Four-star WR Anthony Brown is the Gophers' first commitment in the class of 2023!!!

Great way to start it off. Can he enroll early and play defense? Like next week?

That’s awesome!!! I saw it mentioned in another thread, but is he related to Michael Brown-Stephens and John Legend?

That’s awesome!!! I saw it mentioned in another thread, but is he related to Michael Brown-Stephens and John Legend?

Yes, he is MBS' younger brother and John's nephew

Playing tOSU on national tv and being competitive in a crazy fun sellout environment definitely helps recruiting. Makes guys say “hey maybe I can push them over the top!”. Receiver room looks bright now and in future!

#302 recruit nationally according to 247. Must mean his brother and parents like PJ.

Stay healthy young man, and keep growing your game. We want to put Iowa and Wisconsin in our rearview mirror.

Good work by PJ Fleck on his 5th season does not go unnoticed. It's smart for Anthony Brown to reserve a spot before recruitment blows up.

The team gets better and better overall. They play an exciting brand of football. Let's sell out the Bank more often.

‘You can’t let Anthony Brown leave Ohio’: Electric 2023 WR is committed to Minnesota, but the Buckeyes are lurking

As a member of the Class of 2023, he has plenty of time before he has to make a final college decision — and there’s plenty of time for other programs to continue evaluating a player who, if he were 2 inches taller or played in a different part of the country, might be ranked higher than the No. 302 overall prospect in the class.

Except Brown isn’t concerned with any of that. He believes he’s already found the right spot, which is why he surprisingly committed to Minnesota on Sept. 4.

“Coach P.J. Fleck is building something great there,” Brown told The Athletic. “I want to be a part of that. I wanted to be a part of something that’s being built, not something that’s already built.”

Landing Brown is no doubt a major coup for Fleck, who’s signed nine composite four-star prospects at Minnesota since 2017. Brown would be another. He’d also represent another nice win in Ohio for Fleck’s program, which holds a commitment from 2022 four-star Lakewood St. Edward linebacker Trey Bixby.

Actually signing Brown, though, could present a challenge.

“I was shocked that he made that move that quick because there’s so much time,” Douglass said. “He got out to a lot of places this summer. But you’re talking about being in your junior year now, and (coaches) can really talk to you. I just think there’s a lot of time in between now and when he has to sign. I’m not saying that means he isn’t going to Minnesota. I know Coach Fleck and they were priming the pump. They were priming the shit out of that pump that weekend. You know? He’d be saying, ‘What a great time to be here,’ and he’ll be talking fast. He’s a fast talker. I like him, but he’s a fast talker. So, we’ll see what happens down the road.”

However, there are other potential larger threats to Minnesota, two programs that haven’t offered just yet.

“Ohio State is probably first, but Notre Dame, they’ve been beating on the door pretty hard,” Douglass said.

Go Gophers!!

No kidding! Sounds like a guy who is more focused on a larger name school for his coaching resume than he is for the recruit to make a decision on what the recruit wants.
There's a lot of weird stuff when it comes to HS coaches and their players. There's really nothing that keeps HS coaches sure to be looking out for the player's best interest. Lots of reasons for them to direct kids for something other than the player's best interest...

For this coach I've no idea, but just generally it is a weird world.

He’d also represent another nice win in Ohio for Fleck’s program, which holds a commitment from 2022 four-star Lakewood St. Edward linebacker Trey Bixby.
I thought he was a DE? I know they are kind of interchangeable if we're talking about our "rush end" but is this guy standing up in high school?

There's a lot of weird stuff when it comes to HS coaches and their players. There's really nothing that keeps HS coaches sure to be looking out for the player's best interest. Lots of reasons for them to direct kids for something other than the player's best interest...

For this coach I've no idea, but just generally it is a weird world.
Coming from a long line of hs football coaches, I hope that isn't the norm!

Top Bottom