Freiermuth: “I don’t think they have the caliber of tight end room”

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
“I'm aware of it," Freiermuth said of Minnesota tight end's low reception numbers. "Obviously, and not any disrespect to Minnesota or anything, but I don't think they have the caliber of tight end room, not just me specifically but the whole tight end room. So I think that's a big emphasis. They told me they wanted to get an offensive coordinator that was going to throw the ball to the tight end, so I'm excited to get in there."

Funny stuff. He sounds nervous.

I guess whatever makes him feel better to think. As best I could find, WMU had 17 TE passes in 2016, 3 in 2015, 10 in 2014, 6 in 2013.

He’s spoken to Kirk, so I wonder if “caliber of TE room” was the excuse that was given.

Enjoy not getting the football Penn State TEs

Maybe take a knee for 2020 and enter the draft. Why bother?

Yeah meant why risk injury getting rolled up on as an in line blocker.

He’s not eligible until next year. This coaching change could cost him millions!

He lines up as a WR on a ton of plays. Even if KC doesn't throw more to the TEs, he should still have a big year.

I’ve read this quote 20 times and I am confused by the wording. Am I missing something? What’s a tight end room? And perhaps I’m terrible with syntax and structure, which I probably am, but it reads like a 4th grade writing level.

I’ve read this quote 20 times and I am confused by the wording. Am I missing something? What’s a tight end room? And perhaps I’m terrible with syntax and structure, which I probably am, but it reads like a 4th grade writing level.

Same. We don't have the caliber of tight end room? I get what he is trying to say....but it seems like the dude just made that phrase up.

Same. We don't have the caliber of tight end room? I get what he is trying to say....but it seems like the dude just made that phrase up.

He’s saying our tight ends aren’t good enough to be an integral part of our passing game. At least that’s what he’s saying to try to make himself feel better. Kirk’s passing game revolves around slow developing routes by the WRs. The TE is needed for blocking. Unless he doesn’t get to run his own offense, or unless they have an unbelievable OL, going forward, I’m not sure why it would change much. They’ll probably give him more targets than Paulson got, but his production will most likely drop.

He's not wrong.

I like BSF but what have Paulsen, Kieft, Witham or Beebe from last year done to merit targets over Bateman, Johnson, Douglas and CAB? Aside from BSF, none of are other TE's are fluid pass catchers . Same with Wozniak.

I'd be surprised if Freiermuth wasn't their leading pass catcher next year. He is good.

Maybe we need to build a TE room?

Like the linemen facility they wanted.

With Freiermuth being one of PSU's best receivers, Ciarocca will not be able to run a similar offense at PSU. With the Gophs, he used the TE position heavily for pulling, trapping and power blocking at the point of attack including in the RPO. No way in hell he uses Freiermuth for that. The blocking scheme will need to change.

With Freiermuth being one of PSU's best receivers, Ciarocca will not be able to run a similar offense at PSU. With the Gophs, he used the TE position heavily for pulling, trapping and power blocking at the point of attack including in the RPO. No way in hell he uses Freiermuth for that. The blocking scheme will need to change.
Kirk always said he called plays that he thought his guys demonstrated they could make.

I assume that speaks to a fairly pragmatic approach rather than a guy who is stuck in his system.

Is the RPO offense the Gophers run more PJ's offense or KC's offense? Do offensive coordinators at the college level run the offense they are given to run by the HC, or do they bring their offense to the table? Just wondering where we'll see the most change with this move, here or at State College.

Kirk always said he called plays that he thought his guys demonstrated they could make.

I assume that speaks to a fairly pragmatic approach rather than a guy who is stuck in his system.
See post #3. I think the kid is going to be pretty disappointed.

I think I read that PSU has 8+ WRs who were rated 4* or higher. I ain't saying Freiermuth won't catch some balls, but you gotta think the team's WR numbers go way up...

Kirk ran plenty of 3 and 4 WR sets with 1 or zero TE's on passing downs. I don't think it changes much, just that Freiermuth would be lined up as one of the WR's that would otherwise come off the field. And he can still use him for blocking on the 2 TE sets.

Is the RPO offense the Gophers run more PJ's offense or KC's offense? Do offensive coordinators at the college level run the offense they are given to run by the HC, or do they bring their offense to the table? Just wondering where we'll see the most change with this move, here or at State College.
Yes

What kind of offense did Kirk run during his stint at Rutgers? That didn’t go very well for him.

Top Bottom