For those complaining about being in a "cold weather" bowl game...

Great post!

I’ve lived here since 1998 and hosted several different types people of all, some urbane tu o small town and have never had any had a bad time, you just have to spend done time and effort to do so.

Events have included: ferry trip to Staten Island and back for a drive by of Lady Liberty - takes you relatively close without having to go there as that is a good half day plus trip

Intrepid Museum- wanna see an aircraft carrier in person and walk the deck - breathtaking. Last I went they had one if the original Concorde jets (tiny) and akso had (have?) Space Shuttle as well.

Central Park

9/11 Museum or the Met, Whitney, MOMA and many more, including - dog and sex museums.

Rockefeller Center and the Midtown Department store’s Christmas window treatments.

Amazing authentic food of all types.

Regarding Time Square, much safer now then in the bad old days where pickpockets, prostitution and drug dealers were right in toy face, as well as sex shows of all types - any one who bemoans the “commercialization” of those area either have/ had abnormal avocations and/or lack compassion god those who suffered when Times Square wasn’t cleaned up - plenty of archival footage that shows it online.

NYC still has plenty of character, you just have to know where to look and some of it requires a trip to the outer boroughs.
For a quick trip - ton to do without leaving Manhattan, excluding Lady Liberty trip.
While never living in NYC I am biased with my father growing up in Bay Ridge and both parents graduating HS in Bergen City/NJ. I visited often while grandparents were alive but haven't had an extended stay there since 2004.

Anyone not going there EVER for several days or week in NYC is truly missing out on one of best life experiences I can think of in this country.

Even better would be to combine it with time in upstate NY and Cooperstown. With weather and holidays, I realize that's not really feasible for a Pinstripe Bowl trip.

Once I saw the itinerary for the team, I was fine with this bowl they should have a great time. Would it be nice if we played some other team? Sure, but the fellas should enjoy their visit to NYC.

Nobody is talking about what it would be like to move to NYC and live there. We're talking about going to a football game at Yankee Stadium with the opportunity to see world famous tourist attractions that millions of people travel to visit every year. I would guess there are very few people in the world who wouldn't like the opportunity to experience what NYC has to offer. Anyone who isn't interested in visiting there at least one time in their life is probably a hick.

The Most Popular Cities In The World To Visit​

View attachment 22707

Wow, still one spot above Kuala Lumpur. What a draw. Keep all those hicks on the beaches. We don't need them in the jewel paradise.

Wow, still one spot above Kuala Lumpur. What a draw. Keep all those hicks on the beaches. We don't need them in the jewel paradise.
The hicks tend to frequent cruise ships and all-inclusives so they don't have to associate with any actual culture.

The Intrepid museum was mentioned. It's SUPER cool. In addition to what was mentioned, you can tour a retired submarine. Much respect to people who choose to serve on a sub - there's NO WAY I could live in that confined space.

Regarding Time Square, much safer now then in the bad old days where pickpockets, prostitution and drug dealers were right in toy face, as well as sex shows of all types - any one who bemoans the “commercialization” of those area either have/ had abnormal avocations and/or lack compassion god those who suffered when Times Square wasn’t cleaned up - plenty of archival footage that shows it online.

NYC still has plenty of character, you just have to know where to look and some of it requires a trip to the outer boroughs.
For a quick trip - ton to do without leaving Manhattan, excluding Lady Liberty trip.
I've known some people who wax nostalgic for the "old NYC and Times Square." I can see both sides of it. It was seedy and dangerous. But at the same time, before the city got so expensive, the amount of music and art that came out of that era was substantial.

The hicks tend to frequent cruise ships and all-inclusives so they don't have to associate with any actual culture.
I see. So that is what differentiates hicks from loud, rude, and vulgar people interspersed with career criminals unimpeded by law enforcement.

The Intrepid museum was mentioned. It's SUPER cool. In addition to what was mentioned, you can tour a retired submarine. Much respect to people who choose to serve on a sub - there's NO WAY I could live in that confined space.
Every college football players dream.

