Foolish To Go The Field For a Number of Reasons

QUITE CLEARLY AN IOWA GRAD (working security). fire him and put him in his rightful place, Burger King... no that's cruel, I like BK, how about a dog food factory in Mason City.

You're as only old as you feel and act. I'm pushing 50 and had a blast running around with those kids hoot'in and holler'in. I don't give a rat's azz what Patti Ruesse or anyone else thinks. Go Gophers!

It was also foolish for Iowa fans to tear down our goalposts. I guess it's karma.

FWIW on the security guard: after emailing Mr. Maturi about it and including the links from this very page, he has informed me that the guard in question has already been terminated.

FWIW on the security guard: after emailing Mr. Maturi about it and including the links from this very page, he has informed me that the guard in question has already been terminated.

Tough way to get your 15 minutes of fame.

Also straight from the horse's mouth: security was instructed to allow fans on the field. I don't think the athletic department has had this policy before, but hey, what do I know?

I had no inention of jumping down over the wall and making my way down there. But when they opened up the stairs, that made the decision easy. Good chance to take a few pictures of a memorable day. Glad that security guard got what he had coming. They aren't all bad. The guy that patrols in front of 105 has always been real personable with us. Yesterday he gave us a bunch of brownies. Not the pot kind though.

Did anybody else notice the security guy (CSC in the pink jacket) in the NE corner of the stadium when the students ran onto the field? Frankly, I could not believe his maliciousness attacks on at least ten students, in which they were knocked to the ground. These were not simple pushes either; we are talking some pretty vicious swipes (kicks, elbows, etc.) At the least, the guy should be fired, and a criminal charge or two may be appropriate, too. I hope a camera picked this up.

Sorry to unload with that, but I talked with a few fans after the game who saw the same thing and couldn't believe the actions of this d-bag.

Go Gophers!

One of my best buds was taken out by that guy - swiped in mid-air while jumping over the wall. Broke his fingers.

Anyways, even I got onto the field. Just amazing.

In that situation, it's much better to just let people down on the field. They were coming anyways. And as long as no one is doing anything to harm or destroy anything, what is the harm? From a marketing standpoint, it's a great thing. Rushing the field, and having fun with the players and Floyd are things Gopher fans will remember just as much, if not more than the game.

In that situation, it's much better to just let people down on the field. They were coming anyways. And as long as no one is doing anything to harm or destroy anything, what is the harm? From a marketing standpoint, it's a great thing. Rushing the field, and having fun with the players and Floyd are things Gopher fans will remember just as much, if not more than the game.

I doubt very much that they had instructions to attack the fans if they attempted to storm the field. If it's just one or two, then you attempt to prevent them, but even then, you don't just start whacking at them. When there is a flood, you don't attempt to stop them, just keep an eye for anyone getting out of hand. A security guard who has a Dirty Harry complex is a liability.

I just watched some videos of said security guard...it almost made me laugh in a bad way. He had no intentions of keeping people off the field, he just wanted to take some free cheapshots at people.

This guy is toast. Over on GI, somebody wrote an email to Maturi about it with video & all and Maturi not only said they'd be looking into it, but that they instructed security to allow fans to come onto the field if the Gophers won. Simply a guy getting his jollys out of taking dirty shots and enjoying power. Reminded me of Mowser from Police Academy.

If he's getting off with just being fired, he's lucky.

Damn that is bad. In no way is he even trying to stop them, just trying to hurt them. People like him think they're tough when they actually come off as total wimps.

Bullies tend to be the biggest crybabies when someone challenges them.

Here's some closure on the situation I got back:

To whom it may concern;

Thank you for your email and expressing your concern of this incident. As the local manager, I too was appalled by the actions of one which put a damper on what was otherwise a great day. I've been responding to several similar emails all morning as this is an issue that needs to be dealt with immediately and it has been. I spoke to that employee yesterday and terminated his job/position within our team of Event Staff. We have zero tolerance for behavior like that and please know that his individual's sole actions do not represent the directive or actions of the rest of our event staff!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write me and I hope you realize that one person's actions are not representative of our company as whole.

Respectfully,

Rick Brown

Top Bottom