For the record: Rate the 2022 Hawkeyes

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Before this game is played, it would be interesting to have Gopher Hole rate this Iowa team, and if you like, do it using KFAN tried-and-true terminology.

Are they 'Decent'? 'Mediocre'? 'Hideous'?

How would you rate our upcoming opponent?

If those are our only options
Defense - Decent
Special Teams - Decent
Offense - Hideous
Overall - low decent or high mediocre

If I was doing the same thing for us
Defense - Decent
Special Teams - Decent
Offense - Mediocre
Overall - low decent or high mediocre

Their Defense and special teams are better than ours but not by a ridiculous margin. Our offense is significantly better than theirs overall but is capable of stinking up the joint at times.

Teams seem remarkably even to me this year. As a coupla posters have pointed out, the one difference maker is Mo. We have him. They don't have anyone like him.

Whatever word you'd use to describe the Gophers, I think Iowa is one small notch below that.

I think their defense is better than ours by a smaller margin than our offense is better than theirs. But it's close.

Whatever word you'd use to describe the Gophers, I think Iowa is one small notch below that.

I think their defense is better than ours by a smaller margin than our offense is better than theirs. But it's close.
I'd venture to say their defense is much better. If we had their defense I think we'd be no worse than 9-1.

Teams seem remarkably even to me this year. As a coupla posters have pointed out, the one difference maker is Mo. We have him. They don't have anyone like him.
They have the elder Ferentz, who PJ cannot seem to out-coach and who also seems to hate PJs guts.

And I'd add that if either gets out to a lead, it's over.

And I'd add that if either gets out to a lead, it's over.
100%. Both defenses are really good and both offenses are not built to come from behind (I'm not really sure what Iowa's offense is built for).

If the Gophers win, will it be a quality win against a good (decent) team?

Or will it be a so-so win against a "mediocre" team?

If the Gophers win, will it be a quality win against a good (decent) team?

Or will it be a so-so win against a "mediocre" team?

Gophers will be ranked top 25 if they win, so I'd say Iowa would be perceived as a quality win. Iowa might receive votes with a win as well, so it goes both ways.

putting emotion aside:

Iowa has a really good defense and excellent special teams. Their defense and special teams score points or put their offense on a short field.

Iowa's offense is mediocre to terrible, but they do just enough to win - in conjunction with the defense and special teams.

Iowa will never receive "style points," but I don't think they care.

MN will have to play very well to win this game.

Above average but closer to mediocre than good

putting emotion aside:

Iowa has a really good defense and excellent special teams. Their defense and special teams score points or put their offense on a short field.

Iowa's offense is mediocre to terrible, but they do just enough to win - in conjunction with the defense and special teams.

The Gophers will need to pass enough to take pressure off the running game. If we try to run it down their throat and they do not have to watch out for the pass -- we are in trouble and the running game will get stuffed.

I notice a few people who respond seem to answer a different question.

Again: Is this Iowa team good, mediocre, or terrible? Would a win against them be a quality win?

Earlier in the year, they were mediocre. Like a lot of Ferent teams, they got better as the year progressed, and are now "good". I would be a great victory for us. Time for Floyd to try the bright lights and the big city........

putting emotion aside:

But would it be a "quality win"?

Mediocre team.

It's shocking how bad their offense is at all position groups. Basically they have 1 talented WR who has played in one game, 1 young RB, and 2 TEs that would garner the interest of other B1G teams if they entered the portal. Everyone else would scraps for non P5 and FCS schools.

I notice a few people who respond seem to answer a different question.

Again: Is this Iowa team good, mediocre, or terrible? Would a win against them be a quality win?
You need a category above good if you really want to have it make sense because they are a good team but they aren't a great team. And beating them would absolutely be a quality win.

Iowa’s defense is better than our because of how opportunistic it is about fumbles and INTs.

Iowa=Blutarsky
comedy-00.gif

Their defense is far better than ours. They have potential first/second draft choices in Campbell at LB and Moss at DB. None of ours are even close. Offensively both of their tight ends are far better than Span-Ford. Our center is better than theirs, but the rest of the offensive linemen on both teams are decoys. Our QB is slightly better and of course. MO is better than their Freshman RB. Kicking game favors the opponents. Score 13 -10.

You need a category above good if you really want to have it make sense because they are a good team but they aren't a great team. And beating them would absolutely be a quality win.

Thank you for asking the actual question.

I'm not looking for predictions.

I am very curious as to whether my fellow Gopher Holers would consider a win over the 2022 Hawkeyes a quality win, or if they'd go all KFAN on it and say they beat a 'mediocre opponent'.

Their defense is far better than ours. They have potential first/second draft choices in Campbell at LB and Moss at DB. None of ours are even close. Offensively both of their tight ends are far better than Span-Ford. Our center is better than theirs, but the rest of the offensive linemen on both teams are decoys. Our QB is slightly better and of course. MO is better than their Freshman RB. Kicking game favors the opponents. Score 13 -10.
DeJean is probably also a top 60-90 pick

Top Bottom