You really think you’re cultured because of how you vacation? What suburb do you live?

Nobody is talking about what it would be like to move to NYC and live there. We're talking about going to a football game at Yankee Stadium with the opportunity to see world famous tourist attractions that millions of people travel to visit every year. I would guess there are very few people in the world who wouldn't like the opportunity to experience what NYC has to offer. Anyone who isn't interested in visiting there at least one time in their life is probably a hick.

The Most Popular Cities In The World To Visit​

View attachment 22707

Did you think I was confused at the fact that people like to travel to New York City? Yep, i think I got it, I lived there. It’s also common knowledge.

My entire point is that if someone hates New York City, thst doesn’t mean they are a hick. It’s usually suburban dorks who think eating spicy food makes them cultured that hold that belief.

Again, I know people like it and that’s cool, but there is nothing wrong with the people who don’t.

Did you think I was confused at the fact that people like to travel to New York City? Yep, i think I got it, I lived there. It’s also common knowledge.

My entire point is that if someone hates New York City, thst doesn’t mean they are a hick. It’s usually suburban dorks who think eating spicy food makes them cultured that hold that belief.

Again, I know people like it and that’s cool, but there is nothing wrong with the people who don’t.
People who think it's nothing but a crime ridden cesspool full of scary minorities, and who won't visit because they can't carry a gun, yes, they're hicks. Or rednecks. Or white trash. Take your pick.

I've known some people who wax nostalgic for the "old NYC and Times Square." I can see both sides of it. It was seedy and dangerous. But at the same time, before the city got so expensive, the amount of music and art that came out of that era was substantial.
True, however bear in mind, that the only constant in life is change.
NYC was on the verge of bankruptcy during that era before Times Square cleanup and tourism was minimal at that point.

People who think it's nothing but a crime ridden cesspool full of scary minorities, and who won't visit because they can't carry a gun, yes, they're hicks. Or rednecks. Or white trash. Take your pick.
Have you ever met someone who has no desire to spend time in America's largest urban centers for the explicate reason they can't carry a gun? I didn't think so. White trash can be found anywhere. Look around your own environment.

I see. So that is what differentiates hicks from loud, rude, and vulgar people interspersed with career criminals unimpeded by law enforcement.
Statistically NYC is safer than Mpls and historically is one of the safest large cities in the country per the FBI crime stats.

There has been a spike in crime and it’s not surprising given that this was the hardest hit part of the country for COVID and the economic impact it had on the city affected most.

Your comment about the efforts of the NYPD is laughable; they are considered a gold standard in law enforcement and your comments represent parroting RW talking points (?) or do you watch The Warriors several times a day, bro?

It’s almost as bad as posters who talk about their PAST experiences ( lord knows how long ago that was) in living in NYC, as those are more relevant than mine, a current resident - possibly they couldn’t make it here(?) or maybe I’m just not a scaredy-cat 🙀.

Most real NYCers aren’t phased by the crime uptick either.

Have you ever met someone who has no desire to spend time in America's largest urban centers for the explicate reason they can't carry a gun? I didn't think so. White trash can be found anywhere. Look around your own environment.
A poster here said exactly that, which is why I addressed it again.

Statistically NYC is safer than Mpls and historically is one of the safest large cities in the country per the FBI crime stats.

There has been a spike in crime and it’s not surprising given that this was the hardest hit part of the country for COVID and the economic impact it had on the city affected most.

Your comment about the efforts of the NYPD is laughable; they are considered a gold standard in law enforcement and your comments represent parroting RW talking points (?) or do you watch The Warriors several times a day, bro?

It’s almost as bad as posters who talk about their PAST experiences ( lord knows how long ago that was) in living in NYC, as those are more relevant than mine, a current resident - possibly they couldn’t make it here(?) or maybe I’m just not a scaredy-cat 🙀.

Like I said, some of these fools hatched their opinions of NYC from watching Taxi Driver.

You jump to a conclusion reflexively. I said and feel nothing detrimental about the NYPD. I have the highest respect for them and local law enforcement officers throughout the country.

