Fleck Post Game - Wow Was This A Shot.

Yeah I'm sure he is worried about losing the fans and team cause one random on a board thinks his shtick has run thin. Especially based on a comment that might not be a shot.

That is definitely what I want in a coach!

I don’t think of it as a “shot” I do think of it as a fact.

Player execution has been a problem throughout this year. Makes sense to point that out in a way.

Yeah I'm sure he is worried about losing the fans and team cause one random on a board thinks his shtick has run thin. Especially based on a comment that might not be a shot.

That is definitely what I want in a coach!

It is definitely a shot, it can't be anything else. Funny that you pretend it could be anything else.

Fleck had two RBs available. One he runs 40 for 204 yards, the other gets 2 carries for 2 yards. He specifically says, "When you get [an opportunity], what are you going to do with it? Do you run for 204 or do you run for 2?" Only in fairyland is that not taking a shot.

Go ahead and refer to me as "one random," I can take it. You're just one random, too. So your opinion is just as inconsequential as mine.

I think you are parsing words looking for some kind of dig. I'm sure he's disappointed, but a good leader will criticize in private. Historically PJ has not used passive aggressive tactics on his own players and definitely not in public. Good way to lose the team if the coach is willing to skewer his own players.
Maybe the team is pissed too and this is his way to let it be known to them that he's aware of Tyler being a disappointment without actively criticizing him in the locker room in front of his teammates. I wouldn't take this approach myself, but I guess it's possible.

I am retired but spent 40 years as a head high school coach of various high school sports. I am not a fan of calling out players in public. The reference to "2 yards" is not really a fair comparison because after the fumble he didn't get to carry the ball anymore. Who knows ... maybe he doesn't fumble again and has a great day if he had more carries. Just saying not really a good comparison when one guy gets 40 carries and the other gets 1 or 2. However, I don't disagree with not playing him after the fumble in a close game. Then it gets to be a matter of trusting that player and it was obvious the Fleck didn't trust him to not fumble again.

I am retired but spent 40 years as a head high school coach of various high school sports. I am not a fan of calling out players in public. The reference to "2 yards" is not really a fair comparison because after the fumble he didn't get to carry the ball anymore. Who knows ... maybe he doesn't fumble again and has a great day if he had more carries. Just saying not really a good comparison when one guy gets 40 carries and the other gets 1 or 2. However, I don't disagree with not playing him after the fumble in a close game. Then it gets to be a matter of trusting that player and it was obvious the Fleck didn't trust him to not fumble again.
I believe they threw to him once or twice throughout the game. I recall the one play where his knee was down when he caught the ball behind the LOS.

Agree completely. I coached a different sport, but the principle is the same.

You have to recognize as a coach that some athletes aren't going to succeed, whether it's physical ability, drive, disposition, or whatever.

One thing that a lot of fans and a few coaches need to learn is that Tyler didn't wake up Saturday morning and say to himself, "I think I'll fumble today. Hurting my team would be fun." He wanted to succeed, as they all do. Personal failure is painful enough without the coach taking shots at him on the record.

Interesting that you put it in terms of sensitivity. I would put it in terms of utility, respect, and virtue.

It wasn't coaching, was it? Taking shots at your own players has no utility.

It wasn't respectful. I thought Fleck believed in Respect.

It doesn't demonstrate forbearance, kindness, patience, or self-control. There's no virtue in taking shots at your players.

What it looks like is an exasperated coach venting at a player. To what possible purpose except embarrass him?

I doubt that Fleck or anyone in his household reads this board, but I hope I'm wrong. I hope he knows that his Forget About Me I Love You BS is wearing thin. In this instance it's so thin it's transparent.
Good lord it was a 2 second line at the end of a bit praising a guy for doing all the right things.....get over yourself.

Good lord it was a 2 second line at the end of a bit praising a guy for doing all the right things.....get over yourself.
I'm over myself. I just have a hard time getting over Fleck's hypocrisy. He couldn't find it in himself to praise one guy without taking a shot at another guy. It reveals something that we alreayd know: he isn't the man he pretends to be.

Don't be a moron.

If it causes Tyler to quit the team, then Fleck should absolutely take a bit of heat for a poor choice of words.

We can’t really afford to lose another RB and the comment was completely unnecessary.

Why does a comment of

“What do you do when the opportunity comes? Do you run for 200 yards?”

carry any less weight and congratulations for Nubin than adding the extra insult of

“What do you do when the opportunity comes? Do you run for 200 yards or do you run for 2?”

Mind you this is the same guy who told the media that he and wife slept with the Axe.

Oh sorry, just kidding! (Uh huh)

He does not think through what he says. That’s how he operates.

Holy crap some of you are thin skinned if you see this is a massive insult. Sad that people get so hung up dwelling on the negative that they will ignore the other 2 minutes of praise for the guy who played the game of his life over 2 seconds at the end of the clip where he referenced the yardage total of the guy who fumbled AGAIN when given the opportunity to be the starter.

He didn't even call out Tyler by name and it was right at the end of his closing remarks. In retrospect he probably should have left that last bit off but some of you are trying really hard to make it into more than it was.

Holy crap some of you are thin skinned if you see this is a massive insult. Sad that people get so hung up dwelling on the negative that they will ignore the other 2 minutes of praise for the guy who played the game of his life over 2 seconds at the end of the clip where he referenced the yardage total of the guy who fumbled AGAIN when given the opportunity to be the starter.

