Former Indiana commit Kiel verbals to LSU

Wow, great news for LSU, this might be the guy who finally gets them elite QB play down in Baton Rouge. If this kid really is as good as people say he could be LSU may be the most complete squad for a few years.

No to SEC

It's frustrating to see B1G talent go south to the SEC. We already know how many more players they produce in the SEC states. These midwesterners need to stay in the B1G footprint. It's good for the conference.
Apparently, he wasn't concerned with Academics, and frankly,- why LSU if he has NFL ambition? Remember Jarmarcus Russell? The Gophs have probably had as many QBs on NFL rosters as LSU. (maybe more?)

hate to see this...I was really excited to see the Hoosiers have some big time talent leading them...not good for the big ten at all.

why LSU if he has NFL ambition? Remember Jarmarcus Russell? The Gophs have probably had as many QBs on NFL rosters as LSU. (maybe more?)

In the last 10 years (guys who actually played in the league):

LSU
Craig Nall
Matt Mauck
Matt Flynn
Rohan Davey

Minnesota
Cory Sauter

Plus, LSU had some no-name called Y.A. Tittle. In school history, LSU has sent 14 QBs to play in the NFL; the Gophers, 4 - and one of them was Spergon Wynn.

Putting aside the fact that LSU is my #2 team (not a bandwagon fan btw), I am kind of happy about this for the Gophers because we need every W we can get. It sucks for the B1G and Indiana, but we are competing against IU and not LSU. Anything that helps Minnesota I can't be mad at.

In the last 10 years (guys who actually played in the league):

LSU
Craig Nall
Matt Mauck
Matt Flynn
Rohan Davey

Minnesota
Cory Sauter

Plus, LSU had some no-name called Y.A. Tittle. In school history, LSU has sent 14 QBs to play in the NFL; the Gophers, 4 - and one of them was Spergon Wynn.

Spergon Wynn>>>>Rohan Davey and Mauck....at least he started an NFL game. I understand your argument though.

Spergon Wynn>>>>Rohan Davey and Mauck....at least he started an NFL game. I understand your argument though.

Matt Mauck started a game too (Wynn somehow started a total of 3), and his stats are much better. Spergon Wynn is easily the worst QB in the history of the NFL...at least until Adam Weber gets a chance to play.

Flynn is going to make a boatload of money to be somebody's starting QB in 2012. Keil is obviously free to do whatever he wants, but I'll be rooting for him to fail.

Craig Nall played a bit for LSU, but I doubt he would have made it into the pros had he not transferred to Northwestern State (LA) for his senior year, so I think an asterisk is in order.

The sports talk shows here in NOLA are all Gunner, all the time today. I anxiously await Beano Cook coming on the air to declare Gunner the winner of two future Heisman Trophies.

You implied the gophers sent him to the NFL. Only slightly misleading.

You implied the gophers sent him to the NFL. Only slightly misleading.
I wouldn't say it's misleading, it's specifically pointed out, that he is included in the number. If his ties to the Gophers were solid, there would be no need, too point Spergeon Wynn out.

It's frustrating to see B1G talent go south to the SEC. We already know how many more players they produce in the SEC states. These midwesterners need to stay in the B1G footprint. It's good for the conference.

Why should a recruit give a rats ass about the Big Ten conference? If I'm a top ten recruit with a legitimate shot at the NFL, I'm going to go to a football factory, preferably in a warm weather state. That means most SEC schools, Miami, Texas, FSU and USC.

I'm sure as hell NOT going to go to Indiana.

good point

Why should a recruit give a rats ass about the Big Ten conference? If I'm a top ten recruit with a legitimate shot at the NFL, I'm going to go to a football factory, preferably in a warm weather state. That means most SEC schools, Miami, Texas, FSU and USC.

Good point. So, all top recruits shouldn't even consider the B1G schools even when said schools are local and "home". Got it. We should just fold the league, or integrate with the MAC at the FCS level.

Two of the top three QBs in the league played in the Big Ten conference. NFL QBs can come from pretty much anywhere. NC State, Eastern Illinois, Miami of Ohio, Delaware, Harvard, you get the point.

From reading this board, I have the impression that to many people the B1G and "mid-west" football is more important than the Gophers. I've never understood this logic. Please tell me how Gunner Kiel going to Indiana and leading them to a resurgence in their program and 8+ win seasons is good for the Gophers? I agree it's good for the B1G conference television ratings and power ranking, but who gives a rat's a$$? Shut up with the idea that what's good for the conference is good for the Gophers.

he wants himself a natty, and better yet, to play on the biggest stages in the Southeastern conference. strange time to decommit from your hometown school, and one that your own brother attends don't you think? maybe he wanted to give his brother a chance to do something special at indiana. the 'gunner' was oh so close to following in his uncle's footsteps by attending notre dame... the whole domestic abuse thing mighta been a turn off though.

Great players going to Indiana only helps the gophers if Indiana beats up on the other 5 legends teams and Wisconsin.

Apparently Gunner Kiel no-showed at a meeting for LSU's early enrollees, and is going to enroll at Notre Dame instead. LSU fans are not pleased.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo.../2711959/gunner-kiel-decommits-lsu-notre-dame

If this is true, my opinion of Kiel has greatly changed. At first, he seemed like a high character kid, committing to his home state school despite their struggles and the big programs calling. Then he decommits and verbals to LSU. Then, he spurns them at this point. Just another prima donna.

Matt Mauck started a game too (Wynn somehow started a total of 3), and his stats are much better. Spergon Wynn is easily the worst QB in the history of the NFL...at least until Adam Weber gets a chance to play.

What is your beef with Adam Weber? I'm not saying Souhan's ridiculous stance that he'll be better than Tebow has merit, but I'd certainly take him right now over Spergon Wynn any day.

If this is true, my opinion of Kiel has greatly changed. At first, he seemed like a high character kid, committing to his home state school despite their struggles and the big programs calling. Then he decommits and verbals to LSU. Then, he spurns them at this point. Just another prima donna.

A prima donna? The dude is a senior in high school and has the biggest decision of his life to make. What exactly were you doing at 17? Worrying about how you were going to get drunk on Friday? Yeah, exactly.

A prima donna? The dude is a senior in high school and has the biggest decision of his life to make. What exactly were you doing at 17? Worrying about how you were going to get drunk on Friday? Yeah, exactly.

I was 17 a few years ago. I decided to come to Minnesota in November of my senior year over acceptances to Pitt and Penn State. I never backed away from my decision. Oh and I had to go to work at 6 AM on the weekends. No time to drink. Thanks for the concern buddy.

I was 17 a few years ago. I decided to come to Minnesota in November of my senior year over acceptances to Pitt and Penn State. I never backed away from my decision. Oh and I had to go to work at 6 AM on the weekends. No time to drink. Thanks for the concern buddy.

LOL.

Top Bottom