The decision to trash police, defund police, and drive upwards of 25% of them off the force is a deliberate plan to excuse and promote crime by diseased political leadership. Similarly, the decision of prosecutors to release violent criminals to prey on decent citizens. You, who I know is one of those decent citizens, should be most appalled.

They aren’t as cultured as you though, we all know you and your wife like spicy foods and hate all-inclusives. You all are very bohemian. You live in a suburb in middle America though right?

I realize you understand this but how you vacation and your love of Mexican food is where you derive your “culture”, but we all knows it’s a scale.

There are parts of gary, Indiana that are interesting. I’ve had a decent time in Detroit and Cleveland. Yet, most people don’t want to really hang out there.

It’s a scale where we weigh the pros of that destination with the cons. Yes, crime and homelessness is on any reasonable person’s “cons” side. The question is if the pros outweigh the cons. Now regardless of how spicy you like your food or the location of your next vacation away from cookie cutter middle America, how that scale tips for you is not culture. It’s what uncultured people consider culture,

To New Yorkers themselves, crime is a HUGE concern. It was the #1 issue amongst democrats in New York. That’s a super diverse group of people who agree crime is a huge issue. Yet, you think someone would have to be racist to be racist to be concerned with crime in New York. You think that because in your suburb it’s just the icky white people who complain about crime. Talk about out of touch, that’s the most uncultured thing in this entire thread regardless of how spicy you like your food.

To New Yorkers themselves, crime is a HUGE concern. It was the #1 issue amongst democrats in New York. That’s a super diverse group of people who agree crime is a huge issue. Yet, you think someone would have to be racist to be racist to be concerned with crime in New York. You think that because in your suburb it’s just the icky white people who complain about crime. Talk about out of touch, that’s the most uncultured thing in this entire thread regardless of how spicy you like your food.
We aren't talking about New Yorkers - we are talking about people being afraid to visit NYC. And our resident New Yorker here doesn't share your views.

We aren't talking about New Yorkers - we are talking about people being afraid to visit NYC. And our resident New Yorker here doesn't share your views.
People being “afraid” to visit New Yor because of crime. You called those people racist in spite of the fact that New Yorkers, themselves, say crime is the #1 problem in New York.

So when people from Minnesota think crime is a major problem in new York, they are white racists who love cruise ships.

Yet, ethnic New Yorkers feel the exact same way. It never occurred to you that people of color in New York also believe crime is a huge ordeal because your culture comes from going on trips. It lacks any perspective or . . . actual culture.

People being “afraid” to visit New Yor because of crime. You called those people racist in spite of the fact that New Yorkers, themselves, say crime is the #1 problem in New York.

So when people from Minnesota think crime is a major problem in new York, they are white racists who love cruise ships.

Yet, ethnic New Yorkers feel the exact same way. It never occurred to you that people of color in New York also believe crime is a huge ordeal because your culture comes from going on trips. It lacks any perspective or . . . actual culture.
Bingo. Those most impacted by crime care about crime.

Bingo. Those most impacted by crime care about crime.
The only people who don’t live in suburbs away from the crime and visit those places on vacations. They literally think eating pad Thai or pho makes them cultured.

I have nothing against living in the burbs but man is a portion of that population just self-hating hypocrites.

The hicks like their all-inclusives and cruises so they don't have to deal with people speaking different languages, or using different money. They just want to be waited on and treat people rudely.

Top hint - if you travel anywhere that is a cruise ship stop, always stay away when the ship is in port and the hicks are in town. You will always be treated better by the locals if they know you are NOT part of the cruise crowd.

Another top hint is to try and travel to places that aren't popular among American tourists in general.

