For those who are curious about the IMG Academy facilities...

What's the point of trying to get a scholarship if you're shelling out tens of thousands in high school tuition?

I think St. Thomas Academy is like 25- 30 thousand. What is Minnehaha? I heard Walsh had been working at IMG in the past, who is the new football coach at Creighton?

Art Vandelay went there as well.

Once again, it’s a free country. You can spend your money on whatever you want. You can’t bitch about IMG and then buy season tickets for sports.

It’s like complaining about the loss of Dinkytown venues. You can always buy the site. Or quit bitching.

What's the point of trying to get a scholarship if you're shelling out tens of thousands in high school tuition?
Right, purely from a financial point of view, that isn't the thing to do.

Being able to say "my kid got a DI scholarship in [sport]" is a point of pride for the parents and the kid. This is just a tool to help them get there, as would be hiring a personal trainer or coach.

Right, purely from a financial point of view, that isn't the thing to do.

Being able to say "my kid got a DI scholarship in [sport]" is a point of pride for the parents and the kid. This is just a tool to help them get there, as would be hiring a personal trainer or coach.

It's also probably a "connections" sort of place. Most of the kids there will get a quality, very expensive, college prep education and that's that. But hanging around all those other rich, connected kids and the ones that do end up making the pros...it's a network for life.

Once again, it’s a free country. You can spend your money on whatever you want. You can’t bitch about IMG and then buy season tickets for sports.

It’s like complaining about the loss of Dinkytown venues. You can always buy the site. Or quit bitching.

the-office-michael-scott.gif

It's also probably a "connections" sort of place. Most of the kids there will get a quality, very expensive, college prep education and that's that. But hanging around all those other rich, connected kids and the ones that do end up making the pros...it's a network for life.
Shattuck, and similar to that, yes.

IMG, I legitimately could believe that they do more towards the minimal requirements of school needed to graduate, so they have more time to focus on their sport.

Like an online diploma mill level ...

Still no guarantees that the exceptional athlete won't suffer a career-ending injury or simply not be the same exceptional athlete at 22 that he/she was at 16. Then what are those kids left with? Lots of training to get them to a place they'll never get to, with nothing to fall back on for the rest of their lives.
You think going there for high school really hurts them academically? I bet it’s as good as most high schools in the country. Probably better. They can still go to college and stuff. It isn’t like they have to play pro sports.

You think going there for high school really hurts them academically? I bet it’s as good as most high schools in the country. Probably better. They can still go to college and stuff. It isn’t like they have to play pro sports.
Yeah, I think a lot of people are cutting IMG short when it comes to academics. With the $ it takes to go there, personal tutors likely come with the deal!

Keep in mind, fans mostly hear about the good stories at IMG.

The stories that you don't read much are where the parents and kid decide to leave their local high school after a freshman season to go to IMG.

IMG will tell you, "Yeh, he's good enough to come down".
Kid struggles to get playing time at JV as a sophomore and maybe a junior. As a senior he makes the team but by then you are no longer enamored with the coaches because they aren't 1:1 trainers with your kid and they like someone else's kid a little more than your own kid.

You get the same frustration of having a crap coach there as you would at home, but with more credentials. If your kid isn't good enough, your kid isn't going to be good enough no matter what tuition you pay.

Keep in mind, fans mostly hear about the good stories at IMG.

The stories that you don't read much are where the parents and kid decide to leave their local high school after a freshman season to go to IMG.

IMG will tell you, "Yeh, he's good enough to come down".
Kid struggles to get playing time at JV as a sophomore and maybe a junior. As a senior he makes the team but by then you are no longer enamored with the coaches because they aren't 1:1 trainers with your kid and they like someone else's kid a little more than your own kid.

You get the same frustration of having a crap coach there as you would at home, but with more credentials. If your kid isn't good enough, your kid isn't going to be good enough no matter what tuition you pay.
I like your remarks, because they are accurate. I have heard they have several teams at each level. It is a money maker for the school. These programs including, basketball, football training, tennis are big money makers. One of the biggest money makers is QB training, very few good mechanics coaches that can help. Endless cheerleaders for kids asking large amounts to train your kid or play on a 7 on 7 team. Their support ends as soon as payments end.

More athletes are staying at their HS programs, like many private schools they market to wealthy foreign families. You see this happening in private HS throughout the country. Wealthy Chinese families send kids to learn the language and get into a good University. Pay to play academically.

I think St. Thomas Academy is like 25- 30 thousand. What is Minnehaha? I heard Walsh had been working at IMG in the past, who is the new football coach at Creighton?
I believe Oak Hill Academy in Virginia is over $40K a year.

Must be some, playing ice hockey that is.

https://www.s-sm.org/athletics/hockey-center-of-excellence/boys-prep-hockey/scheduleresults

I don't know what the overall advantage of sending your 15-18 year old here instead of a Juniors team would be. Probably depends if you're looking to play hockey in the Ivy League, vs trying to make it as a pro?

Maybe?
You can do just fine playing juniors vs Shattuck but it has nothing to do with going to the Ivy league.

Juniors you are going to move away from home and stay with a billet family (strangers that agree to host, kind of like an exchange student). You then go to the local high school of the billet family's area.

Shattuck is a boarding school and being that they are a "hockey school" (not by definition, but they are, even if they won't admit it) they can gear everything to those players. Shattuck attracts only the best of the best for hockey players.

There's also a school in Vadnais Heights called Gentry Academy that isn't a boarding school, but the entire school was created with creating hockey players in mind. They adjust all the academics to fit the hockey training.

You can do just fine playing juniors vs Shattuck but it has nothing to do with going to the Ivy league.

Juniors you are going to move away from home and stay with a billet family (strangers that agree to host, kind of like an exchange student). You then go to the local high school of the billet family's area.

Shattuck is a boarding school and being that they are a "hockey school" (not by definition, but they are, even if they won't admit it) they can gear everything to those players. Shattuck attracts only the best of the best for hockey players.

There's also a school in Vadnais Heights called Gentry Academy that isn't a boarding school, but the entire school was created with creating hockey players in mind. They adjust all the academics to fit the hockey training.
Ah, thanks for all the great info!

I had the thought about Ivy League because someone said Shattuck had elite boarding school level academics. (thinking like the movie "School Ties")

Are you saying they don't, or that at least for the hockey players they don't?

I like your remarks, because they are accurate. I have heard they have several teams at each level. It is a money maker for the school. These programs including, basketball, football training, tennis are big money makers. One of the biggest money makers is QB training, very few good mechanics coaches that can help. Endless cheerleaders for kids asking large amounts to train your kid or play on a 7 on 7 team. Their support ends as soon as payments end.

If you have $70k, I can find a team for your kid to play on, and I can pay some "elite trainer" to talk to you twice a week to tell you how you should throw differently.

I'll take kids like that all day if I'm a school.

Regarding Hockey, isn't Breakaway Academy another one of those hockey specific schools?

Ah, thanks for all the great info!

I had the thought about Ivy League because someone said Shattuck had elite boarding school level academics. (thinking like the movie "School Ties")

Are you saying they don't, or that at least for the hockey players they don't?
I am not saying they have bad academics but I've never heard about them being that special

I am not saying they have bad academics but I've never heard about them being that special
That's fine.

The post I am referring to is by @Gophergrandpa post #22 in this thread, saying:

"Shattuck-St. Mary’s is also a top-notch academic institution with a history dating back to the mid-1800s. A New England style prep school located in Minnesota. It’s alumni include Marlon Brando!"

While the average person associates them with the hockey program, Shattuck has top notch academics. A lot of wealthy people send their kids there for the education.

Top Bottom