Fleck Post Game - Wow Was This A Shot.

I think it only lasted the first season...but no more than 2 is my recollection...

Right, let’s have a safe room for offended children. Don’t want to lose the team.
Has nothing to do with a "safe" room. It has everything to do with a benign comment being interpreted as some kind of shot across the bow. There is equal probability he meant nothing by it as there is it was something sinister. I believe this is a case of looking for meaning where there is none.

Maybe if it were the military and the kids signed their life away, you can get away with acting an ass. He had already benched him. Would you prefer he humiliate him further "just to send a message"? To make sure the rest of the team knows they aren't "safe"? Pretty sure Tyler knows he f'd up. No need to further piss on the guy while he is down. It just isn't in PJ's nature to dish backhanded compliments like that. It serves nothing.

Again, just a reminder...these are adults playing D1 football. Getting free college plus NIL money. This isn't 5 year-old tee ball.

I had physics professors at the U that said "tougher" things than this to the students.

Holy crap some of you are thin skinned if you see this is a massive insult. Sad that people get so hung up dwelling on the negative that they will ignore the other 2 minutes of praise for the guy who played the game of his life over 2 seconds at the end of the clip where he referenced the yardage total of the guy who fumbled AGAIN when given the opportunity to be the starter.

He didn't even call out Tyler by name and it was right at the end of his closing remarks. In retrospect he probably should have left that last bit off but some of you are trying really hard to make it into more than it was.
I don't think there was anything there. PJ will never be mistaken for solving complex equations. 200 and 2 are a nice alliteration. Thinking it was a shot and acting like it was a shot are equally reaching.

Tyler should have been benched and he was. 'Nuff said right there. J. Nubin balled out, and watching his brother run down there after his first score was worth the price of the ticket alone. After the second one I wanted to run down there and hug them both! What a cool friggin' moment.

Again, just a reminder...these are adults playing D1 football. Getting free college plus NIL money. This isn't 5 year-old tee ball.

I had physics professors at the U that said "tougher" things than this to the students.
In front of a room full of reporters,and air on the internet? On the other hand players know that what they do during games will be reported publically, good and sometimes bad things. But that did not need to be said, the player was benched and everyone knows he's in the coach's doghouse.

Interesting that you put it in terms of sensitivity. I would put it in terms of utility, respect, and virtue.

It wasn't coaching, was it? Taking shots at your own players has no utility.

It wasn't respectful. I thought Fleck believed in Respect.

It doesn't demonstrate forbearance, kindness, patience, or self-control. There's no virtue in taking shots at your players.

What it looks like is an exasperated coach venting at a player. To what possible purpose except embarrass him?

I doubt that Fleck or anyone in his household reads this board, but I hope I'm wrong. I hope he knows that his Forget About Me I Love You BS is wearing thin. In this instance it's so thin it's transparent.
You wrote a treatise on something you have no idea happened. He was talking about Nubin. Nobody here knows if part of it was directed at Tyler.

With all due respect you are putting the focus on the wrong thing with this video clip. Yes there was a thinly veiled shot at Tyler at the end but the focus of this clip should be on celebrating a player who has put in the work, been a great team player, waited for his opportunity, and then made the most of it when he got it.

If Tyler gets offended by the comment that is on him. He has been given multiple opportunities and literally fumbled them all away. He can pout or he can get to work figuring out why the heck he can't hang onto the ball and fixing it.

He may well get another opportunity at some point and if he does all we can do is hope he figures things out and is able to take advantage of it.

Congrats to Nubin for stepping up when the team desperately needed him too.
Tyler already had another opportunity on the short flare pass which he turned into 22 yards except for the fact AK couldn’t deliver a back yard toss.

It is definitely a shot, it can't be anything else. Funny that you pretend it could be anything else.

Fleck had two RBs available. One he runs 40 for 204 yards, the other gets 2 carries for 2 yards. He specifically says, "When you get [an opportunity], what are you going to do with it? Do you run for 204 or do you run for 2?" Only in fairyland is that not taking a shot.

Go ahead and refer to me as "one random," I can take it. You're just one random, too. So your opinion is just as inconsequential as mine.
With Tyler it’s not just the fumbling. He’s not strong enough for the BT, doesn’t read blocks well, and is easy to tackle. Fleck is at fault for foolishly giving Tyler far too many opportunities.

Has nothing to do with a "safe" room. It has everything to do with a benign comment being interpreted as some kind of shot across the bow. There is equal probability he meant nothing by it as there is it was something sinister. I believe this is a case of looking for meaning where there is none.

Maybe if it were the military and the kids signed their life away, you can get away with acting an ass. He had already benched him. Would you prefer he humiliate him further "just to send a message"? To make sure the rest of the team knows they aren't "safe"? Pretty sure Tyler knows he f'd up. No need to further piss on the guy while he is down. It just isn't in PJ's nature to dish backhanded compliments like that. It serves nothing.
It’s a little like the military. There are 85 spots and you either sign your life away or give it to someone else. And like the military, if you hang tough all the way you come out a better man. Ask Zach Evans how it works

I won't get behind a coach that does stuff like this on purpose but I cannot remember the last time he openly criticized a player like that in a press room so I'm going to take it as a) he didn't mean it as a shot or b) he got caught up in the moment.

Either way, he has been consistent enough in his actions over the years to earn the benefit of the doubt when he does do something like this.