You jump to a conclusion reflexively. I said and feel nothing detrimental about the NYPD. I have the highest respect for them and local law enforcement officers throughout the country.
You used the term “law enforcement” in you post, not me, champ.
The decision to trash police,
What entity made this decision and how specifically was it implemented?

defund police,
They did some modest trimming and moved some expenses over to other departments, so no, it wasn't remotely close to a $1B, but more like $382M per the article which details the math. You are entitled to your opinions, but not facts, if you have any please feel free to post them and cite your sources champ -

After weeks of demands by police reform activists, the New York City government cut the New York City Police Department’s budget by an unprecedented amount early Wednesday morning.
But in approving the city’s fiscal year 2021 budget, did Mayor Bill de Blasio shift more than $1 billion away from the police as he claimed? Or was it really a more modest amount, bolstered by budget trickery? A deeper look at the numbers suggests that the mayor’s $1 billion total relies on overly optimistic assumptions and a flexible understanding of what counts as NYPD spending. But the criminal justice reform advocates decrying the adopted budget probably aren’t taking enough credit for influencing a budget that, even under the strictest reading, reduces NYPD spending by hundreds of millions of dollars.
Analyzing the city budget is always difficult – adjustments are made mid-year and costs are shifted between agencies. It can make even the most budget-literate analysts go cross-eyed. And there’s a surprising amount of subjectivity inherent in discussing the budget, something the mayor can use to his benefit when he’s trying to explain how he arrived at $1 billion in police budget cuts. Here are some of the most pressing questions about what happened to the NYPD’s budget.

HOW MUCH WAS THE BUDGET CUT?

Last year’s fiscal year 2020 budget allocated $5.61 billion to the NYPD’s expense budget. And when de Blasio presented his executive budget in April, he proposed keeping spending at about the same level – $5.64 billion. But in the past couple months, the mayor and the City Council agreed to serious cuts to the NYPD. In the fiscal year 2021 budget the mayor signed Wednesday morning, the NYPD has been allocated $5.22 billion. That’s a 6.8% reduction from the year before, or $382 million less.

HOW DID THEY CUT THAT MUCH?

By doing a mix of things. The city hopes to save $55 million this year by cutting one of the four annual classes of new recruits. That’s 1,163 fewer officers that will need to be paid. The city will save another $5 million by putting a hiring freeze on “non-safety positions,” $12 million by canceling or reducing some outside contracts and another $5 million on delaying the purchase of some new vehicles. But the biggest savings – $355.2 million, according to the mayor’s office – is reducing the amount the department plans to spend on overtime payments to officers.

THAT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

Yes, the NYPD is notorious for exceeding its overtime budget. Even though the NYPD’s budget was $5.6 billion in fiscal year 2019, the department ended up spending $5.98 billion by the end of the year – largely thanks to overtime. It was the same situation in fiscal year 2020, which just ended on June 30. The NYPD’s budget was $5.61 billion and it is projected to actually spend a record $6.08 billion.

WILL THAT JUST HAPPEN AGAIN THIS YEAR?

Maybe. Reporters questioned de Blasio about it at his budget press conference Tuesday, and he promised that the NYPD’s management is better now than it’s ever been. Newly appointed NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea “is a very smart data-driven modern manager,” de Blasio said. “He is going to find ways to make things happen. I’m just convinced.”

GOT IT. BUT WAIT, YOU SAID THE BUDGET WAS ONLY CUT BY $382 MILLION?

Yes, but there were also a few major cost shifts that the mayor is counting toward that $1 billion total. Certain programs like school safety agents – uniformed officers who don’t carry guns and patrol the city’s public schools – will be moved under the Department of Education. That alone will shift $307 million from the NYPD … eventually. The change did not appear to be reflected in the budget signed Wednesday, and the mayor’s office has said the transition will be phased in over time. That’s also true of the $42 million saved by moving the expense for school crossing guards out of the NYPD’s budget. The city will also move some employees who work in homeless outreach out of the NYPD, saving the department about $4.5 million.

SO $382 MILLION IN CUTS AND $354 MILLION IN COST SHIFTS … THAT’S NOT EVEN $750 MILLION. HOW DID THE MAYOR GET TO $1 BILLION?

The city spends more on policing than just what’s included in the NYPD’s expense budget. An analysis from the Citizens Budget Commission found that the city is actually spending about $10.9 billion on the NYPD. About half of that isn’t included in the NYPD’s budget, but rather it’s centrally allocated spending on costs like pensions and health insurance for officers. The mayor’s office is also counting cuts to these areas to get to the $1 billion total.

