FSN: Gophers defense has to replace top talent but may be deeper in '14

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

That gives Minnesota seven 2013 starters coming back and 18 returners that played in at least 10 different games last season. The Gophers also signed linebacker Cody Poock from the junior college ranks, and the Okoboji, Iowa native has a shot at cracking the two-deep this fall.

"(Our belief) has always been to play more kids if they're capable of being productive," Claeys said.

Said Kill: "I think we'll be even deeper."

http://msn.foxsports.com/north/stor...ay-be-deeper-in-14-030614?cq_ck=1394162209047

Go Gophers!!

STrib blog: Gophers could have two true freshmen playing this fall on the defensive line

“I’m going to tell you straight up that Roland and Ra’Shede -- pound for pound -- were our strongest people in the middle, and replacing them isn’t going to be easy,” defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys said last week. “But at the same time, you’ve got two kids in there who took just as many reps and played awfully well and just didn’t get the publicity in Cameron Botticelli and Scott Ekpe.

“They will hold us up in the middle fine, and we’re going to have to rely on Shoobee Timms and Steven Richardson and Gary Moore and some of those kids to give us the depth in there. We redshirted Demarius Peppers, and I feel good about where that’s at.

“So there’s going to be some names in there that people haven’t heard of, and they’re going to be younger, but I feel like we cannot lose ground up front.”

Richardson is listed at just 6-foot tall, but he was 285 pounds, and the Gophers were ecstatic to get him. On National Signing Day, Coach Jerry Kill compared Richardson to Pittsburgh’s All-American Aaron Donald.

“Steve can run 4.7,” Kill said, of the scouting report he received from Mt. Carmel coach Frank Lenti. “And again, I’m going to believe it because he was at Mt. Carmel, and the last player I got out of Mt. Carmel – Jordan Lynch.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/249006131.html

Go Gophers!!

Anyone else notice that going into the season with wide open playing time available at DT, that Claeys has mentioned every possible player option including all of all the true Freshmen except one. Jordan Hinojosa. Not a single mention this year. That can't be good.

Anyone else notice that going into the season with wide open playing time available at DT, that Claeys has mentioned every possible player option including all of all the true Freshmen except one. Jordan Hinojosa. Not a single mention this year. That can't be good.

Probably not good for Hinojosa at least, but hey, you never know... He could show up at some time too.

Sometimes the quiet guys are the ones that show up at gametime.

Sent from my MUCH i5 using Tapatalk

I did notice that, specifically because he is one of the guys I was excited to see this year.

Doghouse? Just not playing well?

I thought he looked really, really good in the spring game last year. Talented guy, had some decent offers. Tough to figure.

Hope it's just an oversight or they're using reverse psychology to try and motivate him.

In another thread there is some video from practice so far this spring, and Jordan is all over the tape. I'm not going to read anything into that other than he's not being buried, and is getting some run from the coaches.

In another thread there is some video from practice so far this spring, and Jordan is all over the tape. I'm not going to read anything into that other than he's not being buried, and is getting some run from the coaches.

I am not worried that his name was not brought up. He'll be in the rotation at DT.

On the offensive side, I am more worried about the health status of Bobek. This game is especially hard on centers.

Top Bottom