Fleck likely to bring most of offensive staff to MN

Golden_Sloth

Reaction score
Per Justin Conzemius on KFAN this morning. Hadn't seen this mentioned or discussed anywhere else.

Interesting that the word offensive was used.

Calling Jay Sawvel...

Interesting that the word offensive was used.

Calling Jay Sawvel...

Yep, impression was that he will be assembling a new defensive staff. Sawvel doesn't seem likely, but hopefully he will keep Sherels.

Yep, impression was that he will be assembling a new defensive staff. Sawvel doesn't seem likely, but hopefully he will keep Sherels.

If it wasn't for the weird political stuff, Sawvel makes total sense. They run similar defenses, they've worked together, he's available, he knows our current recruits.

I personally would love to see him keep Sawvel.

I don't think it's possible to reconcile how this has all played out and keeping Sawvel. I was glad to hear that Fleck will find a role for Sherels.

If it wasn't for the weird political stuff, Sawvel makes total sense. They run similar defenses, they've worked together, he's available, he knows our current recruits.

I agree it would be a great fit and I would be thrilled to get him back. Just don't think the U will allow it.

Perfect bring his offense and keep Minnesota defense staff. So we will probably go back to the mason days on defense. Yuck

Perfect bring his offense and keep Minnesota defense staff. So we will probably go back to the mason days on defense. Yuck

Believe it or not, there is a middle ground between 2015-2016 Gopher defense and Mason Gopher defense.

I don't think it's possible to reconcile how this has all played out and keeping Sawvel. I was glad to hear that Fleck will find a role for Sherels.

Just wondering what the difference between Sawvel and Sherels is? Sawvel tweeted, but Sherels stood just to the side of Wolitarsky when he gave the statement.

If Sawvel stays, he has to be 100% on board with Fleck and his approach. From what WMU fans have posted, PJ doesn't have a desire to have anyone that's not completely on board with the cause and the culture in the room and won't hesitate to cull the people that aren't.

I do think he'd be great from an X's and O's standpoint, he's one of the best DCs out there IMO.

If Sawvel stays, he has to be 100% on board with Fleck and his approach. From what WMU fans have posted, PJ doesn't have a desire to have anyone that's not completely on board with the cause and the culture in the room and won't hesitate to cull the people that aren't.

I do think he'd be great from an X's and O's standpoint, he's one of the best DCs out there IMO.
Not sure "cull" is the proper term. I'm thinking more like "toss them over board". [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Just wondering what the difference between Sawvel and Sherels is? Sawvel tweeted, but Sherels stood just to the side of Wolitarsky when he gave the statement.

Sawvel was the DC and most of the guys involved play defense plus you have the comments he made. I would love to see Sawvel stay because I think he is a heck of a coach but I just don't see how it happens. On the flip side with Sherels you have a Minnesota guy to the core and given his background and health issues it would not surprise me to see Fleck find a way to keep him around as a sign of good will and a way to help establish relationships with the local high school coaches. It may not be as a position coach but I would think they could find a role for him on the staff and I would think he would be inclined to take it as this is where his family is as opposed to chasing coaching jobs somewhere else.

Coyle retained Sherels primarily I think because of his ties to the U and his health issues. Key being Coyle kept him.

Another thought: Sherels was a private, Sawvel a leader.

I'd be glad to have Sawvel back, but you can't hold a press conference saying the culture was rotten and broken then bring back a leader I. That culture. That would be hard for Coyle to do effectively without undermining himself, and he's a political animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we're gonna make a change and make a break away from the mess that was the incident.... I'd rather make a clean break.

Exceptions being Sherels and maybe Obrien.

If we're gonna make a change and make a break away from the mess that was the incident.... I'd rather make a clean break.

Exceptions being Sherels and maybe Obrien.

I agree...and hopefully the regents take care of Kaler in May and the new PResident dumps Coyle so he can get his guy.

You guys are nuts. Sawvel being retained would be a home run. He did nothing wrong. As a DC, he isn't responsible for the culture, that's set at the top. He's an outstanding coach, and innovative. It would be absolutely idiotic to hire Fleck and not let him pick his staff.

This coaching change is NOT about the tweet, or the scandal, or any of that, this is about winning, ticket sales, and the direction of the program, that stuff was just the justification.

Sawvel said they felt like they were hit with tidal waves, they were. He said we don't have bad kids. He supported his players who were wrongfully accused. He disliked the process involved. That's it. And he's 100% right.

I agree. I think Sawvel should be ratained as well. You put a better offense on the field who knows what our end result was this year? We had Penn State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska all beat on the road. Iowa we never showed up to.

I agree too. Would love to see it.

You guys are nuts. Sawvel being retained would be a home run. He did nothing wrong. As a DC, he isn't responsible for the culture, that's set at the top. He's an outstanding coach, and innovative. It would be absolutely idiotic to hire Fleck and not let him pick his staff.

This coaching change is NOT about the tweet, or the scandal, or any of that, this is about winning, ticket sales, and the direction of the program, that stuff was just the justification.

Sawvel said they felt like they were hit with tidal waves, they were. He said we don't have bad kids. He supported his players who were wrongfully accused. He disliked the process involved. That's it. And he's 100% right.

I agree. I think Sawvel should be ratained as well. You put a better offense on the field who knows what our end result was this year? We had Penn State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska all beat on the road. Iowa we never showed up to.

All I know is that it's past mid-morning and we don't have a single commitment yet today. This sucks. I want him gone.

Can Fleck hire back Sawvel whom Coyle already fired?

I agree...and hopefully the regents take care of Kaler in May and the new PResident dumps Coyle so he can get his guy.
Yes, let's dump the guy that just brought in the hottest coaching prospect in the country. Kaler and Coyle acted in the best interest of the University and protected the institution from further harm. Football serves the University, not the other way around.

This kind of reminds me of Tubby Smith and Jimmy Williams. Assuming Fleck would want him, hopefully Sawvel would have a better chance.

Yes, let's dump the guy that just brought in the hottest coaching prospect in the country. Kaler and Coyle acted in the best interest of the University and protected the institution from further harm. Football serves the University, not the other way around.

Coyle acted in the interest of saving his and Eric Kaler's butts. Period. The two are as culpable, if not more so since they were In charge and had more information.

Claeys won 9 games but was fired because of all that surrounded how this went down. And that's how it should have gone down.

Coyle made a good hire in Fleck, but like an impressive bowl win it should not cover for months of failed leadership.

It is the embodiment of what Coyle says he wants to change.

Question on this. Do we have to buy out their contracts since they were under contract with wmich or do those end when he left?

#coacheslivesmatter

Question on this. Do we have to buy out their contracts since they were under contract with wmich or do those end when he left?

#coacheslivesmatter

I doubt WMU had much if any of a buyout going that direction for their assistants.

All evidence and opinions to the contrary. The good news is neither you nor I make that decision..the Regents will decide once the lawsuits are over and the depositions are done and chips have all fallen.

In my opinion, it could have and should have been handled much better than it was and that falls at Coyles and Kaler's feet.

But I digress...time to move on and let people do their jobs.

Top Bottom