Friday Night Lights coming to B1G football?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Appears that way according to Teddy Greenstein of Chicago Tribune.

I guess that might mean less 11 a.m. starts?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Appears that way according to Teddy Greenstein of Chicago Tribune.

I guess that might mean less 11 a.m. starts?

http://btn.com/2016/11/02/friday-night-football-is-coming-to-the-big-ten-starting-in-2017/

It's official.

6 prime time games

Beginning in 2017, the Big Ten will play six prime-time games on Fridays, likely to be televised by an ESPN channel, FOX, or FS1. None are slated to be BTN. The games will be limited to September and October. And the league is committed to six Friday games for the next six seasons as it begins a new television contract.

Currently all Big Ten games are scheduled for Saturday the 2nd other than the Gophers Thursday game with Buffalo.

Maryland plays Texas and Rutgers plays Washington are the potential big games that could move.

Running out of days of the week for football in general. This is a neat idea, but wonder if there is a bit of oversaturation.

Running out of days of the week for football in general. This is a neat idea, but wonder if there is a bit of oversaturation.

You have a point, but I think a big key, and they touched on it in the BTN article, is that college football seems to be moving away from the Thursday night game. So just switching one day for another probably won't have a huge issue.

But the Thursday NFL combined with it for the normal football fan may fuel your point.

BTW, don't know why, but I'm a big fan of Tuesday night MACtion....

I don't like it at all. Friday nights are for high school football. The Big Ten is leaving a big steaming pile right on the collective face of high school football, and they obviously don't care.

I wanted to hate this when I first heard of it, but then I thought of being able to tailgate and attend a Gopher game while still getting to watch college football all day Saturday without missing a game, and now I like the idea.

I don't even have to see the schedule to know we'll certainly be hosting or participating in one of these a year. Fun [emoji107]

I don't even have to see the schedule to know we'll certainly be hosting or participating in one of these a year. Fun [emoji107]

Michigan said they won't play any Friday games, home or road. I agree with UM's stance, but if they're allowed to refuse, does the same apply to all the other schools?

3 non-conference games, 3 conference games, per B1G, all in September or October.

I don't like it at all. Friday nights are for high school football. The Big Ten is leaving a big steaming pile right on the collective face of high school football, and they obviously don't care.

Yeah, way to crap all over your recruiting hotbed. Not to mention hurting fan attendance at games in non-metro areas and ruining tailgating on those games as well. Plus, the traffic nightmare of regular campus traffic plus football fans at the same time.

Yeah, way to crap all over your recruiting hotbed. Not to mention hurting fan attendance at games in non-metro areas and ruining tailgating on those games as well. Plus, the traffic nightmare of regular campus traffic plus football fans at the same time.

We have the big-picture perspective of college football and high school football relations and college football basically being the bully on the playground and saying "This is mine now." You also have to look at the small-picture perspective and think - these are not just college football fans, but football fans in general. How many of these people have sons, grandsons, nephews, next door neighbor's kid, etc., etc. playing in games on Friday nights? How many of those people are going to leave their seats at college stadiums empty because they literally can't be in two places at once? Just a really stupid move all-around.

Michigan said they won't play any Friday games, home or road. I agree with UM's stance, but if they're allowed to refuse, does the same apply to all the other schools?

I hear on college sports radio that Michigan, Ohio state and penn state will not be playing on Friday nights. I believe the exact wording used was they would "not be asked" to play on Friday night. Perhaps I heard that wrong but if true it seems odd they would NEVER play on that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubt it. We aren't Michigan or Ohio State so we don't have a say in anything.

The only Friday I would like to Gophers to play in would be the Friday of the MEA (or Education Minnesota) conference. There is no HS football on that Friday.

In 2017, the Illinois game is at home on MEA weekend. That would be the only home game I would be in favor of moving.

My thoughts exactly. I hate to see college football step on the high school game. I realize there has been a smattering of Friday games but the B1G historically seemed above stuff like this. The focus on money seems to be further intensifying.

There is literally nothing the Big 10 wouldn't do for an extra dollar.

We have the big-picture perspective of college football and high school football relations and college football basically being the bully on the playground and saying "This is mine now." You also have to look at the small-picture perspective and think - these are not just college football fans, but football fans in general. How many of these people have sons, grandsons, nephews, next door neighbor's kid, etc., etc. playing in games on Friday nights? How many of those people are going to leave their seats at college stadiums empty because they literally can't be in two places at once? Just a really stupid move all-around.

If they buy season tickets there is no lost revenue for the schools. So they don't use their tickets for that one game, it's still paid for. It's obvious the U doesn't care about butts in seats as long as the seat was bought and paid for. TV will still payout and probably at a higher rate since these games will get more exposure.

Perfectly stated.

3 non-conference games, 3 conference games, per B1G, all in September or October.

They also said it would affect up to six teams a year, so I took it as mostly non conference games. Maybe any Pac 12 Non-Conference games will move to Friday's.

Love it. Let's get Michigan State under the lights next year.

The selected games will be revealed this week, as early as Wednesday afternoon. - Chicago Tribune

So how long until the retraction of this idiotic policy?

I'm not as anti this as everyone else.

I remember a Friday night game in 2003.....and the stadium was rocking! Obviously the teams involved had a lot to do with that, but if your team is good, I don't think it really matters what night the game is on; it can be good!

There are ways around this. You could plan ahead if you know what week you're hosting a game and the high schools could have their game on the Thursday (or Saturday) of that week. Suddenly you can make this an event that completely involves the high schools.

I'll live either way, but the main things I don't want to see or hear is 1) "Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State" don't ever have to play them simply because they refuse. This should be a conference thing & all are in or out. And 2) Someone complaining about academics. It's amazing how other sports are able to deal with traveling on any & all days of the week....but somehow, football players have difficulty in this.

I hear on college sports radio that Michigan, Ohio state and penn state will not be playing on Friday nights. I believe the exact wording used was they would "not be asked" to play on Friday night. Perhaps I heard that wrong but if true it seems odd they would NEVER play on that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delaney said they are "reluctant" to ask Michigan, OSU, PSU because of their giant stadiums

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-big-ten-friday-night-games-20161102-story.html

Top Bottom