Former Indiana commit Kiel verbals to LSU

A prima donna? The dude is a senior in high school and has the biggest decision of his life to make. What exactly were you doing at 17? Worrying about how you were going to get drunk on Friday? Yeah, exactly.

I'm sure you'd feel the same way about him if he weren't playing for your favorite school.

Why are you even here?

A prima donna? The dude is a senior in high school and has the biggest decision of his life to make. What exactly were you doing at 17? Worrying about how you were going to get drunk on Friday? Yeah, exactly.
I have no problem with the change of schools, but did he at least contact LSU? If he didn't then, ya prima donna. "Oh, there's a meeting for enrolling early? Ya, I'll be there..." If that's what happened, definitely a prima donna. And before you ask when I was 17 I already knew where I was going to school and was too busy doing homework for Honors English to care about getting drunk. Also, I don't see a point in drinking.

I'm sure you'd feel the same way about him if he weren't playing for your favorite school.

Why are you even here?

Goes both ways. Just lost Ronald Darby and Taylor Decker. I am still a Gopher fan even though it isn't my #1 program.

It is outrageous to chastise someone for making a decision like this. Some people are very indecisive when it comes to a huge decision, especially one that will impact his life for the next 40 years. I do agree that their should be an early signing period so these types of things wouldn't happen, but it is what it is. His uncle was a QB at Notre Dame and it's his home state...it's not that shocking.

G.I.P, If Mcdonald re-commits to the gophers after decommitting from two different programs already, I fully expect you to rain haterade on his Prima Donna a$$ throughout his career. That is all.

I have no problem with the change of schools, but did he at least contact LSU? If he didn't then, ya prima donna. "Oh, there's a meeting for enrolling early? Ya, I'll be there..." If that's what happened, definitely a prima donna. And before you ask when I was 17 I already knew where I was going to school and was too busy doing homework for Honors English to care about getting drunk. Also, I don't see a point in drinking.

No one knows what is going on behind the scenes. This isn't even close to as bad as what the Cal coach did today. Literally locked up the best Cal class ever, and last night accepts a job to coach at Washington leaving Shaq Thompson the #1 safety in the nation and multiple other 4 and 5 star players he recruited without saying a single word to them. It's the nature of the game

G.I.P, If Mcdonald re-commits to the gophers after decommitting from two different programs already, I fully expect you to rain haterade on his Prima Donna a$$ throughout his career. That is all.

Won't deny that McDonald most likely is one. I didn't rain haterade on Kiel. Would I take a prima donna if he was a 5 star recruit? Hell ya. But I won't change my opinion of their character.

No one knows what is going on behind the scenes. This isn't even close to as bad as what the Cal coach did today. Literally locked up the best Cal class ever, and last night accepts a job to coach at Washington leaving Shaq Thompson the #1 safety in the nation and multiple other 4 and 5 star players he recruited without saying a single word to them. It's the nature of the game

What in the world are you talking about?

What in the world are you talking about?

Can you read? Or did you not read the whole thread to understand why I said that? If you followed recruiting closely you would know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, it's tough for Cal and those kids, but the guy had his salary literally tripled. No time is a good time for Coaches to switch schools, it's hard to necessarily blame him.

The recruits have to pick the school and not the assistant coaches.

I don't hold it completely against 16/17/18 year old kids for not sticking to their word. But a lot of people had certain responsibilities and choices to make. When you are a senior in HS, you have to make a lot of choices about which school you want to go (sometimes associated with what profession you might be interested in), a lot of kids join the military, you have jobs, and you do have some responsibility. By 17 years old, your word should mean something. Like I said, I wouldn't completely hold it against a 17 year old for not honoring his word, but it is a sign of being immature for your age.

Couple of thoughts --

1st - I also believe that, when you make a committment, you need to honor it. Situations like this hopefully will send kids a message to make sure before they announce a decision.

But, part of the problem is that there is so much more attention paid to these "verbal" committments. Let's face it - a "verbal" means nothing. What matters is signing the Letter of Intent. Also, recruiting has become (I think) more intensive - with more pressure on the high-profile kids to commit, that some kids may feel pressured to make a committment just to take the pressure off. And, let's not forget that the more aggressive coaches keep recruiting a kid after he makes a "verbal," hoping to convince the kid to change his mind. That's why I think we're seeing more kids decommit and change their minds - pressure from coaches, parents, friends, etc. It's a vicious cycle.

As far as an early signing period, I see pros and cons. If a kid has second thought after signing the Letter of Intent, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. It all comes down to what's right for each individual situation.

"What has been relayed to me is that he wants to come to LSU, but his parents want him at Notre Dame because it is closer to home," Scarborough said.

