Fox 9: Daniel Oturu's message to Minnesota prep stars: 'Come to the U'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fox 9:

He wasn’t the first Minnesota native to commit to staying home and playing for the Gophers, but he’s certainly among the most passionate. Oturu, if not for Iowa’s Luka Garza, would be the favorite for the Big Ten Player of the Year and could leave the Gophers after this season to test the NBA Draft process. Regardless of what the future holds, he values wearing Minnesota across his chest and wants other local kids to do the same.

Minnesota has some of the best high school talent in the country, and it can be a top program if kids stay home. So far this year, Jalen Suggs is headed to Gonzaga, Dawson Garcia is going to Marquette, Dain Dainja is going to Baylor and Ben Carlson and Steven Crowl are headed to Wisconsin next year. The top local uncommitted prospect left? Hopkins guard Kerwin Walton.

“I feel like a lot of kids feel like it depends on what school you go to will help you. But to me, if you’re good enough, they’ll find you. Why not stay home? Why not help build a program here? Why not make Minnesota a powerhouse? I obviously sound biased, but we have so much talent here. It’s kind of disappointing to see not a lot of kids want to stay home, but at the same time, it’s a huge opportunity here to be able to play in front of your family, your friends, your home state,” Oturu said last week. “I just don’t see why people pass that up. At the end of the day, come to the U.”

Go Gophers!!

Always respected that staying home was one of his top priorities. Certainly not the case for the others. Everyone has their own criteria. Some want Duke, some want Kansas, some want to get away, some want to play for a legend or a brand. He wanted to stay home.

Thanks for being a Gopher and playing for what’s on the front of your shirt! You are a tremendous player and young man, keep recruiting!!

Always respected that staying home was one of his top priorities. Certainly not the case for the others. Everyone has their own criteria. Some want Duke, some want Kansas, some want to get away, some want to play for a legend or a brand. He wanted to stay home.
Yep. It’s a concept you are unfamiliar with called home-state pride. Daniel has it in spades. I wish more kids did.

On one hand, I roll my eyes at the 'home state pride' notion and find it just the Minnesotan-est

I take no pride in knowing I'm from a state where a lot of good basketball players are also from and I don't root for Minnesota kids at other schools unless I'm a fan of said school (UNC and Gonzaga plus some bandwagon ones depending on the year) or MN kids on this team any more than I root for out-of-state kids on this team.

On the other, I root for the team so I must have some sort of state pride I guess. I just want the team I like to be good, and if getting kids from here makes them better, I'm a fan of those kids. If any of those kids hear what Oturu says, and it helps swing their pendulum towards picking the Gophers, I appreciate that Oturu is out there spreading the good word.

On one hand, I roll my eyes at the 'home state pride' notion and find it just the Minnesotan-est

I take no pride in knowing I'm from a state where a lot of good basketball players are also from and I don't root for Minnesota kids at other schools unless I'm a fan of said school (UNC and Gonzaga plus some bandwagon ones depending on the year) or MN kids on this team any more than I root for out-of-state kids on this team.

On the other, I root for the team so I must have some sort of state pride I guess. I just want the team I like to be good, and if getting kids from here makes them better, I'm a fan of those kids. If any of those kids hear what Oturu says, and it helps swing their pendulum towards picking the Gophers, I appreciate that Oturu is out there spreading the good word.
I am with you Biggs- I just want a good team of kids that want to be here. The one thing I will give the "get the Minnesota players" guys is that IF we could ever get a consistent pipeline and kids grew up wanting to play at the U, we could have an ideal situation long term where you get more 4 star and maybe even an occasional 5 star player locally. Otherwise, just get the best players you can.

So, to me it is fantastic that Oturu has that spirit and we need more of it.

I love what he said.

What he said, stands on its own.

Just wonder if some kids are going to see this and say something like “yeah OK, says the guy who’s about to leave for the NBA :rolleyes: “.

I understand that many kids just want to go elsewhere, and that is their right. I wonder if some go away because they are highly rated and feel like it's expected of them to go away, especially to a "top program" like Duke, Gonzaga, Arizona, etc. Perhaps Daniel's experience at (and positive attitude toward) the home state school can help reverse that trend. If he has success at the next level, it might just make staying home cool again. Thank you, Daniel!

I love what he said.

Just wonder if some kids are going to see this and say something like “yeah OK, says the guy who’s about to leave for the NBA :rolleyes: “.
He is a great role model for talented kids who might aspire to leave for the NBA early.

I love what he said.

I don't think so. They all want to do what he probably is about to. If he leaves, he has done himself and the Gophers a great job. As he said, "If you are good enough, they will find you."

