Fleck now 22-20 vs Power 5 Teams

I rewatched the Maryland/Iowa game the following week and they are undisciplined and even had a few "unsportsmanlike penalties". They have athletes, but little organization. Couple that with losing two more starters to injury and yesterday's outcome was expected.

Next question?
So you predicted a Minnesota victory?

Minnesota impressed me
Bingo.

Why is it that we always say "good teams dominate the bad teams" as a knock on the Gophers when they play close to a team "beneath" them and then when they do dominate a "bad" team (one people seemed worried about just a couple of days ago) we still discount it because said team was bad. Why do half the fans in this state have to denigrate everything?

And it isn't just the Gophers, they do it with all the teams. If a team stinks for a couple years but is starting to look good then the fans yell "call me when you make the playoffs". Then the team makes the playoffs and the same fans yell "call me when they win a game/series". Then they do and it is "call me when they make the conference championship" and then they do and it is "well we won't win the title so none of it matters anyways". Minnesota fans have zero idea or want to actually enjoy anything they always have to find a way to make it be worse than it actually is.

Against Maryland? Look at the predictions thread. I think I said two touchdown margin.

I'm sticking with my 8-4 season guess.
I don't read the prediction thread hence why I asked. (and thank you for answering)

Is an 8 win season bad?

I don't read the prediction thread hence why I asked. (and thank you for answering)

Is an 8 win season bad?
If you look at Fleck's comments this summer, 8 would be a slight underachievement, imo. The fans on Gopherhole pretty much predicted 9-3 as the "floor".

As is the case every year, certain teams get more hype than they deserve. Indiana is much worse, MSU is better. Mo's injury was a big loss. Maybe not against the Marylands and Nebraskas of the world, but it might show against Iowa and Wisky.

The title of this forum is about the glory days. I bet 90% of the people that post here weren't alive in 1960. So we hang our hopes on whomever the next HC in football is. Fleck is just the latest. hire.

I do think with his self promotion, he will be around for longer than most. Coyle has hung his hat on the football program, so PJ likely has a longer leash.

I guess 18-20 doesn't scream "elite" to me. We must have different standards?

That's ok, though, beat Wisky AND Iowa and my opinion will change.
For some context:
Claeys 8-8 vs P5
Kill 15-27 vs P5
Claeys and Kill combined (23-35)

Horton 2-3 vs P5
Brewster 7-25 vs P5
Horton and Brewster combined (9-28)

Mason
35-53 vs P5

I guess 18-20 doesn't scream "elite" to me. We must have different standards?

That's ok, though, beat Wisky AND Iowa and my opinion will change.
I do not think anyone thinks 18-20 screams elite. Hell,15-4 is not elite. For this program 18-20 is not a bad start. I like what i see. Now beat Iowa and UW.

If you look at Fleck's comments this summer, 8 would be a slight underachievement, imo. The fans on Gopherhole pretty much predicted 9-3 as the "floor".

As is the case every year, certain teams get more hype than they deserve. Indiana is much worse, MSU is better. Mo's injury was a big loss. Maybe not against the Marylands and Nebraskas of the world, but it might show against Iowa and Wisky.

The title of this forum is about the glory days. I bet 90% of the people that post here weren't alive in 1960. So we hang our hopes on whomever the next HC in football is. Fleck is just the latest. hire.

I do think with his self promotion, he will be around for longer than most. Coyle has hung his hat on the football program, so PJ likely has a longer leash.
Why that Bowing Green game still hurts

I do not think anyone thinks 18-20 screams elite. Hell,15-4 is not elite. For this program 18-20 is not a bad start. I like what i see. Now beat Iowa and UW.

Semantics maybe, but - outside of a handful - it is very hard to find a program that wouldn't consider a 15-4 stretch elite or pretty dang close to it.

I think for Gophers fans we need to take it into context.

1. In the last 50 years, we've never been this competitive.
2. In the last 50 years, our program has not had such upside as we're realizing right now.
3. There is still this sense of optimism with this program that there is more upside potential beyond this year with this coaching staff.

Enjoy the journey.

When we talk to our grandkids about the "Good ol' Days" we will probably be talking about the decade we are in the midst of.

Semantics maybe, but - outside of a handful - it is very hard to find a program that wouldn't consider a 15-4 stretch elite or pretty dang close to it.
15-4 is awesome. But, most of the wins were games we "should have won". The obvious, and amazing, outlier (sorry, but so far that is the correct word, for now) being the Penn St game.

Outlier loss being the Bowling Green game. Willing to dismiss that one. Competitive loss to Ohio State. Not at all a problem for me.

It's Iowa and Wisconsin, like it has been. That's the next step, if we can take it.

Is an 8 win season bad?
Shouldn't be, especially factoring loss of mo and Potts.

Some on here would be pissed.

0-2 vs wi/ia would be maddening

I think for Gophers fans we need to take it into context.

1. In the last 50 years, we've never been this competitive.
2. In the last 50 years, our program has not had such upside as we're realizing right now.
3. There is still this sense of optimism with this program that there is more upside potential beyond this year with this coaching staff.

Enjoy the journey.

When we talk to our grandkids about the "Good ol' Days" we will probably be talking about the decade we are in the midst of.
Haven’t finished ranked twice in 3 years since 61, 62, 63

Have a chance to do it. Win the three you’re going to be favored in and one more (including bowl).

Goal is to be 20-20 in the B1G headed into Iowa game.
100% … those two are hard to win. You can see Iowa but it’s so easy to overlook the ones you are supposed to win before them. Go Gophers!

