Fleck now 22-20 vs Power 5 Teams

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
For being in year 5, that's pretty impressive.
Mason finished 37-52.

Fleck could literally continue with a Scott Frost 15-25 and he'd be at 37-45.

Fleck's average margin of victory in those 22 games is 19.045
His average margin of loss in his 20 losses is 17.05

Of the 42 games, only 6 were decided by 6 points or less. (2-4 record)
He is 7-2 in games decided by exactly 7 points.

26 of the games had a winning margin of 14 or greater. (13-13)

Goal is to be 20-20 in the B1G headed into Iowa game.

He is still 18-8 since Rossi took over. Nothing to sneeze at.
I’m not complaining at all. We’ve been on a good streak. Just find it humorous when stats get sliced and diced to fit what you want it to. There were some on here trying to throw out the 2019 season (as an outlier, and arguing you shouldn’t count it) in a lame attempt at disparaging PJ’s overall record. But 2020 happened, and it counts. We weren’t the only ones dealing with COVID.

Boomtime still posting here. Wow. I gotta give you props, man. That takes guts.

Fleck is close to being a 60% winner and has generally had tougher non-con games than Mason. You have to go back to Bierman to find a coach with a better record - something like 71% and against very tough opposition. A lot of us overreacted to the last four and a half minutes of the first half, but it was only four and a half minutes.

Look at the previous coaches 38 big 10 games in.

Kill didn't get to 38 Big Ten Games.
He went 14-24 with Claeys.

Kill and Claeys last 38 games wwere 18-20.
Overall Kill and Claeys finished 20-29 in Big Ten Games.

Mason was 32-48 overall in Big Ten. He started 13-25 in his first 38 Big Ten games.

Fleck is 9-1 against non-Power Five Teams 5 years in.

Mason was 10-5 in his first 5 years against non-Power Five. Finished 27-5 overall.
Kill was 14-2 against non-Power 5 in his first 5 years.

Boomtime still posting here. Wow. I gotta give you props, man. That takes guts.
Bring a troll is easy, doesn't take guts at all. He and GophaGangsta have a good lock on the board troll routine, but Boomtime will hang around a bit longer and pretend he is really a fan while Gansta tends to show up in the in game thread and then vanish if he doesn't get the result he was hoping for and the Gophers end up winning.

I am happy for today's win. Just putting things in perspective.

Maryland is not a good team.
BS, you are attempting to play both sides of the fence but your agenda is transparent.

You are right though, Maryland is not a good team, and we did to them exactly what you are supposed to do when you face average to below average teams, we kicked the crap out of them.

But thanks for keeping things in perspective. Keep those fingers crossed for more Gopher wins and don't worry, we know you will be right there to provide a ton of perspective for us all if the team should happen to drop a game here at some point.

Bring a troll is easy, doesn't take guts at all. He and GophaGangsta have a good lock on the board troll routine, but Boomtime will hang around a bit longer and pretend he is really a fan while Gansta tends to show up in the in game thread and then vanish if he doesn't get the result he was hoping for and the Gophers end up winning.
Speaking of the Gangsta- saw he got banned- what did he finally do that was more inane than his usual Schtick?

Ahh...yeah...you need to count them all.
Sure you do. But I said at start of 2020 I wasn't going to judge Fleck based on that year. The entire off-season was in flux, having so many opt out then opt back in, then opt out again. When you spend years trying to build your team a certain way and it all gets blown up in a way you can't control then I definitely factor that in when I assess his performance.

Were they a good team before we played them? I remember when Nebraska was supposed to be good and then we beat them so they sucked...

Yep. Same with Colorado. GopherHole Whiplash Syndrome.

Purdue was different, though. The Boilers were really good, then we beat them — but of course we only beat them because of the weather. Then Purdue beat Iowa at Kinnick, and we simply forgot that the Gophers had beaten Purdue on their own field.

We'll never forget Bowling Green, though.

Were they a good team before we played them? I remember when Nebraska was supposed to be good and then we beat them so they sucked...
I rewatched the Maryland/Iowa game the following week and they are undisciplined and even had a few "unsportsmanlike penalties". They have athletes, but little organization. Couple that with losing two more starters to injury and yesterday's outcome was expected.

Next question?

BS, you are attempting to play both sides of the fence but your agenda is transparent.

You are right though, Maryland is not a good team, and we did to them exactly what you are supposed to do when you face average to below average teams, we kicked the crap out of them.

But thanks for keeping things in perspective. Keep those fingers crossed for more Gopher wins and don't worry, we know you will be right there to provide a ton of perspective for us all if the team should happen to drop a game here at some point.
I guess 18-20 doesn't scream "elite" to me. We must have different standards?

That's ok, though, beat Wisky AND Iowa and my opinion will change.

Top Bottom