For those complaining about being in a "cold weather" bowl game...

Putting the weather aside and looking at the big picture for the players, a trip to New York is probably a first for many. And to be able to experience it with your "brothers" on someone else's dime is pretty special. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for many, I expect.

A long ways out but:

New York City projected high on game day
43 and sunny

Nashville
56 and rainy

Charlotte 57 and rainy

Today's bowl game temps:
Frisco Bowl: 34
New Mexico Bowl: 33
Lending Tree (Mobile): 47
Fenway Bowl: 45
Cold weather don't bother me it's going to New York that I have issue with. It's on my list of the last places I would ever visit along with L.A., San Fran, Mississippi, Alabama, China, Russia, and North Korea.

Cold weather don't bother me it's going to New York that I have issue with. It's on my list of the last places I would ever visit along with L.A., San Fran, Mississippi, Alabama, China, Russia, and North Korea.
Your choices are certainly your own. But New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are three of the great cities not just in this country but in the world. Mississippi and Alabama are beautiful. I’ve never been to China or Russia or North Korea.

NYC is absolutely an amazing city to visit I’ve been there several times. You’re crazy.

That says much more about you than about NYC.
So many posters here afraid of their own shadow. I've ripped on them enough in the other thread.

The point of the post was specific to those who DID complain about the weather in NYC, to point out that Mobile, AL, on the Gulf Coast, wasn't much warmer yesterday, and Frisco, TX was about the same temp as it was here most of last week.

Part of NYC is literally built on a landfill so it is not outrageous to call it a dump. I can attest vast swaths of Los Angeles are not places I’d like to spend much time. The weather is better.

Opinions will differ, and that’s fine. Different strokes. Just be glad the pleasant inhabitants of NYC and LA aren’t migrating to MN. Just sayin.

Preach it! It's like putting your head in the toilet where all the sh1t and toilet paper are having a party. 😏

Your choices are certainly your own. But New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are three of the great cities not just in this country but in the world. Mississippi and Alabama are beautiful. I’ve never been to China or Russia or North Korea.
Well your definition of great cities is your own. All three have too many people for my taste plus the homeless problem in LA and SF is insane. Alabama and Mississippi are the confederate flag capitals of the South so you can have them as well.

Have you been to NYC recently? Didn’t think so. Absolutely hell hole!. No way would I spend any amount of money to follow my beloved Gophers. Not happening in the Jones household.

I get not going to China, Russia and North Korea. What are your top 3 places to go to and why?

Actually, the Gophers under Fleck are a pretty good cold weather team. They seem to thrive in it -- kind of looking forward to getting USC or UCLA here in late November!!! I say ----- bring it on!!!!

So many posters here afraid of their own shadow. I've ripped on them enough in the other thread.

The point of the post was specific to those who DID complain about the weather in NYC, to point out that Mobile, AL, on the Gulf Coast, wasn't much warmer yesterday, and Frisco, TX was about the same temp as it was here most of last week.
They aren’t afraid of it, they don’t like it. I’ve lived in New York, LA, and Hong Kong and I’ve never lived in suburb. I don’t hear a cab honking or see someone different from me and clam up, that said, I think New York City is now an absolute dump. To each their own though, i don’t need to create a fabricated reason as to why you like it.

It’s not fear, it’s dislike.

As to your last point and the OP, yep, weather is funny like that. Is the argument that New York is not significantly colder than the Gulf or Texas? This doesn’t seem like a winning battle to point to other places that are about 15-20 degrees warmer on average than NYC to argue against people wanting to go somewhere warm in the winter. There are winter days in Anchorage that are similar in temperature to New York, kind of a funny thing that weather can be.

They aren’t afraid of it, they don’t like it. I’ve lived in New York, LA, and Hong Kong and I’ve never lived in suburb. I don’t hear a cab honking or see someone different from me and clam up, that said, I think New York City is now an absolute dump. To each their own though, i don’t need to create a fabricated reason as to why you like it.

As to your last point and the OP, yep, weather is funny like that. Is the argument that New York is not significantly colder than the Gulf or Texas? This doesn’t seem like a winning battle to point to other places that are about 15-20 degrees warmer on average than NYC to argue against people wanting to go somewhere warm in the winter. There are winter days in Anchorage that are similar in temperature to New York, kind of a funny thing that weather can be.
Bob - this one wasn't aimed at you. I know you've lived in the city.

As for the weather, the point is that there are no guarantees pretty much anywhere this time of year, except maybe Miami, Tampa or San Diego.

Have you been to NYC recently? Didn’t think so. Absolutely hell hole!. No way would I spend any amount of money to follow my beloved Gophers. Not happening in the Jones household.
I was there a few summers ago. I didn't love it, but not for the reasons most people here are listing. It has some really cool sights and I enjoyed those. Especially when you're near Times Square it's super crowded, which isn't my thing. The New Yorkers are also as gruff as they are made out to be in the movies, which turned me off a little. I much prefer Boston and Chicago for big cities. I also love LA, but that's such a spread out area I think it makes it a different animal.

I never felt unsafe and I didn't think NYC was dirtier than any typical big city downtown though.

Bob - this one wasn't aimed at you. I know you've lived in the city.

As for the weather, the point is that there are no guarantees pretty much anywhere this time of year, except maybe Miami, Tampa or San Diego.
My issue isn’t with me, my issue is that you assume everyone who hates New York is a hick.

Regarding weather, It's the ocean (Yes I know that you know this). With that said, it is not at all surprising that NYC would and could be warmer that cities inland in the south this time of year. Cold air systems often extend from Canada into the deep south. Stating the obvious again, that is why Texas, and other southern states can get very cold snaps and be technically colder for a short period of time.

NYC, like many other places, has very nice areas. They just cost more. Heck if I was going, I'd explore places like City Island (assuming restaurants are open in the winter months). You can decent seafood and it's not as congested. IIRC not terribly far from Bronx borough.

Not everyone likes city life. We get it. Still people all over the world view NYC as the crown jewel of the United States. It's okay to acknowledge that it has less than desirable areas without trashing the entire City/ five boroughs. Fans that want to attend the game will have a great experience, and they will be supporting 'our' favorite team.

Top Bottom