Found this little guy at an antique shop in Bemidji

Very cool.

Reminds me of the 70's but I have no clue if that's when it's from.

Think it would be pretty cool if they would do a remake of the stein/pitcher and make it smaller. Lets face it the beer would be warm by the time you got to the bottom of it. At least it would be for me.

Well that seems pretty fitting for the Minneapolis City Council Gophers these days doesn't it.
If this is true abut how the U got the Gopher nickname, I'll go a little off topic here, and then I'm done, If I remember right, the History Channel had a show called "How the states got their shapes" or something similar. The states of Michigan and Ohio hated each other way back during the land grab days and they were creating borders. Ohio people called Michigan people a bunch of wolverines as in a nasty scavenger thing and was one of the lowest creatures alive. Michigan people said we'll use it because it was an ass kicker and nobody had the courage to confront it. Thus the Michigan Wolverines. OK, I'm done. Back on topic. Nice pitcher Nax.

Circa 1960. I have a banner with five mascots going back to 1937. This one is the fourth, coming right before the present one. There were small variations with some like the claws on the present one during the Holtz years.

Think it would be pretty cool if they would do a remake of the stein/pitcher and make it smaller. Lets face it the beer would be warm by the time you got to the bottom of it. At least it would be for me.
I have the exact same glass as a hand-me-down from my uncle. The photo may be deceiving as the glass is actually fairly small -- tall but narrow. Holds less than a pint glass. The flared top makes it awkward to actually drink from, so mine is for display only.

nice find. I have some old beer steins and pint glasses and would've for sure snapped that up had I found it first!

Article from MPLS paper 10/25/19

It appears Minnesotans have been misled about their beloved gophers.

For more than a century, Minnesota has been known as the Gopher State, a nickname that led the University of Minnesota to adopt a smiling, bucktooth rodent dubbed Goldy Gopher as its school mascot in the 1940s. The Minnesota State Fair named Fairchild the gopher as its official mascot in 1966 then added his nephew, Fairborne the gopher, more than two decades later.

Dressed in civilized attire, the mascots bop around campus and the fairgrounds with their striped tails wagging. And that, according to people who know their rodents, is the telltale sign that what you’re seeing is no true gopher. Instead, it’s likely a thirteen-lined ground squirrel.

But before we get to the nitty-gritty of that, let’s back up a bit. We stumbled onto the gopher-squirrel debate after a reader asked Curious Minnesota how Minnesota became the Gopher State. The question was a top vote-getter at the State Fair, and we decided to nail down the answer as part of our community-driven reporting project fueled by questions from inquisitive readers.

Lori Williamson of the Minnesota Historical Society figures a political cartoon from 1858 likely inspired the moniker.

Legislators in the newly formed state wanted to amend the constitution to enable them to issue credit and loan $5 million to railroad interests, Williamson said. Minnesotans overwhelmingly agreed, voting 25,023 in favor to 6,733 against.

St. Paul artist R.O. Sweeny apparently wasn’t a fan of the plan and drew a cartoon depicting nine legislators as striped rodents with human heads pulling a railroad car full of bond holders, Williamson said. The detailed image includes a devil as the pied piper.

Although Minnesota eventually became known as the Gopher State, the gopher — or the thirteen-lined ground squirrel, for that matter — is not listed among the state’s symbols. The loon, monarch butterfly and walleye, however, are among those designated by law.
------------------------

On a personal note, I also read about Minnesota being known as the beaver state for a while, and also the state was full of holes digging for minerals etc., thus the holes reminded people of Gophers. So who knows.
Back to the thread. Would love to have a Yeti mug with this logo on it. Always have been a fan of the old logo.

Search for Fisher Peanuts beer stein. Fishers appears to have produced them in the 60's and 70's.

Our Gopher name is much like" The Windy City of Chicago" which has nothing to do with actual meteorological winds.

Search for Fisher Peanuts beer stein. Fishers appears to have produced them in the 60's and 70's.
I remember buying peanuts in a jar like that. They used the "retro" look with the gopher. Fisher was selling peanuts; they weren't concerned about the size of the beer stein.

That looks to be it! So that means there was once a lid for this thing at one time too. Ah well. As others have mentioned, it is a bit awkward to drink from. But it is a cool decoration.

Here's mine. I actually have two of them - I am rich! I do have two hands, though. I graduated in '72 so no older than '68. If I had to guess, I would say from '89. I have a pair of Fruit of the Looms that say, "HANG OUT WITH THE GOPHERS" on the back. I know they are form '89. I would include a pic, but . . . you know, they are my PJ's. :giggle:
IMG_2035.jpg

Top Bottom