For Season Ticket Holders - A Couple of Months In, Are You Happy With Your New Seats?

Reaction score
This question is for season ticket holders. Now that we're a couple of months in, are you happy with your seats?

Virtually everyone is sitting somewhere new this season and surrounded by new people. As we all know, Williams Arena has many quirks. Some seats aren't as good as they seem on paper. Others are better. If you could go back to the selection process and do it over again, would you still pick the seats you chose? Are you mad at all about losing your old seats?

I'm in the lower part of 213 (directly behind the basket) and improved my seats in the process, going from 211 (in the corner and having to look left towards the court) previously. I miss my seat neighbors, having not really gotten to know the new group yet. I didn't realize how loud the band is, due to being directly above them, in the new location. However, that's not a negative.

Just curious about how people feel.

Absolutely am pleased with my new seats, and I was pretty far down the pecking order. And I must say, though originally skeptical about all the hub-bub surrounding the new scoreboard and ribbon board, both have been great additions. Have a great view of the in-game stats on the ribbon board, and in addition (for the most part) they're constantly running out of town scores. That's a biggee for me.

Satisfied with the seat, primarily going from bench to chairback. Better angle toward the court from 217 (baseline oppositve visitor's bench) versus 212 (behind the basket) where we were. Still don't really know the neighbors as there may be a group that shares them and I miss quite a few myself. We are in Row 2 and 3, and we have had issues with fans the size of offensive lineman in front of us which creates sightline problems at times. Happy with the seat, still not convinced the extra cash was worth it. I need more time on that part of it.

Lovin' it.

Only moved down 3 rows and 5 seats farther in (now in row 5, 114) but the seats seem so much better. Guys behind me are unbiased non-morons and entertaining to listen to. I'm close enough to the refs for them to hear me. I'm close to the cheerleaders and the women's team, mainly Micaella, sits about 15 feet to my right at every game. What more could one want?

Lovin' it.

I'm close to the cheerleaders and the women's team, mainly Micaella, sits about 15 feet to my right at every game. What more could one want?

:) Nice.

I not to far from ya'. I can't believe I haven't spotted a guy wearing a bag on his head!

I don't have seats this year. I was a season ticket holder for 5 years. I know that is not very long, but my wife and I were in section 108, last row of of chair backs. We liked this location. When it was our turn to pick there were not 2 chair back seats together in the lower level. We decided not to renew. Was not and still am not happy with the entire process.

Moved from 205 down to 103 and couldn’t be more pleased. Love the easier access to the seats, concessions, restrooms and exits. Plus, the seats actually face the court, what a concept! Haven’t gotten too friendly with the folks in the area yet, but I am sure that will come over time as we start to see the same faces game after game.

I like the seats but there is a guy right behind now that does not shut up the entire game. And no, he's not cheering or commenting on the game. I feel like I'm living in his Facebook finding out all sorts of things from his job (he's a lawyer getting the less desirable cases) to his girlfriend (near as I can tell, she's a bitch). Other than that, better view of the court and the scoreboard and the opposition's bench. Sports Realist, in 211.

We used to sit in section 2XX, row 7, seats 9 and 10. We stayed in the same row but moved over to seats 5 and 6. I find that the team has played a lot better with us sitting in 5 and 6, vs 9 and 10, so I'm pleased.

First year season ticket holder was a little skeptical about my seats I'm in section 108 I thought always looking at a angle would suck but I love being by the student section and so close to the court best money I've ever spent I love it!

Moved from 205 down to 103 and couldn’t be more pleased. Love the easier access to the seats, concessions, restrooms and exits. Plus, the seats actually face the court, what a concept! Haven’t gotten too friendly with the folks in the area yet, but I am sure that will come over time as we start to see the same faces game after game.

Must be the people that sat behind me in 210 last year! Every missed Gopher free throw was the ultimate tragedy for the lady.

I moved from 210 with chairbacks (and looking to my right the whole game to see the court) to 201, bench seats directly behind the east side basket. I am in the first row of the cheap seats - ~20 bucks per seat/game for season ticket holder. Not many sat by us during non-conference season, save for the lil chippers and their families. Now it's single game ticket buyers and opposing team fans. Have a good view of the band, student section, Gopher bench and plays developing. Pretty much the same seats I started with 20 years ago. Really good value, but definitely miss the chairbacks. The pain, though, is worth it. Love the ribbon board - almost makes the place look modern. Can't wait for the Michigan game.

I'm in 104 near aisle this year vs 120 in middle of section last year. I had to give up a few rows, now in row 20, but view and access are much better. It was money well spent from my perspective.

Here comes a gripe: We we able to get our same seats, with our friends of MANY years, in Section 105. We are the first row of bench seats, which we don't mind because they have more leg room and our backs are still functioning. We're on the aisle, next to a ramp that allows us to run down during a timeout, pick up popcorn, etc., and get back before the action starts. HOWEVER, the new, improved scoreboard is so large that we only see the bottom half of it from our seats. This is not right, given the "donation" we made, and we have emailed our complaint to the athletic department, with no reply as yet...

We are in the same section and seats in the row,but 14 rows behind previous seats. Large people in fron obstruct my wife's vision.Don't know people around us and they change from game to game (must be corporate).We have center ct seats ,but wish we had our old seats back. New seating plan stinks!

