Fleck Effect

It’s dumb that people fear the coach just leaving. It has only happened with Holtz. Also, Jerry came from the MAC, Brewster a position coach, and Mason before then was a well-established P5 head coach coming from Kansas, and had just accepted and turned down Georgia the year before. Walker came from TCU, the Southwest Conference, and had been successful there and NDSU prior to that. So, have had established head coaches from strong programs in the past.

All that said, I don’t see many coaches leaving here or anywhere P5 if they turn it around, unless it’s going home or to one of the 4-5 helmet schools. Even then it’s rare because you are leaving your program to just be the next coach at a helmet school and can be run out quick. I’m not even a PJ fan, but I would be really surprised to see him leave if he can get over the jump here.
Some fans are just wired to assume that every coach here has one foot out the door. There is always the chance that Fleck leaves at some point but I don't sense he has any burning desire to get out of town anytime soon.

He has spoken many times about really respecting guys like Alvarez and Fry, guys who stuck around at the same school and really built a legacy.

But the Holtz effect will always be there for some fans where they will always view Minnesota as a stepping stone job even though it has not been in nearly 40 years.

The Softball team Rows the Boat after a home run. They also give the hitter an oar after crossing home plate.

Fleck’s effect on other programs is real and impactful

Top Bottom