HOW MUCH IS GETTING CUT THERE?

About $163 million, according to the mayor’s office. That’s the money saved by not hiring one class of new officers, but it also counts all of the pension costs and fringe benefits for school safety agents and crossing guards. The city will still be spending that money, but it’s no longer attributable to the NYPD.

ARE THERE ANY OTHER BUDGET TRICKS?

Definitely. The mayor is also hoping to increase the NYPD’s revenue next year by $42 million by getting traffic enforcement agents to write more tickets. It’s not clear why the mayor would count that as part of a $1 billion budget cut, since it doesn’t actually decrease spending.

SOUNDS LIKE THE MAYOR WAS GETTING A BIT DESPERATE TO HIT THE MAGICAL $1 BILLION NUMBER.

It does seem that way. In fact, the number is such a stretch that New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson refused to say the city had cut that much. He and other council leaders had agreed during negotiations to set $1 billion in cuts as the goal, but in his Tuesday press conference, Johnson said that he and the council had fallen short. And police reform activists who had pushed for the cuts seemed to be in universal agreement on that point.
“We won’t fall for Mayor de Blasio and the City Council’s funny math or lies to try to trick New Yorkers into thinking they made $1 billion in direct cuts to the NYPD’s almost $6 billion FY21 expense budget,” read a statement from Anthonine Pierre, spokesperson for Communities United for Police Reform, a group that had called for the cuts.

SO WHY AIM FOR $1 BILLION AT ALL?

The demand for $1 billion in cuts to the NYPD came from advocacy groups, which seemed to dominate the discourse. And in the midst of ongoing protests against police brutality and systemic racism, it makes sense that Democratic politicians like de Blasio and Johnson would want to align themselves with the mass movement. But the mayor, the council speaker – and admittedly, the media – may have gotten too caught up in the numbers. The $1 billion number was always somewhat arbitrary, and more of a means to an end. Advocates’ real goals were broader, and included changing the way that officers interact with the public. They were bound to be disappointed by anything less than radical change.

and drive upwards of 25% of them off the force
When did this happen? LInk?

It appears that the 25%, you referenced, was some BS estimate in a Breitbart article regarding NYPD personnel who would refuse to get vaccinated for COVID and then subsequently retire. If not refute it with third party attestation.

The number ended up being .15%, per the NY Post- I’m sure a NYC expert like you realizes it is owned by Rupert Murdoch, also owns Fox News.

is a deliberate plan to excuse and promote crime by diseased political leadership.
The new mayor, Eric Adams, is a retired NYPD Police Captain
Similarly, the decision of prosecutors to release violent criminals to prey on decent citizens. You, who I know is one of those decent citizens, should be most appalled.
Another RW talking point without any data. Any actual data on this epidemic or third-party accreditation? Or just more musings from NewsMulch? It happens in every jurisdiction; to act like it is only a NYC issue is inane - just another conspiracy theory to keep you watching!

Bail reform was enacted and primarily affects misdemeanors and non-violent felonies -

There is no clear connection between recent crime increases and the bail reform law enacted in 2019, and the data does not currently support further revisions to the legislation.

Three years ago, New York State adopted a law ending the assessment of cash bail in most cases involving misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies. The law aimed to reduce the risk that someone would be jailed because they could not afford to pay for release and reduce the unnecessary use of incarceration, which can have a profoundly disruptive effect on peoples’ lives.

Many police leaders and some politicians have been against these bail reforms from the start. Now, amid a new legislative session, the law has come under renewed scrutiny as critics seek to blame it for recent increases in violent crime, which rose nationwide in 2020 and 2021 as the pandemic gripped the nation and ravaged the economy. Most recently, Gov. Kathy Hochul proposed changes to the law, after initially calling for a patient and data-driven approach to evaluating its effects.

Here, we review what we know so far about bail reform and its impact on public safety. Critically, we find no evidence to believe that bail reform drove recent increases in violence.

