Former Gopher Troy Stoudermire says reason why Gophers have no luck is because he hasn’t received a Gopher sweater from the program.

Jimmy Gjere was about the same era as TS. He truly did lay his body on the line for Gopher football. A highly rated lineman who had to retire due to multiple concussions.
I'd rather the U of M have an annual gift bag for Jimmy.
TS already knows he is big time. But maybe the U can help him out with some old Brew Crew sweatshirts. Got to keep the chili hot, even in Dallas.

Jimmy Gjere was about the same era as TS. He truly did lay his body on the line for Gopher football. A highly rated lineman who had to retire due to multiple concussions.
I'd rather the U of M have an annual gift bag for Jimmy.
TS already knows he is big time. But maybe the U can help him out with some old Brew Crew sweatshirts. Got to keep the chili hot, even in Dallas.

Jimmy was a stud in HS ( In 🏒 2 IIRC)and just had no luck

I wonder what they send to active Gopher NFL players. I wasn’t aware of the swag boxes colleges send until a couple weeks ago when a few guys put theirs on Twitter.

It’s a lot of logistical and financial lift to locate and hook up every former Gopher player going back decades.

I’ve worked for and left a couple well known companies that used to give us lots of freebies like tshirts and jackets and water bottles and all that. Once I stopped working there those gifts stopped. I’m still alumni and on good terms there but don’t work there anymore. It’s kind of the same thing here.

If I am a recruit listening to him, I immediately realize how petty this is. And my main concern would be that this guy graduated from a Big Ten school and he cannot afford to buy his own sweatshirt? So much for the value of a U of MN education that my recruiter is telling me about. Guess I will go to an SEC school.

If I am a recruit listening to him, I immediately realize how petty this is. And my main concern would be that this guy graduated from a Big Ten school and he cannot afford to buy his own sweatshirt? So much for the value of a U of MN education that my recruiter is telling me about. Guess I will go to an SEC school.
Is this your 18 year old self listening to him or the current version?

Is this your 18 year old self listening to him or the current version?
Good question and fair point I suppose. I like to think I was very smart as an 18 year old though. I just HATE it when people use social media to air grievances like that. By definition it's always one sided and there is ALWAYS more to the story. That's true in all things, not just sports. There is more to this than somebody at the football office refusing to send TS a "sweater."

It appears he can afford it.

It appears he can afford it.
I don't think it's an issue of affording anything. Maybe as an ex player and alumni that played for the program, an astute gesture of gratitude with a swag bag would be noticed. Everything cost money I get it but the program and athletic department maybe has a chance to make amends with alumni. The analogy to former employers isn't the same. I don't think Stoudimire is asking for entitlement either, just a gesture of gratitude and a thank you, from the University and Athletic department and program. May seem small, but small things do not go unnoticed. It's not as horrible am ask as some twitter users are making it out to be. Yeah we all paid tuition, too much in a lot of cases but we did get something for it.

Initial thought: Go out and buy some gear. Support your alma mater. It's not a one way street where you "gave everything" to The "U" and got nothing in return.

After some contemplation: This is a real opportunity for The "U" to continue to reach out to their former players, and leverage them to further the brand. Lean on Nike to create a unique package of swag to send to all former player, from all sports. It doesn't have to be a full wardrobe, but each year send them a reminder of where they spent some pretty important years. Maybe every 5 or 10 years there is a special item, or it is more personalized, whatever.

It was poorly brought to our attention, but I see a real opportunity here for The "U".

You get my point.
I thought your entire point was that it was bad optics that despite having an education from the U, he can't afford a sweatshirt. If he can clearly afford the sweater, what's your point?

Initial thought: Go out and buy some gear. Support your alma mater. It's not a one way street where you "gave everything" to The "U" and got nothing in return.

After some contemplation: This is a real opportunity for The "U" to continue to reach out to their former players, and leverage them to further the brand. Lean on Nike to create a unique package of swag to send to all former player, from all sports. It doesn't have to be a full wardrobe, but each year send them a reminder of where they spent some pretty important years. Maybe every 5 or 10 years there is a special item, or it is more personalized, whatever.

It was poorly brought to our attention, but I see a real opportunity here for The "U".
I agree with this take. I see no reason why the U isn't sending as much swag to former players as possible. It's an easy win.

I thought your entire point was that it was bad optics that despite having an education from the U, he can't afford a sweatshirt. If he can clearly afford the sweater, what's your point?
It is indeed bad optics. Whether he can afford one or not... he is whining about it with such fervor that it can give the impression that he can't. Either way he is the one choosing to make this a big deal and it's a bad look for him.

I agree with this take. I see no reason why the U isn't sending as much swag to former players as possible. It's an easy win.
This my point about social media. We're hearing one side of the story. I agree that this would be a good thing to do. But... Do we know that they don't do this? Do we know if other colleges regularly do? Do we know that TS wasn't just missed somehow or he didn't like his gift bag? I don't know any of that. That's why I don't trust social media very much. Half of the story all of the time.

I don't think it's an issue of affording anything. Maybe as an ex player and alumni that played for the program, an astute gesture of gratitude with a swag bag would be noticed. Everything cost money I get it but the program and athletic department maybe has a chance to make amends with alumni. The analogy to former employers isn't the same. I don't think Stoudimire is asking for entitlement either, just a gesture of gratitude and a thank you, from the University and Athletic department and program. May seem small, but small things do not go unnoticed. It's not as horrible am ask as some twitter users are making it out to be. Yeah we all paid tuition, too much in a lot of cases but we did get something for it.
I don't disagree at all. But we don't really even know how he reached out in the past. Was it just a few tweets? Either way, shouldn't be hard for the program to send him something.

At the same time, this nothing but a bit of a tantrum. He publicly rips the program right after a bad loss because they didn't send him something? His tweets make it seem like he doesn't care much about the program or the university.

Seems like there could have been better avenues to try to make it happen.

This thread is a nice reminder that at least Tyrone Carter isn't teeing off on the U anymore with a video a day on Instagram slamming our beloved athletic program.

We've gone from one legend ripping us daily to a solid player asking for a free sweater. We've changed our best.

Go Gophers!!

This my point about social media. We're hearing one side of the story. I agree that this would be a good thing to do. But... Do we know that they don't do this? Do we know if other colleges regularly do? Do we know that TS wasn't just missed somehow or he didn't like his gift bag? I don't know any of that. That's why I don't trust social media very much. Half of the story all of the time.
Yeah, I hear you. It's all a complete mess.

Yep and they got a free education worth about $100,000-$200,000 (depending if in-state or not) and no one was forcing them to play football.

That said, if I was in the Gopher athletic office I'd send him some gear. I'm sure they have plenty of stuff laying around.
Send him Jerrysota and Golden Loafer Tee shirts!

Fleck has not been kind to former football alumnus. He is bigger than the past and those who participated in it.

Fleck has not been kind to former football alumnus. He is bigger than the past and those who participated in it.
PJ is not kind to them?

Isn’t he supposed to spend time with his players? Rather than soothe egos from the past?

Ebenezer Fleck found his wallet for tiny Troy. God bless us, every one.

Top Bottom