Fleck has become worse than Kill

W/L is the bottom line for me and many others out here. Especially after 7-8 years. A one to three win conference record (4-8, 5-7) would be pretty unacceptable, and hard to say that is building something.
Depends.
What if Athan gets hurt and we are starting Knuth

Team starts 2-6 but then finishes 3-1 with a close loss to Ohio state as the 1.

Not a likely scenario but you have to look at circumstance as well as growth as well as record

a lot of talk about next year.

But - in the portal and NIL era, it's next to impossible to say today what any team will look like next year.

Who do they lose in the portal? Who do they gain in the portal? What players can they attract with NIL? What players do they lose to other teams because of NIL?

any team in the B1G could potentially look a lot different next year.

as of right now, on offense, the Gophers will lose Morgan at QB, Mo at RB, the starting C, both starting OG's.

on defense: Nubin, Howden, Smith, Rush, MSM.

that's five starters each way. (who went through Senior Day)

What great coach do you know that had 8 opportunities to figure out an opponent, who is not a Ohio State caliber team not be able to beat them at least once?

Lots of stupid in this thread and a couple other threads as well. Fans are kings of knee jerk reactions. We lose to Iowa and the idiots come out of the woodwork. If Mo doesn’t fumble we win. If Mo plays against Purdue, make a chip shot field goal, and don’t drop a TD pass we win that game. Those unfortunate plays doesn’t make Fleck a worse coach. The line between winning and losing can be razor thin. Our program is in the best hands it’s been in under Fleck in literally decades.

Let’s enjoy having a good coach who wins, goes to bowl games, and produces good student athletes we can be proud of. Anyone calling for his firing or who even suggests his seat should be heating up are clueless.

Now let’s go to Madison and kick our biggest rival’s ass. Meet me and my group at The Red Shed Friday at 3pm and we’ll go from there. 😉

Is Ciarrocca worse than Limegrover?
1669397863335.jpeg

FWIW: on this week's episode of the "Pair and a Spare" podcast, there was a fairly heated discussion
on the direction of the Gopher football program.

Chip Scoggins and Ryan Burns were quite forceful in stating that the Gophers have to make changes in their offensive philosophy and approach to games if they want to be a top team in the conference. Justin Gaard was - depending on your point of view - saying that things weren't that bad, or trying to defend Fleck, but he also admitted that the Gophers had room to improve.

and yes, Ryan Burns had a few things to say about special teams.

worth a listen. I thought it was entertaining. listened to it while taking a walk Thanksgiving morning in my home town.

Interestingly only 2 D1 schools(as today) don’t have a NIL program. If you guessed Colorado and Northwestern, you win the award.

W/L is the bottom line for me and many others out here. Especially after 7-8 years. A one to three win conference record (4-8, 5-7) would be pretty unacceptable, and hard to say that is building something.
I agree on wins and losses being what counts. I can live with a 5 or 6 win every 4 years it’s it’s rebuilding and we’ve had multiple 9-10 win seasons in between

But that's the whole point of the discussion. Mason, Kill and Claeys all had 8 or 9-win seasons and went to mid-level bowl games. But there were a lot of fans - including many posting on this board, who said that "wasn't good enough." Fleck was brought in here to "take the program to the next level."

He was supposed to be the guy who would recruit better players and have the Gophers contending for Division titles or Conference championships.

in six years, Fleck has had the one big year in 2019. Everything else has been on the same level as Mason, Kill and Claeys.

and now, we're hearing that, "well, this is as good as the Gophers can be." that is not what a lot of people were saying 6 years ago.
He’s had a better top year and better down years than both

Interestingly only 2 D1 schools(as today) don’t have a NIL program. If you guessed Colorado and Northwestern, you win the award.
Do you have a reference for this? Does it refer to official university-affiliated/university-managed NIL programs?

I agree on wins and losses being what counts. I can live with a 5 or 6 win every 4 years it’s it’s rebuilding and we’ve had multiple 9-10 win seasons in between
Five wins means most likely only two conference wins. At this point the absolute floor should be four conference wins in a down year.

Five wins means most likely only two conference wins. At this point the absolute floor should be four conference wins in a down year.
I guess we can disagree where the program is. 6 wins could also mean 4 conference wins.

Five could also be 3 conference wins depending on pre season. Point taken
There is no preseason. Two non conference losses would be pretty disappointing in a then very disappointing five win season.

What a terrible season. Chicken shit Fleck. Hopefully next year will be better. If it’s like this year I’m out. Got better things to do with my like.
I'm with you but I see a big drop off on both sides of the ball next year and..they play N. Carolina AND Michigan next year...going to be ugly!!

Isn't it, though?

After NMSU went 4-20 in the last two full seasons and started 0-4 this year, they finished this season 5-2. Since Kill's name was referenced in the subject of this thread, a little context is a good thing.

But remember, Kill doesn’t get credit for wins until like year five, because he is using the last coaches players. At least that’s how many on this board seem to evaluate coaches.
Playing with last years players for sure lol

Top Bottom