Fleck Post Game - Wow Was This A Shot.

Kaliakmanis turns the ball over. I don't see Fleck trying to humiliate him.

I'm not sure I'm on board with Kaliakmanis to be honest. We'll see how he turns out I guess. Having said that...

QBs are going to naturally fumble the ball more because they are not tucking it, potentially getting ready to throw, and probably scanning the field for targets. They also get the most touches on the offense. Obviously there are limits to being gracious with your QB.

But RBs that fumble ride the pine.

To add: Just look at end of year stats between QBs and RBs in the NFL and CFB. You'll see QBs averaging 3x to 4x as many fumbles as RBs.

Last edited:

No, he was referring to some other halfback who ran for two yards in the game he was talking about.

Heh, yeah he was referring to Tyler. If he wasn't then he's a bit absent-minded. Regardless, this is pro sports. Get it done or get replaced.

Tyler is at a point in his career at the U where he does need something to kick him in the butt. He likely still has an opportunity to help us win some football games and if he takes this comment as a slight and it drives him to be better - good. If it takes it as an insult and cowers, well, I am not sure he was the right guy here.

I am as big a PJ supporter as anybody. But the Gophers had two RBs run the ball yesterday. One ran for 204 and one ran for 2. Maybe Tyler was whining about not playing? Or else PJ knows him well enough that by saying this it will motivate him.

Tyler still has a role as a receiver out of the backfield. He can contribute. He is just not strong enough to be a Big Ten running back, especially in an offense that pounds the ball straight ahead.

If we have even more injuries we will see Marquis Williams and/or Max Grande before we see much of Sean. That is not punishment. That is trying to win.
Agree. At this point running between the tackles is not advisable.

Don't worry. Someday Fleck will move on to another school, and you'll hate him. Then you'll be far worse than me.
You're a miserable person.

Why would anyone hate PJ? The guy has been as ambassador for the U and the state of Minnesota.

Unless he leaves under academic scrutiny, sexual assault cover up, etc. he will have people's respect.

I don't hate Pitino, Brewster. You realize he won't coach here for eternity, right? I would love for him to finish his career here but If PJ leaves for better pastures, then I'm guessing the U is in a positive position to bring in another high quality coach.

Based off this thread, hard to be worse than you.

Last edited:

You're a miserable person.

Why would anyone hate PJ? The guy has been as ambassador for the U and the state of Minnesota.

Unless he leaves under academic scrutiny, sexual assault cover up, etc. he will have people's respect.

I don't hate Pitino, Brewster. You realize he won't coach here for eternity, right? I would love for him to finish his career here but If PJ leaves for better pastures, then I'm guessing the U is in a positive position to bring in another high quality coach.

Based off this thread, hard to be worse than you.
Don't worry. That wasn't a collective You.

Really hope that wasn't a shot at Tyler. Just an ugly look for a coach to call out a kid publicly.
lol....not sure if you are just playing dumb but he didn't call him out publicly. It was literally a comment he made where he referenced a yardage total right at the end of his press conference while talking specifically about Nubin.

There are a few people in here trying to make something out of nothing in regards to this comment. Shockingly those are also the same people that are usually looking for a reason to take a shot at Fleck....but I'm sure that is just a strange coincidence....

There are a few people in here trying to make something out of nothing in regards to this comment. Shockingly those are also the same people that are usually looking for a reason to take a shot at Fleck....but I'm sure that is just a strange coincidence....
I started this thread. PLEASE FIND a Post where I have taken a shot at PJ Fleck. I am a huge supporter. This is the best era of Gopher football in my lifetime. You can search my posts here.

lol....not sure if you are just playing dumb but he didn't call him out publicly. It was literally a comment he made where he referenced a yardage total right at the end of his press conference while talking specifically about Nubin.

I think that is why I said I HOPE it wasn’t a shot.

And using “lol?” Good lord. The maturity and intelligence level of this site continues to deteriorate.

Rightfully so, P.J. was going on and on about how Jo Jo Nubin took advantage of his opportunity. Referring to the opportunity "When you get it, what are you going to do with it? Do you run for 204 or do you run for 2?"