I hope he becomes an NBA all star (he just might) and when our games are on TV they pan over the the crowd and there he is. We have lacked that legacy to a great degree...guys who succeed and then stick around and cheer on the program.

Oturu's family situation is also a little different than your typical situation, being from an immigrant family. From all accounts he is very close to his parents and younger siblings and active in his church. I have no doubt that is one of the major reasons why he chose the Gophers, so he could maintain that contact with his family.

another HS prospect might not feel that same desire to stay close to their family. Shoot, they might want to get away from their family.

And as far as home-state pride - today's HS recruits have never known a time in their lives when the Gophers were really relevant on a national level - let alone on a conference level. The Final Four team was 23 years ago. so, for some 16 or 17-year-old kid, it's ancient history.

I understand that many kids just want to go elsewhere, and that is their right. I wonder if some go away because they are highly rated and feel like it's expected of them to go away, especially to a "top program" like Duke, Gonzaga, Arizona, etc. Perhaps Daniel's experience at (and positive attitude toward) the home state school can help reverse that trend. If he has success at the next level, it might just make staying home cool again. Thank you, Daniel!

I'm grateful for Daniel being his own man and showing some local honor. I hope he has a HOF NCBA career.

Sadly, the more I hear, the high end players are heavily influenced by their club associations. That bothers me. For all the hand wringing about "getting the local recruits" there has to be a back story that no one wants to tell for fear of losing insider status with the people in the know.

These kids that have the talent to play for the University and choose to stay with their state school demonstrate a lot of character. They seem to recognize that there were many who supported them through the years and feel some obligation to them and their school to play here. Who would not want to stay and make their home team better, even a national contender? Who has supported them over the years, Duke fans, Wisconson fans, Iowa fans? I think of Tyler Johnson, Oturu, Kalscheur, Omersa, M. Hurt, Annexstad, Coughlin, Andries and too many others to mention. These kids stayed home and had a great experience at a great university.

Gee Wiz Wally ...I thought Pitino is a lousy coach and nobody in their right mind from Minnesota is stupid enough to play for him when they have other options....He must be getting paid to endorse such a crap coach and crap program

Way to turn this thread from a strong statement by a future NBA star to play for the home team as a good thing TO - That's cute (but respectible), Oturu wants to "Stay Home" - Most want to play for a big name or a legend or just "Get away".

Thanks buddy! Good to see you are always consistent plugging for your client coaches and to support your local scouting business.

P.S. Congrats on your team winning the BigTen.

OK Daniel, it’s your turn. Announce you will be staying at the UMN for next season as you have unfinished business. Keep encouraging others to follow suit.

After watching Eli King last night... wow, I'd like that kid to be a gopher. He's a much different player than a year go.

Now, I’m jumping the gun a bit with this comment, as Daniel hasn’t been drafted yet. But... here it goes: Daniel is a shining example of the complete bullsh!t narrative that you should go to Puke, NC, Kentucky or some other “blue blood”, if you get the chance, so that you will have a better chance of being drafted. That is such crap. As Daniel said, the NBA will find you regardless of what school you attend. It might even help you as you get more minutes to showcase your talent. Here is my dream scenario: Daniel returns for one more season, becomes a high % three-point shooter, improves other areas of his game, becomes 1st-team all Big 10, and becomes a lottery pick. Maybe that will shut up some of the blue-blood lovers on this forum and pave the way for more top-tier kids to pick MN as their school.

OK Daniel, it’s your turn. Announce you will be staying at the UMN for next season as you have unfinished business. Keep encouraging others to follow suit.

I applaud Daniel Oturo for coming out and helping the Gophers recruit. I agree that it would be nice if he stays home an extra year. I wished Amir Coffey did because I think they could have had a special season together.

Other players will develop, but Oturo may be the missing ingredient next season as Amir Coffey was this season.

You have to give instate recruits a reason to reconsider. Daniel, if you are reading this - please stay home an extra year and help recruit.

Not that he was ever going to do anything differently, but let me say to Dan if you're reading this: do exactly what is best for no one other than yourself and your family !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You owe the U nothing. You've given us so much already, in a short time. Bless you man, and good luck!

Not that he was ever going to do anything differently, but let me say to Dan if you're reading this: do exactly what is best for no one other than yourself and your family !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You owe the U nothing. You've given us so much already, in a short time. Bless you man, and good luck!
Money is not everything. He will do what he feels is best for his life. I expect that he will go, but some families make decisions not based on money. Fantastic kid and he has our backing either way. I hope he has a great, great NBA career whether he goes now as expected, or waits.

It would be great if Oturu returned for his junior season....but I certainly do not expect him to. Especially if he is projected to be a top ten pick.

Top Bottom