100% … those two are hard to win. You can see Iowa but it’s so easy to overlook the ones you are supposed to win before them. Go Gophers!
It doesn’t matter if we overlook them

I was born in 1947. However, those days were celebrations for those who loved football…loved and appreciated Big Ten football…and appreciated just how special it was to be able to root for and love the fact that your home state was a part of Big Ten land.

There was not a lot of hype. There really wasn’t much of a tv slate of games. As a kid I listened to Gopher games on the radio.
Does that sound boring? Suppose so. But, it was magical to a kid who loved Gopher football. I almost feel kind of sorry for someone who didn’t get a chance to experience the wonder of literally being at the game via the play calling and excitement relayed and conveyed over the radio air waves. A different time. A different era. A simpler dimension of football fandom that has never really been forgotten by this once upon a time kid now turned into an almost 75 year old Gopher football fan. I guess compared to all the hype now, it wasn’t so much. Yet, it is a memory I always cherish and wouldn’t trade for anything.

I hope Coach Fleck sticks around for a long time. He is a sound football coach. I didn’t think much of his approach that first year though. However, I am seeing the culture thing through different eyes today. I love, cherish and value Big Ten wins above all other wins. Three Big Ten wins in succession as we have just witnessed after the loss of an All-American running back is glory time for me. This offensive line is in the TOP five of BT offensive weapons in this 2021 season! Enjoy it Gopher fans.

Since the BG loss, Coach Fleck and his players and staff have done Big Ten, big time adjustments, righting the course of the ship and are putting a great level of football on the field. I do believe that it is one of the best efforts of the past 50 seasons. I anxiously await November…when BT conference division titles are earned and won. And Minnesota IS as physical as Iowa and Wisconsin this year for what it’s worth. I think that is VERY good!

Last edited:

I feel as if there are two separate arguments/issues here.

On the first - is Fleck an improvement over recent coaches? On that, the numbers -w/l and recruiting - all seem to indicate that Yes, Fleck is an improvement.

But - I feel the real question is how much of an improvement.

When Fleck was hired, a lot of people expressed optimism that Fleck could take the program to "the next level." Just posting a winning record and making to a Bowl Game was seen as the floor, not as the ceiling.

And - I would say - as of yet, Fleck has not reached "the next level," - at least when it comes to winning a division Championship or even a B1G championship.

Mason had some good teams, Kill/Claeys had some good teams - but they didn't win division titles or a conference championship. That is "the next level." Will Fleck get there? that remains to be seen. And - if he gets there once, is it sustainable or repeatable? that, only time will tell.

to be clear - I am NOT saying Fleck isn't a good coach. I am saying that, at this point, the jury is still out on whether he can take the program to "the next level" - assuming that "the next level" is an attainable goal for the program.

On the first - is Fleck an improvement over recent coaches? On that, the numbers -w/l and recruiting - all seem to indicate that Yes, Fleck is an improvement.

When Fleck was hired, a lot of people expressed optimism that Fleck could take the program to "the next level." Just posting a winning record and making to a Bowl Game was seen as the floor, not as the ceiling.

And - I would say - as of yet, Fleck has not reached "the next level," - at least when it comes to winning a division Championship or even a B1G championship.

Mason had some good teams, Kill/Claeys had some good teams - but they didn't win division titles or a conference championship. That is "the next level." Will Fleck get there? that remains to be seen. And - if he gets there once, is it sustainable or repeatable? that, only time will tell.

to be clear - I am NOT saying Fleck isn't a good coach. I am saying that, at this point, the jury is still out on whether he can take the program to "the next level" - assuming that "the next level" is an attainable goal for the program.
On the discussion of next level. I think (without numbers to back it up, just a feeling), yes this program is on the upswing. This program has gone from garbage to decent to garbage to decent a few times. It will take a long time to change that overall concept without someone like Saban. I feel very strongly Fleck (along with the contribution with the previous staff) that Minnesota will be a consistently formidable team moving forward. Win the West this year will be a massive step.

The fans on gopher hole predicted 9-3 as the floor? No one thought 9 wins was the floor. The Vegas o/u win total was 7.

The fans on gopher hole predicted 9-3 as the floor? No one thought 9 wins was the floor. The Vegas o/u win total was 7.
Vegas is a dink. Just joking - had to throw the "dink" word in there somewhere.

I think this program hit the next level..... around 2019.
That was a level I hadn't seen in my lifetime.
Co-West Division Champs?

If that wasn't hitting another level I don't know what is.

Otherwise, the other level we hadn't hit was just beating WI. We did that in 2018.
Not only had we not done it for 14 years with 3-4 other coaches. Just winning that game one time was next level compared to what we had dealt with for the last 10-14 years.

I'd like to see more, but we've already hit next level.

I’m not complaining at all. We’ve been on a good streak. Just find it humorous when stats get sliced and diced to fit what you want it to. There were some on here trying to throw out the 2019 season (as an outlier, and arguing you shouldn’t count it) in a lame attempt at disparaging PJ’s overall record. But 2020 happened, and it counts. We weren’t the only ones dealing with COVID.
We weren't the only ones dealing with COVID, but were all teams proportionately impacted? It seems to me we were hit harder than most, but I have no hard evidence to back that up.

We weren't the only ones dealing with COVID, but were all teams proportionately impacted? It seems to me we were hit harder than most, but I have no hard evidence to back that up.
hard to say, but we also were dealing with a new OC and shortened practice schedule, losing 7 starters on defense (RIP Veritas) and obviously struggled to replace those players.

If our defense had been been average or even just below average instead of awful, we probably have 2 more wins last year

G5 football would be a lot more fun if they all just merged to have a promotion/relegation system rather than constantly realigning in the hope of working their way up to a P5 invite.

Top Bottom