Can you read? Or did you not read the whole thread to understand why I said that? If you followed recruiting closely you would know what I'm talking about.

It was a simple question, bud. I thought you were talking about Tedford at first and it made absolutely zero sense to me but after some research I found it was the DLine coach. None of the those 4 and 5 star recruits are stuck at Cal. If they want to change their commit, they can.

I fully expect you to rain haterade on his Prima Donna a$$ throughout his career.

Acknowledging the fact that McDonald is a prima donna (which he is) doesn't mean I don't want him on my team. Kiel is a prima donna as well. Treating these athletes as though they are little children who don't understand the ramifications of their decisions is insulting to both them as well as anyone who reads such nonsense. If you're not ready, don't make a commitment. Pretty simple stuff here.

Let's face it - a "verbal" means nothing.

Again, this is just not true. If it were, there wouldn't be a high correlation between the list of verbal commitments on any given date and the list of signees on Signing Day. It's not 100%, but it's also not 0% (aka nothing), and there's a pretty wide berth between those two extremes. In addition, while responsible coaches will always have a backup plan in their pocket, they're going to move away from recruiting positions where they are full of commits to focus on other positions. If a recruit at what the staff thinks is a solid position suddenly flips to somewhere else, it screws over the staff. I'm not saying it's not within their rights to do so (because it absolutely is), but the commit is not meaningless.

Or he's just cleaning house in a program that has averaged 1.3 conference wins over the past 10 years.

Could be, I guess I was more referencing the fact that he got into an on-air feud with two local radio hosts, had the best player in the state commit then promptly de-commit, and now that same players brother and another (at one-time) starting quarterback are leaving school. They are now left to rely on a true sophomore and a JUCO transfer, doesn't seem like a smart way to "clean house".

I don't hold it completely against 16/17/18 year old kids for not sticking to their word. But a lot of people had certain responsibilities and choices to make. When you are a senior in HS, you have to make a lot of choices about which school you want to go (sometimes associated with what profession you might be interested in), a lot of kids join the military, you have jobs, and you do have some responsibility. By 17 years old, your word should mean something. Like I said, I wouldn't completely hold it against a 17 year old for not honoring his word, but it is a sign of being immature for your age.

I agree, but there are also things coming out about the LSU program that definitely scared him off that happened after his recruitment. Everyone thought he was going to Notre Dame until about a week or less before he decided, and I still think he was very torn when he made the decision. In the end he definitely prematurely committed.

BTW if you want summary of the supposed drama that went down between Les, his players and coaches I will send it to you. Rumors of racially divided locker room, coaches not agreeing with each other and players taking certain coaches sides prior to the national championship are running rampant. I definitely think this affected him.

I agree, but there are also things coming out about the LSU program that definitely scared him off that happened after his recruitment. Everyone thought he was going to Notre Dame until about a week or less before he decided, and I still think he was very torn when he made the decision. In the end he definitely prematurely committed.

BTW if you want summary of the supposed drama that went down between Les, his players and coaches I will send it to you. Rumors of racially divided locker room, coaches not agreeing with each other and players taking certain coaches sides prior to the national championship are running rampant. I definitely think this affected him.

What affected him was he had a come to Jesus moment. It is all about the religion angle of Notre Dame that made him finally decide on them.;):p

I don't begrudge a kid for changing his mind. Its part of the process...its a big decision with a lot of factors involved. Once the decision is made...they pretty much just have to live with it. I am much more disturbed at how these coaches are moving around. The Arizona State situation was ridiculous.

He will flame out just like every other top QB prospect who went to Notre Dame in the last 20 years. Dayne Crist? Tommy Rees? Other 4 and 5 star qb's who were highly recruited who we have already forgotten about....

Could be, I guess I was more referencing the fact that he got into an on-air feud with two local radio hosts, had the best player in the state commit then promptly de-commit, and now that same players brother and another (at one-time) starting quarterback are leaving school. They are now left to rely on a true sophomore and a JUCO transfer, doesn't seem like a smart way to "clean house".

I understand what you're saying but can things really get worse than they have been? The old way certainly didn't work.

That's interesting, I have never heard that stuff before. I see your point, but I just think it is still a sign of a bit of immaturity in that he couldn't handle things a little bit better. I don't think it is asking too much to have him call LSU and tell them he wasn't coming. I don't think it's handled the best to simply not show up and then to go elsewhere.

That said, if it's the dumbest thing the kid did at 17, he's got his stuff together more than most 17 year olds. So i'm not going to rip him too much.

I hope he got his decision right, i'm a Notre Dame fan as well (way after the Gophers). But I am a Catholic school kid / Cretin nube, so especially when Cretin kids are there, I find myself rooting for Notre Dame.

Top Bottom