From The Wisconsin Board - Paul Jesperson

Per Rivals

Per Rivals he is a 6'6" PG from Merrill, Wisconsin. Class of 2011.

Has offers from Arizona State, Colorado State, Green Bay, Loyola (Ill), Nodak State, Northern Iowa, San Diego, Sodak State

http://rivals.yahoo.com/wisconsinpreps/basketball/recruiting/player-Paul-Jesperson-88940

Per http://www.recruitingplanet.com/for...recruiting/21486-11-wi-sf-paul-jesperson.html

"Currently ranked No. 7 among state prospects in the class of 2011 by Wishoops.net, Jesperson is an accurate perimeter shooter with excellent size, length and ball handling skills."

I believe UW-Milwaukee and Butler have both offered Jesperson as well. If you're excited by slow white dudes from Wisconsin that have decent height and can shoot from outside, great. Not a guy that is going to help the U get to where they should be.

He's in the 2011 class and actually has progressed relatively well, but I don't see much of an upside.

He was on campus in October as well, hanging out at TCF Bank Stadium in the rain, watching us get beat by Bucky.

He could turn out to be an guy that hits a couple of threes a game and contributes to a mid-major, but not a guy I see as a Gopher.

Gopher Warrior: May I be so bold as to ask why you had to comment about...""If you're excited by slow white dudes from Wisconsin..."" in your post? That took away, from me anyway, any credibility of the rest of your post.

If you're excited by slow white dudes from Wisconsin that have decent height and can shoot from outside, great. Not a guy that is going to help the U get to where they should be.

He could turn out to be an guy that hits a couple of threes a game and contributes to a mid-major, but not a guy I see as a Gopher.

You seem to know every player that is a mid-major talent vs Gopher worthy. May I ask how you know so much?

I watched Jesperson play at the Pulley tournament for abour a half with Ole this summer and he is a nice looking prospect. Ole knows alot more about him so I will leave it to him to give a scouting report. I remember his brother was his AAU coach and it was believed he would be a Badger if they offered. Opinions differ on whether he can be effective in the Big Ten, but he has size and can shoot and wasn't just a spot up jump shooter.

Gopher Warrior: May I be so bold as to ask why you had to comment about...""If you're excited by slow white dudes from Wisconsin..."" in your post? That took away, from me anyway, any credibility of the rest of your post.

I didn't have to comment about those facts, but they are facts. Jesperson is a slow white dude from Wisconsin. The rest of my post was opinion (i.e., he's not a guy that will help the U get to where [I believe] they need to be) -- if you disagree or don't want to consider my opinion, that's fine.

9194Gophs said:
You seem to know every player that is a mid-major talent vs Gopher worthy. May I ask how you know so much?

I don't know every player that is a mid-major talent vs Gopher worthy. I have provided a brief opinion on a few players discussed on this board, that's all.

I watched Jesperson play at the Pulley tournament for abour a half with Ole this summer and he is a nice looking prospect. Ole knows alot more about him so I will leave it to him to give a scouting report. I remember his brother was his AAU coach and it was believed he would be a Badger if they offered. Opinions differ on whether he can be effective in the Big Ten, but he has size and can shoot and wasn't just a spot up jump shooter.

Thank you JG.

Do you know if the Gophers have or are considering offering Jesperson?

G Warrior

I didn't have to comment about those facts, but they are facts. Jesperson is a slow white dude from Wisconsin. The rest of my post was opinion (i.e., he's not a guy that will help the U get to where [I believe] they need to be) -- if you disagree or don't want to consider my opinion, that's fine.

I believe the point Doc was making was about the reference to skin color. If Jesperson had been an African American would you have referred to him as black or brown or light tan?

Jesperson is a very interesting prospect, given his size and skills. He is a legit 6'7", but is still rather skinny. He has gotten bigger since the summer, but he still needs to add strength/weight to make himself into a high major prospect. He is a solid athlete, but is not terribly explosive. As far as positives go, he is a very good ball-handler and passer for a player his height. He spends a good deal of time running the point for his HS team, and will handle those duties in AAU play when the games get tight or opponents try to apply pressure. His best skill is shooting the ball. He is obviously tall, but he also has great mechanics and a quick release, which allow him to get off shots even when defended well. He is more than a spot up shooter, but he would probably need to make some physical improvements to excel at other parts of the game at the Big 10 level. I would guess that Paul would probably end up playing primarily SF at the next level.

UW has shown some interest, as recently a holiday tournament in December. However, one of the Badgers' 2010 signees (6'8" forward Duje Dukan) is a similar player and may have effectively taken Jesperson's spot. Arizona St. and Butler are his best offers, and Northwestern is taking a serious look at him too. Carmody and an assistant were at the same holiday event as one of UW's assistants.

Top Bottom