Freshman Most Likely to Contribute?

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
(Other than Special Teams)

True Freshman: Anthony Smith. The thing we've had the hardest time replacing is the SDE. We have young guys who could definitely step up, the guy from Vandy should help, but Anthony Smith is my guess. I think his future is inside at DT, but there could be some reps at SDE available.

RS Freshman: Jacob Schuster. His name just came up way too often. He plays a position that hasn't been really filled (1-technique) DT and his HS highlights looked incredible. He is probably a year or two away and this is probably a dumb guess from me considering DT/OL are the least likely to contribute right away. But that name just came up a lot.

One way you can really tell that PJ has improved this team was depth. I had to really scratch my head and squint to find FR who could plausibly crack the 2 deeps barring injury. Note, I was going to guess Evans as True Fr because that running back room could either be incredibly deep or incredibly thin depending upon some unknowns.

Who you got?

I think you have a couple likely studs covered on your list. Just to be different, I'll add some other names.

True Freshman: I think Smith and Evans are definitely on top of the list. The other I would add due to his speed and athleticism could be Kristen Hoskins. I could see him making in impact at returner potentially.

RS Freshman: I am very excited about Schuster as well. Another guy I have high hopes for is Steven Ortiz. Could see him working in at nickel. Would be awesome if he can challenge the guys older than him. Also see a lot of potential for LB Devon Williams and TE Jameson Geers.

True Freshman: Anthony Smith. The thing we've had the hardest time replacing is the SDE. We have young guys who could definitely step up, the guy from Vandy should help, but Anthony Smith is my guess. I think his future is inside at DT, but there could be some reps at SDE available.

RS Freshman: Jacob Schuster. His name just came up way too often. He plays a position that hasn't been really filled (1-technique) DT and his HS highlights looked incredible. He is probably a year or two away and this is probably a dumb guess from me considering DT/OL are the least likely to contribute right away. But that name just came up a lot.

One way you can really tell that PJ has improved this team was depth. I had to really scratch my head and squint to find FR who could plausibly crack the 2 deeps barring injury. Note, I was going to guess Evans as True Fr because that running back room could either be incredibly deep or incredibly thin depending upon some unknowns.

Who you got?
I think Schuster has got a shot as they mention him a lot and there are a lot of spots in the d-line rotation up for grabs. I would guess Deven Eastern could be another RS Freshman that could break into the rotation. I would also think Jameson Geers (RS FR) will get some playing time on offense.

Last edited:

I think possibly Hoskins as a true freshman, although we haven't seen the coaches play a lot of different wrs. I'd be surprised if anyone burns a redshirt though unless there are a lot of injuries. As far as redshirt freshmen I think most of the 2021 class will contribute other than the olinemen.

at RB, it all depends on health. If Mo and Potts are back to - or close to - 100%, Evans is probably a red-shirt. But, if Mo and Potts are not close to 100%, then the RB depth chart suddenly becomes Bucky, Williams and Evans. And as we've seen, the #3 RB can become the #2 or even #1 in a hurry.

True Fresh: Hoskins, he brings a different skill set from the other receivers we have, and I think he’s a guy you just find ways to get the ball to.

Redshirt: Ortiz, Walley really stole the show as the freshman corner from that class but coming in I was super pumped for Ortiz, and think he’s gonna find a way onto the field.

It was good that they didn't play both Ortiz and Walley. Burning Walley's red shirts was a necessity. It paid dividends.

Who you got?
I like those DTs who hover around 6'2" 300lbs. They are like giant can openers to pop taller OLs with their lower center of gravity and large mass. It will be even greater if they have twitch and quickness.

If one of the receivers plays over anyone on the team just know that he's not the next Adam Theilen and him transferring out after a year is actually a positive

I think possibly Hoskins as a true freshman, although we haven't seen the coaches play a lot of different wrs. I'd be surprised if anyone burns a redshirt though unless there are a lot of injuries. As far as redshirt freshmen I think most of the 2021 class will contribute other than the olinemen.
If he's got the hands I'd love to see him on punt return. His agility in high school has been electric, though he's mainly been breaking non collegiate players ankles throughout central minnesota

I’d like to see Hoskins and Bucky in at the same time. I would expect a lot of big plays. Give them some space and they’ll take it to the house. Hoskins reminds me of Rondale Moore.

I’d like to see Hoskins and Bucky in at the same time. I would expect a lot of big plays. Give them some space and they’ll take it to the house. Hoskins reminds me of Rondale Moore.
Less muscled, but I see your point. Moore is such a fun athlete to watch.

