Freiermuth: “I don’t think they have the caliber of tight end room”

Same. We don't have the caliber of tight end room? I get what he is trying to say....but it seems like the dude just made that phrase up.

[Insert position here] room is extremely common parlance when referring to a team’s collective capability at [insert position here]

I’ve read this quote 20 times and I am confused by the wording. Am I missing something? What’s a tight end room? And perhaps I’m terrible with syntax and structure, which I probably am, but it reads like a 4th grade writing level.
The Tight End Room is a gay nightclub near State College. It attracts football players and truckers.

[Insert position here] room is extremely common parlance when referring to a team’s collective capability at [insert position here]

It can't be that common....considering how many of us have never heard of it.

I thought we just built a new tight end room a year ago. Perhaps it didn't have enough power outlets? The lighting was too harsh? Can't get the damn video conferencing to work?

Each position group has meetings. You all have heard of the quarterback room. Same thing.
He’s just saying their tight ends are more talented than ours. How could anybody argue that...much less make fun?

Each position group has meetings. You all have heard of the quarterback room. Same thing.
He’s just saying their tight ends are more talented than ours. How could anybody argue that...much less make fun?
We can make fun because we can.

If he keeps him.... doesn’t the OC get some choice in his assistants?

I'm sure he does, but Limegrover has recruiting roots out east, and OL play wasn't their big concern in at Penn St, and I don't think they're looking for a big staff overhaul.

He's not wrong.

I like BSF but what have Paulsen, Kieft, Witham or Beebe from last year done to merit targets over Bateman, Johnson, Douglas and CAB? Aside from BSF, none of are other TE's are fluid pass catchers . Same with Wozniak.

I'd be surprised if Freiermuth wasn't their leading pass catcher next year. He is good.
Paulsen was a 3* 85 grade from 247, and their 2nd best player in Kentucky for the class of 2017, for whatever that is worth. He played DL and TE in high school. Gopher bio says:
"
as a senior, made 25 catches for 328 yards and three touchdowns as his team finished 14-1 and won a state championship, made 67 tackles (42 solo), which included nine in the state championship game, had 18 sacks and 22 tackles for loss as he was named All-State Second Team by The Courier-Journal as a defensive lineman
"

Seems like, maybe I don't know, throw him a couple balls and see what happens???

Penn St threw to the TE more because they didn't have the caliber of WR that the Gophers had this year. No disrespect to the Penn St WR's.
They also threw fades to a short wide receiver ... i'm not sure they knew what they were doing.

Penn St had an excellent WR ... his name is KJ Hamler. Not sure what post-season awards or all-conf teams he will make, but he might turn pro after the Cotton Bowl.

Paulsen was a 3* 85 grade from 247, and their 2nd best player in Kentucky for the class of 2017, for whatever that is worth. He played DL and TE in high school. Gopher bio says:
"
as a senior, made 25 catches for 328 yards and three touchdowns as his team finished 14-1 and won a state championship, made 67 tackles (42 solo), which included nine in the state championship game, had 18 sacks and 22 tackles for loss as he was named All-State Second Team by The Courier-Journal as a defensive lineman
"

Seems like, maybe I don't know, throw him a couple balls and see what happens???

Cool, you googled out TE. He is still nowhere near the pass catcher that Freiermuth is.

We had one of the most efficient passing games in the country and GH is complaining. Maybe, just maybe, the playcalling was working.

We don't deserve nice things.

He is still nowhere near the pass catcher that Freiermuth is.
I have no reason to trust your assessment.

Until a reasonable argument is given, I will maintain that my opinion/philosophy -- which is worthless -- is that Paulson should've been out on pass-catching routes more often and/or targeted more often.

Wasn't Paulsen the one who dropped the pass where he was absolutely as wide open as you can get...? So just maybe KC had his reasons for keeping them in to block and I am NOT defending KC by any means, but that TE play sticks out to me when thinking of passing to the TE's more.

Paulson had the comically bad drop but he’s also had several nice receptions down the middle. Sounds like certain starting WR catch rate and we don’t rip on him too much...

KC had his reasons for not integrating the tight ends (more) as some have mentioned but the reason they can be effective - an unexpected target and a size mismatch - remain attractive. Hard to complain too much about the offense... guys just didn’t execute vs WI and IA. Sure, maybe could have caught them napping (no sure thing) but that’s water under the bridge

“Guys just didn’t execute against vs WI and IA”

This is correct, I have no doubt ... but more importantly, is it reasonable?

Passing is more difficult to execute. And the farther the throw, and tighter the coverage, plus factors like weather, the difficulty goes up exponentially.

If that weren’t true, everyone would only ever pass the ball.

So, is it reasonable to say “fellas, we need you to make tremendous plays through the air, if we’re going to win each week ... otherwise, we’ll probably lose”.

“Guys just didn’t execute against vs WI and IA”

This is correct, I have no doubt ... but more importantly, is it reasonable?

Passing is more difficult to execute. And the farther the throw, and tighter the coverage, plus factors like weather, the difficulty goes up exponentially.

If that weren’t true, everyone would only ever pass the ball.

So, is it reasonable to say “fellas, we need you to make tremendous plays through the air, if we’re going to win each week ... otherwise, we’ll probably lose”.

Yes it is reasonable. That’s what you do when you have two NFL caliber WRs and a good QB. You expect tremendous players to make tremendous plays.

IMHO, you don't need the TE to be as dominant as Pat Freiermuth. If they comprise 10-15% of the receptions, they will be making it more difficult for defenders because there is an added threat to defend.

Yes it is reasonable. That’s what you do when you have two NFL caliber WRs and a good QB. You expect tremendous players to make tremendous plays.

It’s not always going to work, for whatever reason. In the Wisconsin game, it was the snow, apparently. The receivers had a difficult time adjusting to the ball in the air. It sure would have been nice to have options. This wasn’t the balanced offense that some people claim. We were able to run the ball in about half of the games. In the other half....stuffed. We beat up on a lot of bad defenses plus Penn State. We also struggled with consistency against some mediocre to bad defenses, but got away with it, because of our great receivers and QB.

All things considered, the offense has been a mixed bag.

Top Bottom