The seating arrangement is the biggest impediment to atmosphere in Williams. You lower deck people in chairs hardly EVER stand up. Most of the time you look around the arena, and the student section is standing, jumping, going nuts, and everyone else in the lower deck looks like they're watching a tennis match. It never used to be like that 20 years ago when they had benches all around. The chairs, and making them high dollar seats, have made for a lazier atmosphere.

I've said for years (ever since they replaced many of the benches with chairs) that there's an easy solution to improving the atmosphere at Williams. They need to have STUDENTS sitting in the first few rows around the court. Or at least part of the way around. That would have a "trickle up" effect on the people sitting behind them.

Sorry. Forcing everyone to stand for 2 hours is not a viable solution. Standing does not create atmosphere. Volume creates atmosphere.

You know the difference between everyone standing and everyone sitting? About 18 inches. Volume is not increased by having everyone's mouths 18 inches higher.

And I went to most home games since the early 70's. People did not stand the majority of the game. Sorry. It did not happen.

Sorry. Forcing everyone to stand for 2 hours is not a viable solution. Standing does not create atmosphere. Volume creates atmosphere.

You know the difference between everyone standing and everyone sitting? About 18 inches. Volume is not increased by having everyone's mouths 18 inches higher.

And I went to most home games since the early 70's. People did not stand the majority of the game. Sorry. It did not happen.

:clap:

Happy or not...The Barn needs a major make over.

I agree, we also need to find a section to put all the blue hairs that don't like people having fun. We sat just under the overhang behind the NU bench and I was told not to stand up because the blue hair couple behind us couldn't see. My boys were pretty scared to cheer after that

I agree, we also need to find a section to put all the blue hairs that don't like people having fun. We sat just under the overhang behind the NU bench and I was told not to stand up because the blue hair couple behind us couldn't see. My boys were pretty scared to cheer after that

Yeah, because it's completely impossible to cheer or make any noise whatsoever, unless you are standing up.

@WanderingGopher-
I agree with you. You may have had a shot at your plan 3 years ago, when they were coming up with the plan. I implored folks on here who cared, at the time, to organize and inundate the ticket office with "suggestions." Near as I can tell, nobody did a damn thing.

Yeah, because it's completely impossible to cheer or make any noise whatsoever, unless you are standing up.

@WanderingGopher-
I agree with you. You may have had a shot at your plan 3 years ago, when they were coming up with the plan. I implored folks on here who cared, at the time, to organize and inundate the ticket office with "suggestions." Near as I can tell, nobody did a damn thing.

Never said that! Just saying it happened and it made not only my family uncomfortable but it made several around us uncomfortable too. If people don't expect people to be excited and stand up and cheer from time to time why come?

I love the change. We have much better seats. We now sit in the second row, upper deck, above visitors bench. Worlds better than the bleachers in the corners of the upper deck. Love the change.

You DO realize that, starting at about row 25, if you stand the overhang is blocking part of your view, don't you?

You DO realize that, starting at about row 25, if you stand the overhang is blocking part of your view, don't you?

Lol yes but we were t that high up, don't make excuses for these people. For some reason gopher fans that are bused in from the nursing homes do this for all the sports and its insanely annoying. It wasn't a situation where we were standing the whole game, it was stand up, clap, told to sit down. If they are that upset stay home and watch from their lazy boy

A few issues come up if the students are seated at courtside rows. The U of M would lose several rows of the most desirable, high priced donor seats at a time when revenue maximization is key. With students standing, the relatively shallow grade of the lower deck becomes an issue for those behind them unless all or part of the tier was regraded, not a small undertaking and one that could sacrifice capacity. If students get moved to locations around the court, what becomes of the current student section which is rarely filled to capacity as is? Does it get at least partially repurposed?

I definitely agree that Williams Arena, if the U of M plans to retain it long term, needs another renovation. The Barn Lofts, a good revenue source, should be much nicer despite the limited space. Knocking down the relatively new additions on University and Oak and replacing them with larger, or at least better planned, additions that would improve concession choices and provide more concourse breathing room should be considered.

Here comes a gripe: We we able to get our same seats, with our friends of MANY years, in Section 105. We are the first row of bench seats, which we don't mind because they have more leg room and our backs are still functioning. We're on the aisle, next to a ramp that allows us to run down during a timeout, pick up popcorn, etc., and get back before the action starts. HOWEVER, the new, improved scoreboard is so large that we only see the bottom half of it from our seats. This is not right, given the "donation" we made, and we have emailed our complaint to the athletic department, with no reply as yet...

I'm sure that is annoying but what do you expect them to do?

People a couple rows behind that couldn't see the old one.

There seems to be no set mark on the scoreboard's height above the floor, or at least none that's adhered to. It has fluctuated occasionally from game to game for years due to being lowered for maintenance and then returned to a different height. It definitely seemed higher against Northwestern than just days earlier against Michigan State. There was a game or two in the late 1990s when it was positioned so low fans couldn't actually see the upper part of the backboard at the opposite end if seated in a higher row of 201 or 213.

Wow. That's ridiculous.

I totally understand the old people not wanting to stand the WHOLE GAME. But we've got to have people standing more often, at key times. Yes, you can cheer sitting down too, but it's not the same. Atmosphere is very important -- helps win games, helps win recruits. Instead of just 1 student section that stands all the time, we should have 1 or 2 "old fart" sections where people who want to sit all game can sit in peace.

Top Bottom