Former Gopher Tyrone Carter posts video demanding U of M take his name down

I believe what the Gophers are thinking is that he'll have some remorse etc., and then we would have the begging period of getting it back up if it were to be taken down. Once he comes to his senses I'm sure someone will talk to him and if it happens again, it will come down for good.

Take his name down. Who really cares?

It would be sad to take his name down. He was an amazing player for the U and easily one of my favorites during his time here. Obviously though things have taken a turn in recent years and frankly if it bothers him that much to be recognized by the school then the best case for everyone would be to go ahead and do as he wishes.

Years ago saw him at a Kill practice w/ the d backs and he was trying to act all cool w/ them and they seemed to ignore him. I thought that was strange

I do not blame Kobe M. at all for being irritated about this fraud of a victim being paid off, , and sort of understand how this set off Carter, but he has been set off before for less rational justifications.

I hope TC understands that because the conduct involving the alleged student being a member of the University's cheer teams, and then also Student athletes on the Football team, underage alcohol consumption in team " University sponsored housing" would have likely played the biggest role in the University realizing there was possibly some liability there in this case. The former President handling of this situation wasn't great either.
He seems to forget that the Student athletes football players, provided the alleged alcohol, and invited the underage minor to the event in University sponsored housing, and University provided recruiting "funds" and that a student on the football team was the one that filmed said events on his cellphone and sent out the group text the initiated all of the people coming over to this apartment. That and it is pretty questionable that the Student from the cheer team, didn't actually ever agree to what he calls "Sex with the minor issue" otherwise we would not have had the whole EOAA investigation and even the Hennepin county atty office investigation. At one point there was some consensual behavior with the RB, maybe a couple others, but after the alcohol and Cheer team student saying no, at some point he TC should know better then trying to blame the University on what would many call questionable behavior after a certain point in time. Some of the football players possibly could have been charged with a crime and he also knows this event walked a fine line between consensual and not consensual, as this event crossed over in to a he said she said gray area, and then all of the allegations.
This settlement agreement likely had more to do with the fact that said event happened in University sponsored housing for the football players, provided by the University than the race of the individuals involved, but hey continue to rip the University at all cost and by all means. He is just PO'ed the cheer team person got a settlement and none of the football players got anything. Hire a better attorney, next time or have an actual case, a couple had cases with the Media specifically a certain media personality, but not the University itself. RIP me too, but that is likely why the settlement occurred the student housing issue, and football recruiting funds provided some of the trappings of what occured in the apartment.
Another minor point where the university could've been indemnified: wasn't it the case that the minor involved was brought onto campus by the school (the athletic dept) as part of a recruiting visit?

This is starting to feel like a CTE issue.
I said this exact same thing in the last Tyrone Carter buffoonery thread. He’s Antonio Brown’s twin brother when it comes to being off his rocker.

Is this tremendously different than some of the rhetoric out there.

He has an actual point.

I disagree with how TC is going about it, but the U's handling of this situation has been horrific. It puts the silver ponytailed-university types on their heads because the RIGHT thing to do in this situation was to support the players (10 African American men).

The woke cancel culture will inevitably eat itself, this is a prime example of the inversion of the "woke" PC mob.

He has an actual point.

I disagree with how TC is going about it, but the U's handling of this situation has been horrific. It puts the silver ponytailed-university types on their heads because the RIGHT thing to do in this situation was to support the players (10 African American men).

The woke cancel culture will inevitably eat itself, this is a prime example of the inversion of the "woke" PC mob.

It was (and is) a bizarre set of circumstances. When one throws out their principles to jump on the “woke” bandwagon or #metoo bandwagon it says a lot, and it isn’t good. TC goes about it in a rough way, but he isn’t wrong per se. I don’t think the fiasco was racism (and the police were on the players ”side” strangely enough - since they are at war with young black men /s), but otherwise we agree.

