For those who are curious about the IMG Academy facilities...

I have always known Shattuck to be a top academic school. I grew up in Northfield.
My wife grew up basically across the street from SSM. It's a VERY good school. A big part of it is the small class sizes and one on one instruction.

My son went to IMG academy last summer for a week long football camp. I didn't travel with him to Florida, so I did not see the campus. He stayed in the dorms, had camp every day and chilled in their huge pool afterwards. My son thought the campus was great.

As far as the summer camp itself, my son and I were not that impressed. For what you pay, the lessons were not very personalized. The skills part of the camp was only a few hours a day. My son also told me that there were kids who would stay there for several weeks to attend the fb camp, but that they stopped going because it was the same drills every week and they got bored.

All in all, I am not sending him there again this summer because I think there are better camps out there or at least of the same caliber closer to us.

If you have $70k, I can find a team for your kid to play on, and I can pay some "elite trainer" to talk to you twice a week to tell you how you should throw differently.

I'll take kids like that all day if I'm a school.

Regarding Hockey, isn't Breakaway Academy another one of those hockey specific schools?
yes, but Breakaway ends at 8th grade so kids have to then go to another high school. From some anecdotal feedback I have gotten the academics there are suspect along with Gentry Academy.

My wife grew up basically across the street from SSM. It's a VERY good school. A big part of it is the small class sizes and one on one instruction.
Be interesting to know what kind of parents send their kids to a place like SSM, if it isn't for sports and if they themselves didn't go there?

Be interesting to know what kind of parents send their kids to a place like SSM, if it isn't for sports and if they themselves didn't go there?
This is what I've heard, simply because my wife is from Faribault, and her parents were pretty keyed into the community (she didn't go to SSM). The school was supposedly in danger of closing because of declining enrollment before they started the hockey development program. They needed a niche to get enrollment up, and they found one - that expanded to figure skating, soccer and golf.

They also had, at least before covid, a lot of Asian students, I think primarily Korean and Chinese. I don't know if that population has replenished.

Other than that, the people I know of who went there were wealthy people from the surrounding area, and one girl whose parents sent her there because she was a terrible disciplanary issue at her high school.

This is what I've heard, simply because my wife is from Faribault, and her parents were pretty keyed into the community (she didn't go to SSM). The school was supposedly in danger of closing because of declining enrollment before they started the hockey development program. They needed a niche to get enrollment up, and they found one - that expanded to figure skating, soccer and golf.

They also had, at least before covid, a lot of Asian students, I think primarily Korean and Chinese. I don't know if that population has replenished.

Other than that, the people I know of who went there were wealthy people from the surrounding area, and one girl whose parents sent her there because she was a terrible disciplanary issue at her high school.
Interesting!

Top Bottom