It's hard for Ture freshman to contribute on the line, on eitherside of the ball, not impossible, but I think Smith and Bixby will need a year or two to get Big Ten bodies. As far as next year goes I know we brought in a couple of transfers at DB, but I think there's an opportunity for someone like Tariq Watson or Rhyland Kelly to crack the two deeps. Both will be here for Spring Ball

Interesting narrative. The helmet schools usually have multiple freshmen playing meaningful minutes. Does that mean they don't have depth? I would say no even though many of their players leave early for the draft. I'm suggesting that true 5 star recruits come to their respective teams with physical talents that surpass those of the players on the roster. Perhaps it's not a plus that we can't get freshman in the starting lineup next year. Just a thought.....

If he's got the hands I'd love to see him on punt return. His agility in high school has been electric, though he's mainly been breaking non collegiate players ankles throughout central minnesota
Those were the only ankles available for him to break. All good so far.

Interesting narrative. The helmet schools usually have multiple freshmen playing meaningful minutes. Does that mean they don't have depth? I would say no even though many of their players leave early for the draft. I'm suggesting that true 5 star recruits come to their respective teams with physical talents that surpass those of the players on the roster. Perhaps it's not a plus that we can't get freshman in the starting lineup next year. Just a thought.....
Yeah, I think that is true with 5 star recruits. Those programs also have quicker turnover because of the NFL. Ohio State will usually be one of the youngest teams in the Big 10.

I think it's a sign the Gophers have significantly more depth now than in the past because your scenario (5 star NFL type that must see the field) wasn't the reason so many FR and RS FR were in our two deeps. It was necessity.

Yes, it’s not a plus that we aren’t getting five star talent. It is a plus as Bob said that we don’t have to play three star guys that aren’t ready. With so many COVID year guys I’d expect less from the young players.

Those were the only ankles available for him to break. All good so far.
Agreed -- I was bringing it up because Moore was doing more impressive things against more skilled players than Hoskins has. He's facing better competition on the basketball court and looking athletic as well.

Along with Schuester and Ortiz from the 21 class, I'm interested to see if Deven Eastern is ready to make an impact. Guessing at 3-tech.
Agreed -- I was bringing it up because Moore was doing more impressive things against more skilled players than Hoskins has. He's facing better competition on the basketball court and looking athletic as well.
No question it's easier to prove yourself playing highest caliber high school football. But you have to take a shot with a guy who really dominates and runs 4.2. If he can't break in at WR for a year or two returning kicks might be the wild card early.

I disagree. You can tell a lot of things in high school videos. Fleck said that Hoskins has a skill set that we haven’t had. I take him at his word.

I disagree. You can tell a lot of things in high school videos. Fleck said that Hoskins has a skill set that we haven’t had. I take him at his word.
whats he suppose to say, coaches compliment their recruits and always think their the next best thing, if not why would we recruit them. The real question is how do incoming freshman handle the rigors of college football along with having to compete against players of equal or better talent. Who will embrace the grind!!!

Redshirts: Steven Ortiz (CB) and Austin Booker (Edge). Both will have a path to playing time.

True: They will avoid burning the redshirt on any true freshman - particularly Zach Evans - unless they absolutely have to due to injuries.

Haven’t analyzed it but I think if you have talent and are the best player at the position or are projected to be four or five games in…then PJ plays those guys.

So it seems burning redshirts is an outdated philosophy/term for top talent. They are either going to declare for the NFL draft or transfer because they didn’t play. We coax the marginal guys to move on so we can add better prospects from the transfer portal. Different time now.

Great for guys who will be here 5 years or are not ready to play as freshman. …they need to get stronger, quicker, faster. And excellent they don’t HAVE to play because we have no depth and they are forced to fill in. But, if you are the best guy…play em..don’t save em.

Yes, it’s not a plus that we aren’t getting five star talent.

Well, always remember two things:

1) There really aren't many 5 star freshman football recruits anyway. For 2022, 247 Sports has 33, Rivals has 29, and ESPN has 18. With that small of a sample, I don't think they make a tremendous impact collectively on college football. ESPN had fourteen 5-star recruits in 2021. Only 4 of them went to the Big Ten (three to Ohio State and one to Maryland) so not getting 5 stars is the general rule in the Big Ten unless you're talking about Ohio State. In 2020, ESPN had 17 5-star recruits; only two went to the Big Ten (both to Ohio State).

2) Some of those 5 star players don't have 5 star careers. Northwestern has had two 5 star QB transfers in recent years and neither one of them has played like one might expect for a 5 star.

Football remains a tougher sport than basketball when it comes to evaluating the potential of recruits coming out of the HS/Prep ranks.

Last edited:

Top Bottom