He didn't even call out Tyler by name and it was right at the end of his closing remarks. In retrospect he probably should have left that last bit off but some of you are trying really hard to make it into more than it was.
Reading for comprehension isn't your thing, is it?

Interesting that you put it in terms of sensitivity. I would put it in terms of utility, respect, and virtue.

It wasn't coaching, was it? Taking shots at your own players has no utility.

It wasn't respectful. I thought Fleck believed in Respect.

It doesn't demonstrate forbearance, kindness, patience, or self-control. There's no virtue in taking shots at your players.

What it looks like is an exasperated coach venting at a player. To what possible purpose except embarrass him?

I doubt that Fleck or anyone in his household reads this board, but I hope I'm wrong. I hope he knows that his Forget About Me I Love You BS is wearing thin. In this instance it's so thin it's transparent.
How patient is it to assume he meant to be insulting towards a particular player with his choice of words? The patient response and the one with forebearance is give him the benefit of the doubt that he is not deliberately calling him out with vague words.

I have heard that spaniels are not good around kids. Is that true? I steer wide of them.

In retrospect he probably should have left that last bit off

Yep!

Hopefully he has a heart to heart with Tyler and apologizes as one man to another for the unnecessary comment, while also challenging to look within himself and doing whatever it takes to fix this and contribute to this team. Because he surely can.

Worst of it all would be if he did quit and thus his last plays of football ever were fumbling and then negating a nice pass play by touching knee to ground. Would be better to stick it out and go out on a high note

“The ball is the program.” This is one of Fleck’s bedrocks. No one can be surprised at the consequences. The ratio of turnovers/gaffes to touches/opportunities is notable.
After seven years now we all know that “The ball is the program” does not apply to certain people.

How patient is it to assume he meant to be insulting towards a particular player with his choice of words? The patient response and the one with forebearance is give him the benefit of the doubt that he is not deliberately calling him out with vague words.
I won't be patient with a coach who publicly rubs his player's face in his failure. And Fleck's comment, though brief, was anything but vague.

When I start advertising my virtuousness and spouting Forget About Me I Love You to show how great I am, then start holding me to an elevated standard.

These guys are essentially pro athletes now. If they can't handle the coach stating a fact about actual performance, they are in the wrong business.

I'm over myself. I just have a hard time getting over Fleck's hypocrisy. He couldn't find it in himself to praise one guy without taking a shot at another guy. It reveals something that we alreayd know: he isn't the man he pretends to be.

Don't be a moron.
How did you feel about Kill's golden loafer t-shirts? I know you're a big Kill fan (as was I).

Agree completely. I coached a different sport, but the principle is the same.

You have to recognize as a coach that some athletes aren't going to succeed, whether it's physical ability, drive, disposition, or whatever.

One thing that a lot of fans and a few coaches need to learn is that Tyler didn't wake up Saturday morning and say to himself, "I think I'll fumble today. Hurting my team would be fun." He wanted to succeed, as they all do. Personal failure is painful enough without the coach taking shots at him on the record.
The issue I have with this take is that it's not the first time Tyler has fumbled. He's got a bad case of fumblitis and Fleck has consistently given him opportunities to correct the behavior. He hasn't fixed it and he's worn Fleck's trust thin. It's a two way relationship where both parties are giving, it's just that Fleck is giving Tyler additional chances without a net positive and Tyler is giving the ball to the ground or the other team repeatedly.

Fleck's take will either fire Tyler up to change for the better or he won't change a damn thing. It's worth a shot to me, as whatever has been going on behind closed doors in the locker room hasn't worked yet and we're through 2/3 of the season.

Interesting Fleck would do this but hasn't called out special teams ever. He's had 100 chances.

He has. He's made direct references to how they need to make the right decisions on whether or not to try and catch a kick or when to let it go. Also how they need to know where they are on the field when trying to catch the ball. He's also directly said how they need to "hang onto the ball" when catching punts.

The issue I have with this take is that it's not the first time Tyler has fumbled. He's got a bad case of fumblitis and Fleck has consistently given him opportunities to correct the behavior. He hasn't fixed it and he's worn Fleck's trust thin. It's a two way relationship where both parties are giving, it's just that Fleck is giving Tyler additional chances without a net positive and Tyler is giving the ball to the ground or the other team repeatedly.

Fleck's take will either fire Tyler up to change for the better or he won't change a damn thing. It's worth a shot to me, as whatever has been going on behind closed doors in the locker room hasn't worked yet and we're through 2/3 of the season.
I will never understand why some rbs fumble more. And even more perplexing is Tyler was not a fumbler at WMU. Why all of a sudden?

Didn't Adrian Peterson have one awful year for fumbles and then kind of figured it out after that?

I still hold out hope for Tyler to figure it out this year.

Agreed. Also guessing that he has discussed this with Tyler many times. Bet he told him that when given the opportunity if he hangs onto the ball there could be a lot of good that comes out of it.

Think that's what the very limited comment was all about. Certainly didn't warrant the headline of this thread.

I will never understand why some rbs fumble more. And even more perplexing is Tyler was not a fumbler at WMU. Why all of a sudden?

Didn't Adrian Peterson have on awful year for fumbles and then kind of figured it out after that?

I still hold out hope for Tyler to figure it out this year.
I think once a guy fumbles the opposing team knows and there’s blood in the water… once a dude stops and is making yards maybe defense starts diving at legs more and etc.

Well, we had a previous player named Tyler as well who could be counted on to drop his first potential catch, plus other critical throws. He went on to Gopher greatness (at least) but it ended up being a football trait that he did not shake.

Top Bottom