For those complaining about being in a "cold weather" bowl game...

Today's bowl game temps:
Frisco Bowl: 34
New Mexico Bowl: 33
Lending Tree (Mobile): 47
Fenway Bowl: 45
Your point is absolutely correct. None of these were going to be tropical. Your post just happened to be timed with an arctic blast of cold air.

Normal average high temps for those locations in December:
Dallas - 59
Albuquerque - 47 (lower than I thought! Must be elevation)
Mobile - 63
Boston - 42 (higher than I thought!)

NYC - 44

Mpls - 28

Regarding weather, It's the ocean (Yes I know that you know this). With that said, it is not at all surprising that NYC would and could be warmer that cities inland in the south this time of year. Cold air systems often extend from Canada into the deep south. Stating the obvious again, that is why Texas, and other southern states can get very cold snaps and be technically colder for a short period of time.

NYC, like many other places, has very nice areas. They just cost more. Heck if I was going, I'd explore places like City Island (assuming restaurants are open in the winter months). You can decent seafood and it's not as congested. IIRC not terribly far from Bronx borough.

Not everyone likes city life. We get it. Still people all over the world view NYC as the crown jewel of the United States. It's okay to acknowledge that it has less than desirable areas without trashing the entire City/ five boroughs. Fans that want to attend the game will have a great experience, and they will be supporting 'our' favorite team.
As far as the weather - New York City is colder than most places that have bowl games. Some of them it's only colder by about 15 degrees and some of them it is significantly colder.

It's also okay to simply not like New York City regardless of what some people consider a "crown jewel" of the United States. Every city, even the crappiest has things that some people like. I've had a good time in Detroit (wouldn't say I liked Detroit).

I'm sure people will have a good time and I'm sure there are tons of people who love NYC. There is nothing wrong with that (and I hope they do have a good time), but my whole point is that somoene does not need to be a hick or be thinking of the ghetto in NYC to not like it.

My honest opinion is that the city has absolutely zero character. The only places that have any character are now garbage. The places that aren't garbage, were so expensive that they are entirely corporatized. Times Square is a commercial. For me, it's kind of like how Uptown "went downhill". The luxury apartments moved in and all of the cool/interesting things moved out to make way for chain restaurants or trendy night clubs. When you take that and factor in the people are a-holes, it's a pain to get around, and there is a constant smell or urine/feces in the air, it lost its appeal to me. So the "cool" things in NYC are not worth the hassle of NYC anymore. It's less cool and more of a hassle.

Tons of people disagree with my take and that's cool. I don't think they're hicks for thinking that way and I don't think they just need to experience explained to them better. They like it and that's fine. But I'm not missing something because I think the "crown jewel" (per STPGopher) of America is one of our worst cities.

So many posters here afraid of their own shadow. I've ripped on them enough in the other thread.

The point of the post was specific to those who DID complain about the weather in NYC, to point out that Mobile, AL, on the Gulf Coast, wasn't much warmer yesterday, and Frisco, TX was about the same temp as it was here most of last week.
So when someone has no desire to travel to a city you enjoy they're afraid, that's just ridiculous.

Have you been to NYC recently? Didn’t think so. Absolutely hell hole!. No way would I spend any amount of money to follow my beloved Gophers. Not happening in the Jones household.
Yes. I was there the week of Hurricane Ian. (which swerved and missed crushing my house in the last 24 hours prior to landfall).

I had a great time! Hit up 5 awesome restaurants in Manhattan, saw a few old friends, went with my co-workers to ring the bell at the Nasdaq. Just like the other 40-50 trips I've taken there over the past decade, I was not the victim of a crime.

You will get a little dose of weird walking the streets of Manhattan. It's one of the only places on Earth where homeless people regularly rub elbows with billionaires. I think that's part of the charm of the place. But statistically NYC is safer than the large majority of major cities in the USA and the world.

Today's bowl game temps:
Frisco Bowl: 34
New Mexico Bowl: 33
Lending Tree (Mobile): 47
Fenway Bowl: 45

It gets worse. Even as far south as St Pete we're due for highs in the 40s on Christmas Day. My island might record some very rare temps in the 30s overnight.

Here's the Florida forecast for Christmas Day. Even Miami gets some 40s. Nowhere escapes the cold.

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 9.10.21 PM.png

Last edited:

I like NYC. I just don't think it's a good bowl destination and it has nothing to do with the weather. Just sayin'
I just want to go to a bowl game that rolls out the red carpet for the participants. I know that the university is looking for the best payout, but can you imagine how we would be treated going to the Idaho Tater Bowl?

