fresh legs

Jim V2

Reaction score
IN a different thread, Underground accurately pointed out that Rodney won't be at all tired for tomorrow's game. But not only that, Hoff is the only guy that played much more than 2/3 the game, and Nolen is another starter that played less than half the game.

Our depth should give us a big boost tomorrow, regardless of who we play.

IN a different thread, Underground accurately pointed out that Rodney won't be at all tired for tomorrow's game. But not only that, Hoff is the only guy that played much more than 2/3 the game, and Nolen is another starter that played less than half the game.

Our depth should give us a big boost tomorrow, regardless of who we play.
I have a confession, one I'm not particularly proud of, but when Nolen picked up that double foul and went to the sideline I was sort of happy that he was out of the game.

With Al on the floor, I sometimes feel the Gophers are playing four-against-five on the offensive end. But for some reason, every so often Nolen gets the idea that he's a scorer and for that possession Nolen plays one-against-five on offense. He comes down the floor and every fan, every coach, every teammate and yes, even every opposing player knows he's going to try and get his shot. When this happens against a quality team, as it did a couple times last night, the result is usually very bad for the Gophers.

Please Al, accept the fact that scoring will never be your strong point and try to (gasp!) pass the ball into the post for a change.

Mikie, you've really suffered our man in the PG dept for as long as I can remember. I hope for your sake this year puts you out of your misery!

JimV, you make a good point - in a tourney like this, stamina and depth matter a great deal. How deep are our remaining opponents?

I don't understand why Nolen is quite so hated on here. He can be frustrating at times on offense, but I don't think he's as bad as people make it sound on here. Has Cobbs really looked THAT good that we'd be better off with him starting?

Mikie, you've really suffered our man in the PG dept for as long as I can remember. I hope for your sake this year puts you out of your misery!

JimV, you make a good point - in a tourney like this, stamina and depth matter a great deal. How deep are our remaining opponents?
You are absolutely incorrect!

Aren't you old enough to remember Terrance Simmons or Eric Harris? I even did a few "Mea Culpas" for saying it would be a long long year if Aaron Robinson was our starting PG, because he won me over in 2004-5.

Now Moonlight, tell the truth ... haven't you suffered just a bit with a lot of the recent Gopher PGs?

Absolutely wrong, Mikie!

You are absolutely incorrect!

Aren't you old enough to remember Terrance Simmons or Eric Harris? I even did a few "Mea Culpas" for saying it would be a long long year if Aaron Robinson was our starting PG, because he won me over in 2004-5.

Now Moonlight, tell the truth ... haven't you suffered just a bit with a lot of the recent Gopher PGs?
I'm speaking as long as I remember reading here. I can't speak for your lifetime of gopher watching.
As far as suffering is concerned, I'm optimistic that the developing players we have now will fill the role better than recent memory - or nightmare if we think too hard. And remember A-Rob only won you over for one season. This gives Al plenty of time left on your redemption clock!

While the role of PG can be the big difference maker, it can also reflect the problems and lack in a team. Is the team glass be half-empty or the PG glass half-full? Would the universe exist without a sentient being to experience it? These are the questions we must consider before we wish for foul trouble for our starting PG, Mikie.

I'm speaking as long as I remember reading here. I can't speak for your lifetime of gopher watching.
As far as suffering is concerned, I'm optimistic that the developing players we have now will fill the role better than recent memory - or nightmare if we think too hard. And remember A-Rob only won you over for one season. This gives Al plenty of time left on your redemption clock!

While the role of PG can be the big difference maker, it can also reflect the problems and lack in a team. Is the team glass be half-empty or the PG glass half-full? Would the universe exist without a sentient being to experience it? These are the questions we must consider before we wish for foul trouble for our starting PG, Mikie.

Let's not forget his hatred for Adam Boone - I remember having many very debates with Mikie about Adam.

I do have a question, Mikie - were you happy with Nolen his Freshman year? He had a few rough games last year, but I recall his 1st half of the season being pretty solid until he struggled a bit.

Moonlight,

I don't consider Portland deep. They have a VERY good 3-point shooting team that was really on last night. But they only had about 7 people play until garbage time, and the scoring wasn't balanced. And 3-point shooting teams are most succeptible to fatigue--once your legs get tired you don't have quite the lift and it's really hard to adjust your shot for that from way out. PLus, their style of play can be very effective on a good night against a half-court defense type team like UCLA, but it's much tougher--and more tiring--when you're getting hounded up and down the court.

It looks like we'll be playing WV if we win, although their game isn't quite over yet. But I really don't know enough about them to comment on depth. Maybe somebody else does.

Moonlight,

I don't consider Portland deep. They have a VERY good 3-point shooting team that was really on last night. But they only had about 7 people play until garbage time, and the scoring wasn't balanced. And 3-point shooting teams are most succeptible to fatigue--once your legs get tired you don't have quite the lift and it's really hard to adjust your shot for that from way out. PLus, their style of play can be very effective on a good night against a half-court defense type team like UCLA, but it's much tougher--and more tiring--when you're getting hounded up and down the court.

It looks like we'll be playing WV if we win, although their game isn't quite over yet. But I really don't know enough about them to comment on depth. Maybe somebody else does.

Right on JV2. I wouldn't be surprised to see a little more press as well. Our depth and intensity will wipe them out.

Let's not forget his hatred for Adam Boone - I remember having many very debates with Mikie about Adam.

I do have a question, Mikie - were you happy with Nolen his Freshman year? He had a few rough games last year, but I recall his 1st half of the season being pretty solid until he struggled a bit.
I've been trying to leave Boone in the past.

With Al Nolen??? He's a good defender and protects the ball. But he's an ill fit for a team that struggles so much in the half-court game. Not entirely his fault, but it's a lot his fault.

Last night?? He hit his first shot and then decided to go one against five the next couple trips down the court. That is not his game (or shouldn't be) and he clearly got frustrated (as he did so often in the conference schedule last year) when his forced shots did not fall (as they so rarely do).

Was I happy with his freshmen year? Of course. Solid 1st half last year? Pretty much so, although even at that time I was pointing out some chinks that became pretty obvious once the Big Ten games started. Do we have an alternative? Perhaps not last year when Joseph wasn't quit ready. But a few more games like last night and I think Tubby will be looking for an alternative.

So my question for others: "Do you see improvement in Nolen's game from the freshman season that surprised us all?"

Top Bottom