Bail eligibility depends on several factors.

New York’s bail reform legislation went into effect at the start of 2020 and, together with revisions passed just a few months later, changed the likelihood of monetary bail being assessed pending the outcome of a criminal case. Broadly speaking, the law separates cases into two categories, based on the alleged crime involved.

According to the new law, judges have the option to set bail in almost any case involving a violent felony. In these “bail eligible” cases, a defendant must pay an assessed bail or face detention. In virtually all other cases, which include most misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies, judges may release people on their own recognizance or impose some other set of conditions to ensure their return to court. Such conditions include restrictions on travel or supervision by a pretrial supervision agency.

When deciding whether to release a person or set bail, the law requires judges to focus solely on the conditions that will ensure that the person returns to court. That means, unlike most other states, New York judges cannot consider their subjective view of a person’s “dangerousness” when deciding what release conditions to set. New York’s approach, which dates back to the 1970s, reflects an attempt to preserve the presumption of innocence and reduce racial biases against defendants. State legislators carefully considered revisiting this rule in 2020 but ultimately decided against it.

Notably, judges also retain the ability to set bail in some cases considered high-risk. Judges may set bail for defendants who have been released and are rearrested for another offense, provided both charges are felonies or Class A misdemeanors and involve harm to a person or property. For example, a judge may set bail for a person who was charged with punching someone in a bar fight, released, and then arrested for injuring someone in another fight. (Notably, Hochul’s proposal would go further, allowing judges to set bail almost any time someone is rearrested after initially being released, even for a low-level misdemeanor.) Other circumstances can make a case bail eligible, too, such as when someone is charged with a felony offense while on probation.

There is no evidence linking bail reform to the 2020–21 crime increase.

Many have argued that bail reform is responsible for rising crime in New York State, both in and out of New York City. But crime rose all across the country in 2020, making it unwise to look for explanations that are confined to New York.

Additionally, in the nearly two years since implementation, no direct evidence has emerged linking bail reform to rising crime.

It is true that New York City saw a sudden increase in crime from 2019 to 2020, with an especially stark increase in murders, which rose from the 319 in 2019 to more than 450 in 2020. Shooting incidents in the city roughly doubled during the same period. Statewide, the murder rate also rose from 2.9 to 4.2 killings per 100,000 people. According to one analysis, “the recent rise of violence has been concentrated in areas characterized by poverty and racial segregation.”

But the best available information suggests that bail reform is not the primary driver of these increases in crime. One recent analysis by the Times Union of Albany suggested that relatively few people released under the new law went on to be rearrested for serious offenses. The Times Union reviewed state data on pretrial releases between July 2020 and June 2021, identifying nearly 100,000 cases where someone was released pretrial in a decision “related to the state’s changed bail laws.” Just 2 percent of those 100,000 cases led to a rearrest for a violent felony; of these, 429 cases led to a rearrest for a violent felony involving a firearm. Roughly one-fifth of all cases resulted in a rearrest for “any offense,” regardless of severity, such as a misdemeanor or nonviolent felony.

These findings are preliminary, and future researchers will certainly build on them. But as a first attempt to study the issue, the Times Union’s analysis suggests that as many as 80,000 people may have avoided jail incarceration due to cash bail because of the 2019–20 reforms and went on to pose no documented threat to public safety. (An opinion column in the New York Post cited the same data to argue that 43 percent of pretrial releases resulted in rearrest, but arrived at that conclusion by focusing on a small subset of just 4,062 cases.) The state’s data does not provide a point of comparison — i.e., are these rearrest rates higher or lower since bail reform’s enactment? But a dashboard maintained by the nonprofit New York City Criminal Justice Agency focusing on the percentage of people awaiting trial in the community and rearrested in a given month also appears to show little change in rearrest trends since 2019. A new report by New York City Comptroller Brad Lander cites CJA’s data to conclude that “the share of people awaiting trial in the community who are rearrested remained nearly identical before and after implementation of bail reforms.”

