Foolish To Go The Field For a Number of Reasons

akgopher

Reaction score
But I did anyway. I'm too old to do that, it is an ordinary Iowa and sets a low bar for excellence and/or reflects a sad program.

I've been to every game this year and three last year, even found a dive bar on the East Coast to put the game on for me when Horton took over last year. I was at the game with my family when Coach Kill had a seizure, paid for a babysitter and dinner vs NDSU, and sat through a blow-out last week.

I had a hunch that the game was going to be decided in the student end zone and after the Gophers scored to get within 5 pts, I headed down and watched the onside kick from the end zone and of course the deciding score, the defensive stand, and Gray's clinching 1st down run. As the fans ran on the field my little guy said he wanted to go down, and I didn't think so, but a security supervisor must have read his lips and told me to bring him down. The players and the parents I saw seemed touched by the reaction and I sensed that fans were grateful that the players didn't quit on the season either.

I'm a Reusse fan and even make a point to read to Souhan and am waiting to hear their shots at us who went down and what a sad commentary it is for the state of the program. If they that is their take, I have to admit it is fair, I might even get a Turkey of the Year Award. It wasn't about beating Iowa, it was about a change in culture and players, coaches, and fans still believing. It could get ugly again during the next two weeks, but I saw a better team than the score indicated against Nebraska and a much better team today. A lot of the guys are growing into roles and some should be redshirting, but they are getting better.

I got chills watching the students pour onto the field.
I know it's only our second win, but that sure was a cool sight seeing Floyd ride through a wave of people.

Did anybody else notice the security guy (CSC in the pink jacket) in the NE corner of the stadium when the students ran onto the field? Frankly, I could not believe his maliciousness attacks on at least ten students, in which they were knocked to the ground. These were not simple pushes either; we are talking some pretty vicious swipes (kicks, elbows, etc.) At the least, the guy should be fired, and a criminal charge or two may be appropriate, too. I hope a camera picked this up.

Sorry to unload with that, but I talked with a few fans after the game who saw the same thing and couldn't believe the actions of this d-bag.

Go Gophers!

Foolish To Go The Field For a Number of Reasons

Whatever. It's a trophy game. The games is played for the school. I don't have any issue with the students taking part in it. OSU fans rushed the field after beating the 15 team in the country. Just part of the fun of being a student. I was on the field last year and it was a blast (I wasn't a student then either).

Did anybody else notice the security guy (CSC in the pink jacket) in the NE corner of the stadium when the students ran onto the field? Frankly, I could not believe his maliciousness attacks on at least ten students, in which they were knocked to the ground. These were not simple pushes either; we are talking some pretty vicious swipes (kicks, elbows, etc.) At the least, the guy should be fired, and a criminal charge or two may be appropriate, too. I hope a camera picked this up.

Sorry to unload with that, but I talked with a few fans after the game who saw the same thing and couldn't believe the actions of this d-bag.

Go Gophers!

I saw it and was shocked. I was thinking maybe policy allowed him some latitude if going on the field was trespassing. He seemed to be enjoying himself and was talking to another security guard while doing it. He isn't that big, so he was lucky that he didn't get drilled, but I didn't see him go after anyone bigger than him. Funny thing is, I was appalled by the attitudes expressed in comments of a group of five security guards walking together heading down for the end of the game and thought to myself it must be a low paying outfit, to have these types of people working for them in this economy. But I've never witnessed anything like what the guy in the pink jacket and white sunglasses was doing. I'm sure security cameras caught it and I'm betting people in the athletic and football departments won't be happy if they see it.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. I was watching it, and commenting. He was looking like he was doing his best to hit people. It's one thing if he was actually trying to keep people off the field, but he was just hitting them and letting them continue on their way. He was tripping, leg whipping, and shoulder checking people. Pretty extreme.

Go Gophers!

That's a joke. I walked onto the field after the Gophers' last win in Kinnick Stadium. Come on people. It's a football game. What's the the damage fans are going to do?

I saw that a-hole security *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bag too. Someone in a white shirt and headset came over and talked to him and he knocked it off so hopefully that guy is never on the field again.

I was in that corner where that security guard was and he was looking to knock some heads. We told him we were coming onto the field and trying to be cool about it and he just kept shaking his head and saying don't do it. My friends said they could see him giving elbows from the opposite of the stadium.

