Fleck Post Game - Wow Was This A Shot.

GridironGus

Reaction score
Rightfully so, P.J. was going on and on about how Jo Jo Nubin took advantage of his opportunity. Referring to the opportunity "When you get it, what are you going to do with it? Do you run for 204 or do you run for 2?"

Nubin ran for 204. Sean Tyler ran for 2. Is he trying to motivate Tyler? I hope Tyler takes it the right way. The thin running back room still might need him.

Video Link

I think Fleck is pretty disgusted and frustrated with Tyler. Probably feels like he (Fleck) gave him (Tyler) a huge shot to jump up from a WMU program that Fleck probably still feels very positively for and give him a chance to elevate himself, and he has really S the bed with his turnovers.

Pass play was huge, but his knee went down.

Still, unfortunate to call him out like that. Tyler has no eligibility left to transfer out, so this is his final ride at playing football. Still, with the writing on the wall, to get called out like that? You could choose to give Fleck the middle finger and hang em up.

Rightfully so, P.J. was going on and on about how Jo Jo Nubin took advantage of his opportunity. Referring to the opportunity "When you get it, what are you going to do with it? Do you run for 204 or do you run for 2?"

Nubin ran for 204. Sean Tyler ran for 2. Is he trying to motivate Tyler? I hope Tyler takes it the right way. The thin running back room still might need him.

Video Link
Good - some guys need a pat on the back, while others need a foot up the keister.

Last edited:

Video Link
Tell me about the recent use of "room" to describe football positions. Is it literally true that each group has a room in the training facility? I'm an old-timer and am curious about new terms popping up in sports lingo. Respectfully.

Tell me about the recent use of "room" to describe football positions. Is it literally true that each group has a room in the training facility? I'm an old-timer and am curious about new terms popping up in sports lingo. Respectfully.
Yes, each position group literally has their own room at the football facility where they gameplan, go over film, etc. There is also a team-sized room for this same purpose where the entire team can meet.

I'm an old guy too! I guess I used the term subconsciously because I hear it so often. :LOL:

Tyl

Video Link
Tyler should not be in the team. His talent is miac level. It was a horrible pick up by fleck. Wasted ship.

“The ball is the program.” This is one of Fleck’s bedrocks. No one can be surprised at the consequences. The ratio of turnovers/gaffes to touches/opportunities is notable.
I was surprised actually to see Sean in the game for I think at least 2 maybe 3 more plays over the remaining course of the game. So there's still a little crack in Coach's concrete participation barrier to RBs that fumble.

BTW, I think it's been mentioned elsewhere that Nubin can block too. That should grade high for him too for this game.

I was surprised actually to see Sean in the game for I think at least 2 maybe 3 more plays over the remaining course of the game. So there's still a little crack in Coach's concrete participation barrier to RBs that fumble.

BTW, I think it's been mentioned elsewhere that Nubin can block too. That should grade high for him too for this game.
Early in the season, when Williams was out for a game (before Wiliams was out for the year), Nubin got the call as the passing situation/blocking back.

He's also the qb. INTs are going to happen. And apparently he's our only QB so what would be the point.
What would be the point of publicly humiliating our players? I don't know. What would ever be the point?

I think Fleck is pretty disgusted and frustrated with Tyler. Probably feels like he (Fleck) gave him (Tyler) a huge shot to jump up from a WMU program that Fleck probably still feels very positively for and give him a chance to elevate himself, and he has really S the bed with his turnovers.

Pass play was huge, but his knee went down.

Still, unfortunate to call him out like that. Tyler has no eligibility left to transfer out, so this is his final ride at playing football. Still, with the writing on the wall, to get called out like that? You could choose to give Fleck the middle finger and hang em up.
Football players don’t hang it up mid season when they are legitimately criticized. They work harder. Don’t recall Jordan Nubin quitting after three years of hard work and two good Spring game showings.

Hard to think of anyone in Fleck’s run given more chances than Tyler.

Video Link
I think you are parsing words looking for some kind of dig. I'm sure he's disappointed, but a good leader will criticize in private. Historically PJ has not used passive aggressive tactics on his own players and definitely not in public. Good way to lose the team if the coach is willing to skewer his own players.

New sports terms are garbage. People who use them are wannabes.

Tyl

Tyler should not be in the team. His talent is miac level. It was a horrible pick up by fleck. Wasted ship.
Coaches made several mistakes in portal evaluation this time around. Crooms and Collins are good. Jones worthwhile. Spencer and Tyler miscues. Not sure about Selig. He has not been good but playing with some injuries.

Kaliakmanis turns the ball over. I don't see Fleck trying to humiliate him.
The QB position by nature/definition commits more TOs. There are, as we’ve seen, 4-5 options for the RB position. Apples and oranges. That said, AK will need to continue his upward trajectory in the remaining 4-to possibly up to- 6 games remaining.

Coaches made several mistakes in portal evaluation this time around. Crooms and Collins are good. Jones worthwhile. Spencer and Tyler miscues. Not sure about Selig. He has not been good but playing with some injuries.
Tyler has about as many fumbles with us as he had in 3 years combined at WMU. I don't really get it.

Henderson has also been really good. Spencer and Tyler have been disappointments for sure.

Tyler is a fumbler. If he wants to change that perception then he needs to quit fumbling. He's been given ample opportunities to change that perception but it keeps happening.

I think you are parsing words looking for some kind of dig. I'm sure he's disappointed, but a good leader will criticize in private. Historically PJ has not used passive aggressive tactics on his own players and definitely not in public. Good way to lose the team if the coach is willing to skewer his own players.
Right, let’s have a safe room for offended children. Don’t want to lose the team.

Henderson has also been really good. Spencer and Tyler have been disappointments for sure.
I certainly should have mentioned Henderson. He may in fact be the most impactful transfer.

I have seen Selig in position and finish.

Yeah, I didn't take it as a public criticism of Tyler. It sounded to me like he was saying Nubin could have used the opportunity to shine or fall flat. Thankfully, he shined last night!

I didn't see it as public humiliation but everyone has their own sensitivity level to those types of things.
Interesting that you put it in terms of sensitivity. I would put it in terms of utility, respect, and virtue.

It wasn't coaching, was it? Taking shots at your own players has no utility.

It wasn't respectful. I thought Fleck believed in Respect.

It doesn't demonstrate forbearance, kindness, patience, or self-control. There's no virtue in taking shots at your players.

What it looks like is an exasperated coach venting at a player. To what possible purpose except embarrass him?

I doubt that Fleck or anyone in his household reads this board, but I hope I'm wrong. I hope he knows that his Forget About Me I Love You BS is wearing thin. In this instance it's so thin it's transparent.

Last edited:

Video Link
With all due respect you are putting the focus on the wrong thing with this video clip. Yes there was a thinly veiled shot at Tyler at the end but the focus of this clip should be on celebrating a player who has put in the work, been a great team player, waited for his opportunity, and then made the most of it when he got it.

If Tyler gets offended by the comment that is on him. He has been given multiple opportunities and literally fumbled them all away. He can pout or he can get to work figuring out why the heck he can't hang onto the ball and fixing it.

He may well get another opportunity at some point and if he does all we can do is hope he figures things out and is able to take advantage of it.

Congrats to Nubin for stepping up when the team desperately needed him too.

Top Bottom