Found this little guy at an antique shop in Bemidji

It's a thread about finding a mug while antiquing, and you some how brought that around to your personal political beliefs about present day Minneapolis city council. Amazing.
Another council member, LOL

I remember buying peanuts in a jar like that. They used the "retro" look with the gopher. Fisher was selling peanuts; they weren't concerned about the size of the beer stein.
I concur...the mug was produced much, much later than when the George Grooms gopher was used (1940s) . I remember getting a ton of these same mugs, but only Minnesota Viking versions, in the 70s and 80s.
The other odd thing about the logo is the "M" in the background. I don't ever recall the U officially using an "M" where the bottom middle serif comes all the way down to the baseline, but I could be wrong. Let me know otherwise. I know, font/logo geek...right?
Regardless, great find. I would have snatched it up, too!

I concur...the mug was produced much, much later than when the George Grooms gopher was used (1940s) . I remember getting a ton of these same mugs, but only Minnesota Viking versions, in the 70s and 80s.
The other odd thing about the logo is the "M" in the background. I don't ever recall the U officially using an "M" where the bottom middle serif comes all the way down to the baseline, but I could be wrong. Let me know otherwise. I know, font/logo geek...right?
Regardless, great find. I would have snatched it up, too!
I have seen the "M" like that on some U of M stuff like programs, etc. I don't know that it was ever official, but back then branding wasn't thought of the way it is today. I can't imagine the U not using the official block "M" for anything now, but back then it wasn't a big deal.

I have four of the Viking versions. My mom bought four of them back in the day and I ended up with them.

Called you out for being off topic and you doubled down. :rolleyes:
I have been extremely on topic during this thread and yes, I made a comment replying to someone else's background story of how "Gopher" was alternatively defined and applied to current events. Sorry you got so butt hurt about reality.

Top Bottom