I just want to go to a bowl game that rolls out the red carpet for the participants. I know that the university is looking for the best payout, but can you imagine how we would be treated going to the Idaho Tater Bowl?
I've been to a few Gopher bowls and the amount of hype events was directly proportional to the prestige of the bowl. Good schedule of events before Citrus (BW3 Bowl) and Outback.

I don't recall any pregame for the Quick Lane Bowl.

I went to the 2010 Sugar Bowl (Florida and Cincinnati) and it had a ton of stuff to do that week. I was in New Orleans as a tourist but ended up doing a fair amount of bowl stuff for two teams I didn't care about.

It was dramatic seeing how many events the organizers put together for the Fiesta Bowl while almost entirely neglecting its sister Guaranteed Rate Bowl last year.

Yes. I was there the week of Hurricane Ian. (which swerved and missed crushing my house in the last 24 hours prior to landfall).

I had a great time! Hit up 5 awesome restaurants in Manhattan, saw a few old friends, went with my co-workers to ring the bell at the Nasdaq. Just like the other 40-50 trips I've taken there over the past decade, I was not the victim of a crime.

You will get a little dose of weird walking the streets of Manhattan. It's one of the only places on Earth where homeless people regularly rub elbows with billionaires. I think that's part of the charm of the place. But statistically NYC is safer than the large majority of major cities in the USA and the world.
Jack claimed he wouldn't go to NYC because he wouldn't be allowed to carry a gun. That pretty much tells me that my opinion on him is probably correct.

The forecast high for the Pinstripe Bowl is 44. For the Mayo Bowl, it's 43.

Hardy souls filled the Packer stadium last night in frigid weather.
If you are worried about your personal safety or concerned about being accosted by mentally ill homeless do not come to Minneapolis or particularly the transit stop in downtown St Paul where two people were recently shot dead.
No place anymore is free of the urban ills that plague us.

5 degrees in Nashville today
67 and rainy is gameday forecast

26 in Charlotte
60 with a slight chance of rain is gameday forecast

40 in New York City with a gale warning
36 and partly cloudy is gameday forecast

Looks like Charlotte would’ve been the place to be.

All it says about me is I don't have any desire to visit NYC.
I thought that also until I went there for my sisters wedding. It was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Plenty to see and just the size of the buildings is pretty stunning. I would go back and I also had no desire to see it originally.

If you are worried about your personal safety or concerned about being accosted by mentally ill homeless do not come to Minneapolis or particularly the transit stop in downtown St Paul where two people were recently shot dead.
Eh there’s nothing to do in Ashwabawnon so they go to watch team with a losing record, sit on bench seats and act like they are so awesome. Although that still may be more pleasant than riding the light rail.

If you don't like crowds or on a budget NYC, is not for you. We enjoy visiting. We were just up there in early December for a long weekend. Stayed midtown near 48th and Lex. Walked all over. About a mile to Times Square and theater district, saw The Music Man and Pantom - both great, Rockefeller Center, Herald's Square, restaurant on 36th and 6th. Went down to Fotografiska Museum on 22nd and Park (by cab). Saw very few homeless people and felt perfectly safe walking at 11:00 at night back to hotel. Police officer on almost every corner in midtown area. Think the narrative of rampant crime is overstated, though know you always need to be aware.

Saw it was 20 degrees in Shreveport for the Independence Bowl and I saw the both coaches in stocking caps at the Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa.

If you don't like crowds or on a budget NYC, is not for you. We enjoy visiting. We were just up there in early December for a long weekend. Stayed midtown near 48th and Lex. Walked all over. About a mile to Times Square and theater district, saw The Music Man and Pantom - both great, Rockefeller Center, Herald's Square, restaurant on 36th and 6th. Went down to Fotografiska Museum on 22nd and Park (by cab). Saw very few homeless people and felt perfectly safe walking at 11:00 at night back to hotel. Police officer on almost every corner in midtown area. Think the narrative of rampant crime is overstated, though know you always need to be aware.

NYC has a “code blue law” that when the temp goes below freezing, the city is legally required to offer shelter to its unhoused citizens - this is coordinated via Department if Homeless Services and their partnerships with homeless organizations and NYPD. I worked in one of these warming centers a few years ago and the program was set up to prevent that population from freezing to death.

NYC has well organized/funded homeless orgs/advocacy groups, so the program is taken seriously.

Yesterday and today are freezing here. Temperature got to 7 with a windchill of -17 and that is coooold here. Yes, I’m a weather wuss now.