Nubin ran for 204. Sean Tyler ran for 2. Is he trying to motivate Tyler? I hope Tyler takes it the right way. The thin running back room still might need him.

Video Link
I don’t think Fleck had any idea Tyler ran for 2 yards when he said that. I don’t think he was referencing Tyler at all. I think it was sheer coincidence. 2 is easy to say after 200.

I started this thread. PLEASE FIND a Post where I have taken a shot at PJ Fleck. I am a huge supporter. This is the best era of Gopher football in my lifetime. You can search my posts here.
My comment was directed at the more recent posters trying to blow the comment out of proportion but as I stated earlier I do think this thread was off base from the beginning.

You didn't take a shot at Fleck but by highlighting the closing line from his press conference that came on the heels of 2 minutes gushing about a player who had a career day gave those looking for reasons to complain about Fleck something to latch onto.

Coach gave his two running backs opportunities on Saturday: one got 40, the other 2. I guess those are the facts. Personally I’m interested in hearing more about what he did with the Axe. That’s a lot of wood to put into bed with the wife.

From the super humiliators at Daily Gopher:

“The Western Michigan transfer’s time at Minnesota has been underwhelming to say the least. Ball security issues in the first two games led to Tyler being benched. With Bryce Williams out for the year and Darius Taylor and Zach Evans both sidelined with injuries, this game was an opportunity for Tyler to get his season back on track, but he literally fumbled away that opportunity. On his first carry of the game, Tyler put the ball on the turf and Michigan State recovered, allowing the Spartans to take a 3-0 lead on their ensuing drive. I’m not sure how much we’ll see Tyler the rest of the way, if we even see him at all.”

They are so mean!

I never even considered that the "2" comment was referencing #2 until this thread and had assumed it was an easy 200 vs 200 comment. Whatever. If you're a player that gets butthurt with that comment after a bad performance, then be better.

I never even considered that the "2" comment was referencing #2 until this thread and had assumed it was an easy 200 vs 200 comment. Whatever. If you're a player that gets butthurt with that comment after a bad performance, then be better.
2 was actually his rushing yardage total for the game, so wasn’t even a shot at his number.

my guess is Fleck glanced at the stats before he went out there and he used the totals to emphasize how well Nubian did. But of course there are those that will always choose to find a negative way to spin things. So to them it was Fleck insulting Tyler as opposed to praising Nubian.

I won't be patient with a coach who publicly rubs his player's face in his failure. And Fleck's comment, though brief, was anything but vague.

When I start advertising my virtuousness and spouting Forget About Me I Love You to show how great I am, then start holding me to an elevated standard.
Last time I ✔️, we’re all human, and sometimes make mistakes, including me, you and everyone else on the board, so maybe trafficking in absolutes isn’t “good form.”

You also likely care about this more than Sean.

Last time I ✔️, we’re all human, and sometimes make mistakes, including me, you and everyone else on the board, so maybe trafficking in absolutes isn’t “good form.”

You also likely care about this more than Sean.
That might be true. I don't imagine that he's crying in his closet.

But I object to Fleck's falseness and lack of integrity.

Fired up the DVR for the game last evening with Kiddo.

Although not apparent sitting high up in 211, it was very clear from the replay that Tyler was beating himself up after the fumble. You do not have to be a kinesics expert to read his head and general body language as he left the pile and worked his way through the team to the bench. He knew he messed up big time.

Doesn't change what happened on the field, but remorse is the start of accountability. Problem is that doing a Bart at the chalkboard doesn't cut it for athletes. In this case, not changing your best but changing your worst.

I wish him luck with whatever chances he's given from here.

The funny thing is no one has shown any evidence that Tyler was offended by the comment. Nor has anyone shown evidence Fleck was even "taking a shot" with what was probably just an innocuous comment. After all, what he was really doing was lauding Jordan Nubin's hard work and response to the opportunity. That is the pure definition of a great coach rewarding his guy with praise.

My guess is that if Sean Tyler were remotely aware of all the pain and anquish expressed here over his feelings he would be laughing at GHers.

Top Bottom