That means any attempt to link bail reform to rising crime should be evaluated skeptically. Indeed, some early arguments about the effects of bail reform have been directly disproven. In 2020, the New York City Police Department claimed that bail reform and recent jail releases had led to an increase in shootings. But according to a New York Post analysis, the NYPD’s own statistics proved otherwise. Between January and late June 2020, according to NYPD data reviewed by the Post, “just one person released under the statewide bail reform laws” had been charged with a shooting.

Crime rose in jurisdictions both with and without bail reform.

Increases in violence over the last few years are undeniably tragic developments, but they must be considered in context. New York State’s murder rate remains below the national average. City and state crime increases were also, unfortunately, far from unique. Between 2019 and 2020 the national murder rate rose by roughly 30 percent, and assaults jumped by around 10 percent. These increases were felt in communities of all sizes, political alignments, and geographies. Notably, new research by a team of economists also shows that progressive local law enforcement policies appear to have had no impact on the crime increase.

Further, there are signs the murder spike may have leveled off last year. Murders in New York City increased by roughly 4 percent between 2020 and 2021 — still rising, but much more slowly. (Officials have not yet shared data on statewide crime trends in 2021.)

Crime is complex, and policymakers should be wary of simplistic answers.

It may be years before we have a complete understanding of what caused crime to rise in New York over the last two years, but researchers have begun to point to some potential national factors.

Gun violence appears to have significantly contributed to the increase in murders, for one. Guns were sold, carried, and recovered at crime scenes at much higher rates than previous years. The pandemic also caused a sudden, sharp, and highly unequal recession — thrusting many people and communities into deep uncertainty. Social distancing and disruptive lockdowns severely hindered the reach of institutions that help preserve neighborhood safety.

Of course, researchers and policymakers can and should continue to study the effects of bail reform on public safety, as more data and methods of analysis emerge. Many factors can influence a pretrial release decision, making it hard to fully understand the impact of bail reform with just two years’ worth of data. Other implementation issues, like limited funding available to pretrial supervision agencies, further complicate the relationship between reform and crime.

Critically though, so far there is no evidence that bail reform has driven the increase in crime. That makes the case for further revisions to the bail statute significantly weaker and indicates that policymakers should instead look for other ways to address crime. Indeed, other policy interventions that support communities, rather than relying on incarceration, have the potential to build enduring public safety in the city and state.

For example, better funding for pretrial services, even beyond what Hochul proposed in her executive budget, could ensure that people awaiting trial in their communities receive help they may need. Further, expanded mental health treatment services could identify and help people in crisis, as could addiction and substance abuse treatment. Other interventions, like after-school programming and summer youth employment, may provide safe places for young people and reduce opportunities for conflict. Programs to expand affordable housing could reduce strain on the city’s overburdened shelters for unhoused people, and improve quality of life, health, and safety at a stroke. Funding and support for community violence interrupters, a promising strategy that the Biden administration has embraced at the federal level, could also lead to safer neighborhoods. These approaches grab fewer headlines than bail reform, but legislators should focus on investments, like these, that are proven to address crime.

Last edited:

The hicks like their all-inclusives and cruises so they don't have to deal with people speaking different languages, or using different money. They just want to be waited on and treat people rudely.

Top hint - if you travel anywhere that is a cruise ship stop, always stay away when the ship is in port and the hicks are in town. You will always be treated better by the locals if they know you are NOT part of the cruise crowd.

Another top hint is to try and travel to places that aren't popular among American tourists in general.
Here's a top hint for you, child. I have spent 45 years traveling to most of the major cities in the world. Many, I can say, are far more interesting than New York.

Here's a top hint for you, child. I have spent 45 years traveling to most of the major cities in the world. Many, I can say, are far more interesting than New York.
Never said there weren't more interesting cities. I would agree. I love NYC, but there are a number of cities that I like more.

This is terribly false, or is it just some odd way to put down a guy (and stereotype a ton of people....who may have even agreed with you)....all while sounding like a vacation snob.

Sorry, that just sounds odd.

Last edited:

Top Bottom