I would just remind him that his golden children this year (BSF & AK) are playing very poorly and his QB has thrown as many interceptions as he has touchdowns.

It’s a little like the military. There are 85 spots and you either sign your life away or give it to someone else. And like the military, if you hang tough all the way you come out a better man. Ask Zach Evans how it works
Aye aye Cappy!

I won't be patient with a coach who publicly rubs his player's face in his failure. And Fleck's comment, though brief, was anything but vague.

When I start advertising my virtuousness and spouting Forget About Me I Love You to show how great I am, then start holding me to an elevated standard.
Good lord. How long have you been holding this in???? You also called PJ a hypocrite is this thread.

In 7 years I cannot remember PJ calling out a specific player. But instead of giving the benefit of the doubt, you unleash all of your pent up PJ vitriol.

Kudos.

I will never understand why some rbs fumble more. And even more perplexing is Tyler was not a fumbler at WMU. Why all of a sudden?

Didn't Adrian Peterson have one awful year for fumbles and then kind of figured it out after that?

I still hold out hope for Tyler to figure it out this year.
There are few things I'd love to see more for an individual on this team than Tyler figure it out before the end of the season. That and Kaliakmanis go through reads and hit his receiver in stride and at the numbers 3/4 of the time lol

Huh? I was in the military. Trust me, they have spots for everyone, and not everyone comes out a better man. To be fair, a lot do but wars especially screw up a lot of people.

Given that PJ isn’t one to make controversial or insulting comments publicly, I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt here. Some of you are really desperate to find things to rip PJ for.
Hands down the best coach we've had in my 40 years of life. People can rip him for all the little shit they want but his intangibles have put us back on the map and have led us to sustained success, particularly against the Badgers.

Rightfully so, P.J. was going on and on about how Jo Jo Nubin took advantage of his opportunity. Referring to the opportunity "When you get it, what are you going to do with it? Do you run for 204 or do you run for 2?"

Nubin ran for 204. Sean Tyler ran for 2. Is he trying to motivate Tyler? I hope Tyler takes it the right way. The thin running back room still might need him.

Video Link
I think it was meant to be general to all those behind someone on the depth chart, meaning work hard and be prepared for the opportunity, not specific to this situation.

There are few things I'd love to see more for an individual on this team than Tyler figure it out before the end of the season. That and Kaliakmanis go through reads and hit his receiver in stride and at the numbers 3/4 of the time lol
Tyler still has a role as a receiver out of the backfield. He can contribute. He is just not strong enough to be a Big Ten running back, especially in an offense that pounds the ball straight ahead.

If we have even more injuries we will see Marquis Williams and/or Max Grande before we see much of Sean. That is not punishment. That is trying to win.

Last edited:

Coaches made several mistakes in portal evaluation this time around. Crooms and Collins are good. Jones worthwhile. Spencer and Tyler miscues. Not sure about Selig. He has not been good but playing with some injuries.
Spencer, Tyler and Selig have all been playing at least some, so is that a miscue? I think a miscue would be more like taking a freshman transfer and he never ends up playing. Taking a senior to be depth or rotational piece isn’t really a miss, it might not be the hit some had hoped, but if they are playing I assume the coaches feel they are upgrades.

Huh? I was in the military. Trust me, they have spots for everyone, and not everyone comes out a better man. To be fair, a lot do but wars especially screw up a lot of people.
Well, true. They have spots for more than 85 guys. But there are not thousands of kids who wish they had one of those spots like there are in bigtime football.

Not every player comes out a better man. But on balance, I don't know of anything outside the military that builds men better than college football. Jordan Nubin put in thousands of hours preparing for a chance. He waived at his mother from the sidelines for three years while she watched his brother shine. That's what it's about.

Spencer, Tyler and Selig have all been playing at least some, so is that a miscue? I think a miscue would be more like taking a freshman transfer and he never ends up playing. Taking a senior to be depth or rotational piece isn’t really a miss, it might not be the hit some had hoped, but if they are playing I assume the coaches feel they are upgrades.
OK, there's logic there. Miscue would only apply if they could have gotten someone better. We'll never know on that.

Overall, Fleck and staff have been solid on transfer signings.

OK, there's logic there. Miscue would only apply if they could have gotten someone better. We'll never know on that.

Overall, Fleck and staff have been solid on transfer signings.
I do have to imagine that they could’ve landed a better rb for this offense. I think Tyler can have a role at this level, but a featured back in this offense is a poor fit. You would think rbs would be lined up to come here.

Tyler still has a role as a receiver out of the backfield. He can contribute. He is just not strong enough to be a Big Ten running back, especially in an offense that pounds the ball straight ahead.

If we have even more injuries we will see Marquis Williams and/or Max Grande before we see much of Sean. That is not punishment. That is trying to win.
I think he should just field returns.

Interesting that you put it in terms of sensitivity. I would put it in terms of utility, respect, and virtue.

It wasn't coaching, was it? Taking shots at your own players has no utility.

It wasn't respectful. I thought Fleck believed in Respect.

It doesn't demonstrate forbearance, kindness, patience, or self-control. There's no virtue in taking shots at your players.

What it looks like is an exasperated coach venting at a player. To what possible purpose except embarrass him?

I doubt that Fleck or anyone in his household reads this board, but I hope I'm wrong. I hope he knows that his Forget About Me I Love You BS is wearing thin. In this instance it's so thin it's transparent.
Geezus. You’re insufferable.

Top Bottom