I hope people report his actions...there is no place for that at a college sporting event...not the fans, the students, the athletes or the security. It is supposed to be fun...it is a rivalry game!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw that *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# in the pink. When I saw him tripping/cheap shotting every kid that ran buy him, I attempted to run right through the f'er...and that was after a different security guard told me to go ahead to get on the field.

Concerning the OP, I think it's awesome that the fans enjoyed this win. You've got to enjoy the little things in life. Had I been there, I would have gone down for sure and I'm probably older than you.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw that *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# in the pink. When I saw him tripping/cheap shotting every kid that ran buy him, I attempted to run right through the f'er...and that was after a different security guard told me to go ahead to get on the field.

Here's a clip of him putting a shoulder into a student. It's at 7-8 seconds into the clip. Perhaps others have more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qs2FaOtC-g

It's at the bottom left of the clip.

Here's a link to contact the company the U hires from: http://www.csc-usa.com/Contact.aspx#

If you click on the Minnesota link you can get to their Minnesota branch manager. I just did a copy+paste to the President, CEO, General Counsel, and VP of Ops.

I'm not sure who the correct contact on the U's side would be. Maybe Joel Maturi? Regardless you can't have security guys you PAY for to be checking your own students. On the student section's side they made sure everything was clear and then pulled everyone back and let it happen. This should have been the case everywhere.

Back to the OP...

My wife and I rushed (well maybe rushed is an overstatement, because the filed was pretty full by the time we got there) the field. We were a good 20-years older than the average fan on the field, but it was a really fun experience and one I'd never had before. I've been a season ticket holder since 1999 and only missed a few games in that time and yesterday's will remain among the most memorable that I've experienced.

Go Gophers. Rah!

It was entirely appropriate to rush the field. Its a great school spirit moment, and that's all that's needed to qualify in my book. If we are 3-3 and we beat Indiana, then no. If we win to to the Rose Bowl, yes. If we beat anyone on a 60 yard hail mary at the gun, yes. If we are having a brutal season but salvage hope by beating Iowa, yes.

On the Southwest side of the stadium there was one security officer chasing people down. Never got one! Was sad to watch though. This is a case of just letting them go. No damage will be done and no one will be hurt.

I don't think I'd ever be too critical of our fans rushing the field. Unlike the dome, it's our field, on our campus, and we're celebrating our victory. I say if you want to rush the field after every victory, go right ahead. It's college football!

I don't want to overgeneralize, but you do get some security guards who were rejected by the police (for good reason!) and who are too eager to hurt people.

Security Guards are trained not to touch people unless it is in self defense. That guy is toast.

Very strange to hear this story. He must have been the one bad apple in the group, because everywhere I looked the security people were helping. They were helping the students onto the field so they wouldn't hurt themselves. In section 135, the security was trying to not allow people to use the stairs to go onto the field, then another security guy came up and pushed him out of the way. It was pretty funny.

We rushed the field as well, and it was so fun. Great win for the team and the fans. Saw a guy in his 50's down on his hands and knees kissing the field. This was a needed program changing win for Kill. The team bought in and started to play without thinking today. The future is bright for our Gophers!!!

The Iowa fans around us got out of there fast after that 4th down play. They did not like our chants of "35 SOUTH" as they were
leaving with tails between their legs!

The AXE is next!

I don't want to overgeneralize, but you do get some security guards who were rejected by the police (for good reason!) and who are too eager to hurt people.

+1

And they are probably bed wetters as well.

Not gonna lie, probably half the security guards outside gate B were actually giving Herky high-fives as he was walking by..So wouldn't surprise me if this guy was just venting about losing the pig again. Full time security guard = reality of Iowa undergrad diploma

This was a needed program changing win for Kill.

I always have issues with statements like this. There's no way to know what this win means. It could be best judged as a season changing win in a few games. As far as a program changing win, give it a few years and maybe you can point back and circle this game as the time when things turned around. Yes, we did beat Iowa, but this isn't New Year's Day bowl Iowa, this is Motor City Bowl Iowa.

Here is the video I took of that security guard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaLvUinp9HM

Good work on the videos, guys. Both, however, show the end of this guy's actions and not really the worst of it (which, in my opinion, was him winding up and trying to kick the student's legs out from underneath them as they ran by). In the video, you can see him reaching down to put his shoe back on, which must have come off during one of his kicks. Again, total d-bag!

Top Bottom