High yesterday of 56 with rain all day and when that system moved out, the vortex( our version of it) moved in for the weekend and will be exiting on Monday and we’ll get back to normal temperatures ( 3os) - it will be back in the 50s by the end of next week.

Last edited:

There were 16 (sixteen) active police officers working the MoA last night.

Didn't matter.

Disgusting people who don't have a single shred of respect for humanity, are going to do disgusting things. You can't prevent it unless you're going to assign a police officer to follow every single person around. Obviously that's not going to happen.

There were 16 (sixteen) active police officers working the MoA last night.

Didn't matter.

Disgusting people who don't have a single shred of respect for humanity, are going to do disgusting things. You can't prevent it unless you're going to assign a police officer to follow every single person around. Obviously that's not going to happen.
🍎 to 🍊

I'm just saying, there being police officers around doesn't really seem to be a deterrent for these sickos.

That is not meant to be a "get off my lawn" sentiment about avoiding NYC, MoA, or anywhere. You should live life, not in fear of criminals, within reason.

More than anything, agree with the posters sentiment of "you always need to be aware [of your surroundings/who's around you]".

NYC has a “code blue law” that when the temp goes below freezing, the city is legally required to offer shelter to its unhoused citizens - this is coordinated via Department if Homeless Services and their partnerships with homeless organizations and NYPD. I worked in one of these warming centers a few years ago and the program was set up to prevent that population from freezing to death.

NYC has well organized/funded homeless orgs/advocacy groups, so the program is taken seriously.
Was in upper 40's the weekend we were there. Think lows were in the mid to upper 30's, but don't remember for sure.

simpsons-i-wish-to-subscribe-to-your-newsletter.gif

My honest opinion is that the city has absolutely zero character. The only places that have any character are now garbage. The places that aren't garbage, were so expensive that they are entirely corporatized. Times Square is a commercial. For me, it's kind of like how Uptown "went downhill". The luxury apartments moved in and all of the cool/interesting things moved out to make way for chain restaurants or trendy night clubs. When you take that and factor in the people are a-holes, it's a pain to get around, and there is a constant smell or urine/feces in the air, it lost its appeal to me. So the "cool" things in NYC are not worth the hassle of NYC anymore. It's less cool and more of a hassle.

Tons of people disagree with my take and that's cool. I don't think they're hicks for thinking that way and I don't think they just need to experience explained to them better. They like it and that's fine. But I'm not missing something because I think the "crown jewel" (per STPGopher) of America is one of our worst cities.

Nobody is talking about what it would be like to move to NYC and live there. We're talking about going to a football game at Yankee Stadium with the opportunity to see world famous tourist attractions that millions of people travel to visit every year. I would guess there are very few people in the world who wouldn't like the opportunity to experience what NYC has to offer. Anyone who isn't interested in visiting there at least one time in their life is probably a hick.

The Most Popular Cities In The World To Visit​

1672068376971.png

Attachments

• 1672068271253.png
    1672068271253.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 0

Nobody is talking about what it would be like to move to NYC and live there. We're talking about going to a football game at Yankee Stadium with the opportunity to see world famous tourist attractions that millions of people travel to visit every year. I would guess there are very few people in the world who wouldn't like the opportunity to experience what NYC has to offer. Anyone who isn't interested in visiting there at least one time in their life is probably a hick.

The Most Popular Cities In The World To Visit​

View attachment 22707

Great post!

I’ve lived here since 1998 and hosted several different types people of all, some urbane to small town and have never had any had a bad time with any of them , you just have to spend sone time and effort to research and plan accordingly.

Events have included: ferry trip to Staten Island and back for a drive by of Lady Liberty - takes you relatively close without having to go there as that is a good half day plus trip

Intrepid Museum- wanna see an aircraft carrier in person and walk the deck - breathtaking. Last I went they had one if the original Concorde jets (tiny) and akso had (have?) Space Shuttle as well.

Central Park

9/11 Museum or the Met, Whitney, MOMA and many more, including - dog and sex museums.

Rockefeller Center and the Midtown Department store’s Christmas window treatments.

Amazing authentic food of all types.

Regarding Time Square, much safer now then in the bad old days where pickpockets, prostitution and drug dealers were right in toy face, as well as sex shows of all types - any one who bemoans the “commercialization” of those area either have/ had abnormal avocations and/or lack compassion god those who suffered when Times Square wasn’t cleaned up - plenty of archival footage that shows it online.

NYC still has plenty of character, you just have to know where to look and some of it requires a trip to the outer boroughs.
For a quick trip - ton to do without leaving Manhattan, excluding Lady Liberty trip.

Last edited:

Top Bottom