Former Gopher captain Jim Carter on Gophers opting out of bowl: “I’m opting out of consideration to play in the Masters next spring.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

OVERHEARD

Former Gophers football star Jim Carter
, on his alma mater’s decision to opt out of a bowl game after finishing 3-4 this season: “I’m opting out of consideration to play in the Masters next spring.”

Go Gophers!!

Jim Carter should practice keeping is mouth closed.

It is a year where outside factors had more infulence than any other season in history since the World Wars. His smarmy attitude is not warranted. Af far as I am concerned, he can steer clear of this program.

Last edited:

Why be an asshole to your own team?

And why do reporters keep giving this irrelevant jerk a voice?
Because he doesn’t get it. He is a fool.

The quote makes him think the gophers couldn’t have gotten a bowl invite if they wanted one. And if he thinks that, he is a fool.

Jim Carter, you gotta be smarter.....

Just a completely uninformed take. If he didn’t realize that he is an idiot. If he did but said it anyway then he is worse than an idiot.

Never turn down a bowl. Wisconsin was 2-3, then Alvarez conned MN and the B10 Commissioner into dumping MN's crossover game and replacing it with a game in Madison against the Badgers (MN's record with Wisconsin being 3-22 over the past 25 years). Badgers win, go 3-3 and get a bowl game that helps their program. MN drops to 3-4, stays home. Of course, we might have lost the crossover game, but at least we wouldn't have been bamboozled.

Never turn down a bowl. Wisconsin was 2-3, then Alvarez conned MN and the B10 Commissioner into dumping MN's crossover game and replacing it with a game in Madison against the Badgers (MN's record with Wisconsin being 3-22 over the past 25 years). Badgers win, go 3-3 and get a bowl game that helps their program. MN drops to 3-4, stays home. Of course, we might have lost the crossover game, but at least we wouldn't have been bamboozled.

This is a weird spin.

I think we wanted to play that game....

Huh?

Sheer nonsense.
Both ADs wanted to play, both HCs wanted to play, both teams wanted to play and MN and WI fans wanted to play.
In reality it was to MN's advantage to play given that WI was starting or had to use during the game scout team players.
PJ decided his team had enough and it was time to call it a day and regroup for next year.
Chryst saw a bowl game would help him plan better for next year.
We will have to wait and see who made the better choice.

This wins the award for strangest take of the week so far. The Gophers weren't bamboozled in any way. They didn't miss out on a bowl because of losing to Wisconsin. They had a bowl invitation to play in Phoenix against Boise State and turned it down so the players could go home and spend the holidays with their families, whom they hadn't seen for five months.

No matter what the whacked out Jim Carter says with his stupid Masters analogy, the Gophers did indeed decline a bowl berth that was there for the taking.

Gophers, by the way, among the nation's leaders in idiot alums.

Wisconsin would’ve gone to a bowl game even if they lost to Minnesota
They valued their X year bowl streak as more valuable than their kids’ Christmas. That’s a fine choice for them to make, but I would’ve opted out if I was them

This guy so desperately wants to be idolized, but most Gopher fans under 50 have no clue who he is and will probably double-check with Wikipedia to make sure he's not the same guy that ran our country in the late 70s.

Well, the bigger issue is MN's stated reasons for not wanting to play in a bowl game.

and my response - if the Gophers were 5-2 or even 4-3 - would they have still declined to play in a bowl game?

Maybe they would have - but I am skeptical.

I think Jim Carter and others thought the Gophers' rationale for turning down a bowl game was a bit convenient.

Well, the bigger issue is MN's stated reasons for not wanting to play in a bowl game.

and my response - if the Gophers were 5-2 or even 4-3 - would they have still declined to play in a bowl game?

Maybe they would have - but I am skeptical.

I think Jim Carter and others thought the Gophers' rationale for turning down a bowl game was a bit convenient.
Sure it depended on the game. At 5-2 it's a pretty good game I would think. At 3-4 it would be a lower level bowl game. Not worth it. Gophers declined it in the polite way. If Carter doesn't get that he's an idiot, but I think we all knew he was an idiot already.
If he thought there was no chance of getting into a bowl game then he's an ignorant idiot too that doesn't even follow college football.

I propose that Carter has now moved on from the title of "Former Gopher" To "Former Gopher turned Bag of Dicks".

I expect that most media outlets will comply with my proposal immediately.

Last edited:

Sure it depended on the game. At 5-2 it's a pretty good game I would think. At 3-4 it would be a lower level bowl game. Not worth it. Gophers declined it in the polite way. If Carter doesn't get that he's an idiot, but I think we all knew he was an idiot already.
If he thought there was no chance of getting into a bowl game then he's an ignorant idiot too that doesn't even follow college football.

Yeah PJ isn't gonna say "we won't entertain any low level bowl offers..."... that's just impolite.

They weighed their possible options vs... sending the kids home to their families for Christmas and chose to send the kids home.

If it were the Rose Bowl (let's just imagine) I'm sure they would have gone.

Other teams choose differently and that's ok too...

Gophers were going to get an invite to the Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix.

No one is inviting Jim Carter anywhere, much less The Masters.

So... only funny to people who are dumb.

Top Bottom