From KFAN: Camp Thoughts

Compared to anything else anyone has done to help promote Goph football in the last 20 years, Gaard is great. He is prepared, he is reasonably knowledgeable about the team and the game, and he does not act like he is getting a bad assignment like a few other local media members do whenever they have to discuss the Gophs. He has been enthusiastic and informed and I appreciate it.
If you think any other college team is getting ESPN level local coverage you are dreaming.

So, positively4thstreet.......care to comment??? Kind of a harsh false allegation you threw out there.

Eh, it's pretty stupid to get worked up about either way, but there was some kerfuffle about it a few years back. Maybe I'm wrong and it wasn't at a practice. I remember Mase giving him crap on-air about it.

If you think any other college team is getting ESPN level local coverage you are dreaming.

Putting into context: the Gophers are (figuratively) fighting for coverage in a market that has NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA franchises, (not to mention the champion WNBA franchise) - plus a number of successful D2 and D3 programs.

For contrast, I used to live in Iowa, and down there, it is Hawkeyes 24/7. Yes, they do give some coverage to Iowa State, Drake, UNI and the smaller colleges, but the Hawkeyes rule (at least they did when I lived down there.). Shoot - before they went to an exclusive radio deal, IA had 3 different state-wide radio networks covering their games.

So, there are other teams that do get more local coverage than the Gophs - but it's because they are the only show in town.

Pretty sure if I foolishly wore an Iowa jacket/shirt/hat to a Gopher practice I would have A) been asked to leave, or B) been used as a tackling dummy for a drill.

Neither of those things happened to me.

Technically, that's not a denial. You qualified the entire statement, and even without that provided a false dichotomy. Besides that, any chance we can sign Meatsauce up for B?

Regardless, I enjoy listening to JG on the various shows he appears on KFAN, and I enjoy the coverage he provides of our beloved Gophers. To expect that everything he writes or says provides insight to the team that no one on Gopherhole has ever heard is a bit absurd. We tend to be the fringe fanatics who know more about the team than just about any local sports person.

JG is in a unique position where he can be both an Iowa and Gopher fan, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. And while I doubt he wore Iowa gear to a Gopher practice, he could have worn it somewhere else when he was with Mason. Or Mason could just be giving him s*** for being an Iowa fan. Or both. If I was Mason, I'd do the same.

Top Bottom