I hope TC understands that because the conduct involving the alleged student being a member of the University's cheer teams, and then also Student athletes on the Football team, underage alcohol consumption in team " University sponsored housing" would have likely played the biggest role in the University realizing there was possibly some liability there in this case. The former President handling of this situation wasn't great either.
He seems to forget that the Student athletes football players, provided the alleged alcohol, and invited the underage minor to the event in University sponsored housing, and University provided recruiting "funds" and that a student on the football team was the one that filmed said events on his cellphone and sent out the group text the initiated all of the people coming over to this apartment. That and it is pretty questionable that the Student from the cheer team, didn't actually ever agree to what he calls "Sex with the minor issue" otherwise we would not have had the whole EOAA investigation and even the Hennepin county atty office investigation. At one point there was some consensual behavior with the RB, maybe a couple others, but after the alcohol and Cheer team student saying no, at some point he TC should know better then trying to blame the University on what would many call questionable behavior after a certain point in time. Some of the football players possibly could have been charged with a crime and he also knows this event walked a fine line between consensual and not consensual, as this event crossed over in to a he said she said gray area, and then all of the allegations.
This settlement agreement likely had more to do with the fact that said event happened in University sponsored housing for the football players, provided by the University than the race of the individuals involved, but hey continue to rip the University at all cost and by all means. He is just PO'ed the cheer team person got a settlement and none of the football players got anything. Hire a better attorney, next time or have an actual case, a couple had cases with the Media specifically a certain media personality, but not the University itself. RIP me too, but that is likely why the settlement occurred the student housing issue, and football recruiting funds provided some of the trappings of what occured in the apartment.

Cool. What does that have to do with paying the "victim"? She was paid because football players gave alcohol (allegedly) to a recruit?

As to your discussion about settlement, your attempt to pull her settlement away from her allegations is illogical. Her allegations are that something bad happened to her and it's the U's fault. You continue to point to why the U would be liable if the bad thing actually happened to her.

However, without the bad thing happening to her (her allegations), there would not be a cause of action. It's not like everyone who lives in that complex could have sued the school because something bad happened to the players.

The reason why she was able to collect and the players were not is because Title IX investigations are appalling. The U's actions, while (IMO) unconscionable, were pretty status quo for how these things are handled. Her settlement is also, unfortunately, status quo.

As to the race thing, I don't know. I have a hard time believing it did not play a factor. I am not typically someone who plays the race card but I have a difficult time believing if this was a bunch of white kids from MN that their faces would have been plastered in the paper. I could be wrong, I know it's happened (Duke Lacrosse) in similar situations. To me, it felt like a lot of people at the U and even alleged fans felt like some of these players were "disposable".

The main issue, IMO, is in the Title IX investigations. They are the definition of unjust. They allow public schools to punish people for, essentially, allegations because the standard is so low (especially considering so many of these allegations are (s)he said/(s)he said.

It was (and is) a bizarre set of circumstances. When one throws out their principles to jump on the “woke” bandwagon or #metoo bandwagon it says a lot, and it isn’t good. TC goes about it in a rough way, but he isn’t wrong per se. I don’t think the fiasco was racism (and the police were on the players ”side” strangely enough - since they are at war with young black men /s), but otherwise we agree.

No I agree. I don't think TC is doing anyone any good. I just meant that he kind of does have a point, as awful as he is at making it.

Following college football is like riding a bucking bronco...

Cool. What does that have to do with paying the "victim"? She was paid because football players gave alcohol (allegedly) to a recruit?

As to your discussion about settlement, your attempt to pull her settlement away from her allegations is illogical. Her allegations are that something bad happened to her and it's the U's fault. You continue to point to why the U would be liable if the bad thing actually happened to her.

However, without the bad thing happening to her (her allegations), there would not be a cause of action. It's not like everyone who lives in that complex could have sued the school because something bad happened to the players.

The reason why she was able to collect and the players were not is because Title IX investigations are appalling. The U's actions, while (IMO) unconscionable, were pretty status quo for how these things are handled. Her settlement is also, unfortunately, status quo.

As to the race thing, I don't know. I have a hard time believing it did not play a factor. I am not typically someone who plays the race card but I have a difficult time believing if this was a bunch of white kids from MN that their faces would have been plastered in the paper. I could be wrong, I know it's happened (Duke Lacrosse) in similar situations. To me, it felt like a lot of people at the U and even alleged fans felt like some of these players were "disposable".

The main issue, IMO, is in the Title IX investigations. They are the definition of unjust. They allow public schools to punish people for, essentially, allegations because the standard is so low (especially considering so many of these allegations are (s)he said/(s)he said.
Low standard of proof are perfectly acceptable when the consequence is only expulsion, at worst.

Top Bottom