Fleck Spring practice presser

OK, did Mafe legitimately vertical jump 40”? The highest at the combine for DL was 36.”

OK, did Mafe legitimately vertical jump 40”? The highest at the combine for DL was 36.”
Sorry, but vertical jump is the biggest BS in all of football testing. That is, doing the Vertec test.

I can link to an awesome video on all this.

I would estimate that "true" vertical leaping ability of humans, is probably something like 10" less than what Vertec testing shows, when you factor in all the different ways it allows the true number to be "cheated".

I doubt he jumped 40", but he did have a 6'7" high jump in HS while he weighed around 230 lbs.

Sorry, but vertical jump is the biggest BS in all of football testing. That is, doing the Vertec test.

I would estimate that "true" vertical leaping ability of humans, is probably something like 10" less than what Vertec testing shows, when you factor in all the different ways it allows the true number to be "cheated".
Could you elaborate on this? Just curious as I don't know much about how they test this.

Could you elaborate on this? Just curious as I don't know much about how they test this.
The device itself (Vertec) is fine. It's like a long vertical pole that has all these plastic "arms" (for lack of a better word), like every half inch or so going up, and you jump up and touch as many as the "arms" as you can. That determines how high you can touch.

Then they subtract off some baseline. And the difference is declared the vertical leap.

It's the baseline that's BS.

The device itself (Vertec) is fine. It's like a long vertical pole that has all these plastic "arms" (for lack of a better word), like every half inch or so going up, and you jump up and touch as many as the "arms" as you can. That determines how high you can touch.

Then they subtract off some baseline. And the difference is declared the vertical leap.

Ah, I see.

Wouldn't the baseline be the person tested's vertical reach flat-footed? If I can reach, say 93"(baseline) flat-footed but can reach 120" in a jump, wouldn't my vertical be 27"?

Do you have a better test for measuring a person's vertical jump?

Last edited:

Wouldn't the baseline be the person being tested's vertical reach flat-footed? If I can reach, say 93"(baseline) flat-footed but can reach 120" in a jump, wouldn't my vertical be 27"?

Here's a video explaining how its easy to cheat the baseline:

Yes, that’s the video in particular explaining everything. It’s a good one, worth the 10-15mins.

Wouldn't the baseline be the person being tested's vertical reach flat-footed? If I can reach, say 93"(baseline) flat-footed but can reach 120" in a jump, wouldn't my vertical be 27"?

Don’t forget the length of your foot! When you’re launching yourself upward, you leave the ground off of the balls of your feet, not flat footed. So that adds a good amount of the length of your feet to your vertical touch above your flat footed baseline.

Yes a better test would be using the force pad. See the video above

It’s adequate for comparing leaping abilities of two or more athletes, which is all I care about (and apparently what the NFL cares about). According to PJ, Boye Mafe jumps 3.5” higher than Danielle Hunter did at the combine. That’s amazing, if it’s true.

It’s adequate for comparing leaping abilities of two or more athletes, which is all I care about (and apparently what the NFL cares about). According to PJ, Boye Mafe jumps 3.5” higher than Danielle Hunter did at the combine. That’s amazing, if it’s true.

People love rounding up with stuff like that, so I have my doubts. Like you said though, amazing if true.

Hey, it's a million times better than I can do. And yes, it's reasonable as a relative measure, if you don't care what the true absolute number is.

I have to agree with you on this. This isn't an Olympic vertical jump event where fractions make a difference. The 40 yard dash isn't a perfect measure of the athletes speed either, but we've somehow managed all this time.

I was wondering if someone was going to say that PJ did a 40" vertical jump that caused to him to miss a couple of pressers. :unsure:

Pretty smooth way to handle this...

——

HOW MUCH OF A COMPETITION IS IT GOING TO BE BETWEEN ZACK ANNEXSTAD AND TANNER MORGAN?

Fleck: First of all, I think Tanner Morgan's earned the first team reps. Period. In terms of the spring.

I think if you ask Tanner, if you ask Zach, you ask Cole, if you ask Jacob, they all want an opportunity, and everybody's going to get an opportunity. I think that that's what this program is about.

But I think when you look at what Tanner has done, at the body of work over a period of time, what he's done for this institution, what he's done with the football program, what he does in a leadership role that he has, he's earned the first team reps in the spring.

And I think if if you ask Tanner Morgan as humble of a kid he is, are you the starter? He's going to say I gotta go earn it. And I wouldn't have it any other way. But it's going to be a very competitive spring and we want it to be that way because the great thing about it is, I know what they can do.

But now we have an offensive coordinator who gets to coach them and teach them for the first time, and gets to see their strengths and gets to see their abilities to be able to grow on. And I think that's really critical for our spring is to get Coach Sanford familiar with all of them. He's been able to work here and there on some techniques and fundamentals, but to really dive into the quarterback position in terms of playing the game. I'm really excited about that.

Also, NFL combine vertical jumps are without any steps. Sometimes people allow one step before jumping which can usually add a rather substantial amount, which could be how his 40" vertical was measured. Impressive either way though.

Watch the leidballs box jump at the combine. He did great 37 or 38.

Yes, that’s the video in particular explaining everything. It’s a good one, worth the 10-15mins.
Huh. I have been underrating my own vertical leap all these years. I count my baseline as how far I can reach up if I stretch as far as I can. Leaving one foot in place and jumping straight up I could touch 39 inches above that...with size 9.5 feet mind you.

Huh. I have been underrating my own vertical leap all these years. I count my baseline as how far I can reach up if I stretch as far as I can. Leaving one foot in place and jumping straight up I could touch 39 inches above that...with size 9.5 feet mind you.
This summer stun some folks with the picnic table standing jump. That one always wins the crowd.

Within a couple years, PJ will have him breaking the 300+ lb. world record for the vert.

Sounds like a plan but I'm 45 now and the spring is gone.
Drink about 10-12 beers at the picnic, then try it. The athleticism always comes back. At least in my imagination it does. Then comes the inevitable trip to the emergency room.

Drink about 10-12 beers at the picnic, then try it. The athleticism always comes back. At least in my imagination it does. Then comes the inevitable trip to the emergency room.

There's a point in time where you have to give it up. Hard concrete floor rules.

Don’t forget the length of your foot! When you’re launching yourself upward, you leave the ground off of the balls of your feet, not flat footed. So that adds a good amount of the length of your feet to your vertical touch above your flat footed baseline.

Yes a better test would be using the force pad. See the video above
By your reasoning the high jump should be amended to take foot length in consideration. Silly.

By your reasoning the high jump should be amended to take foot length in consideration.
That’s not at all what my reasoning argues.

Just as it doesn’t argue that the high jump should take the height of the jumper into consideration.

Top Bottom