Fleck: “That was culture over skill.”

I think PJ is responding this way not because he thinks our players are bad, but because Nebraska does out recruit us and we keep beating them. So if our recruits aren't as good as Nebraska's it must be the culture (coaching, development and environment) that gets our players better prepared than Nebraska. And he doesn't say Nebraska's culture is bad, just that ours is better.

And the rankings support the notion that Nebraska has recruited players with better evaluations than Minnesota has.

Big Ten Recruiting Rankings from 247Sports:

5 Nebraska
8 Minnesota

4 Nebraska
9 Minnesota

4 Nebraska
10 Minnesota

4 Nebraska
7 Minnesota

5 Nebraska
12 Minnesota

5 Year Average
4.4 Nebraska
9.2 Minnesota

We can argue about interpretation of culture all we want.

What is incontrovertible is today's result.

Wow, they must some great culture at Bowling Green. If you have ever been to BG Ohio, culture is not the first thing that comes to mind.

The 1 thing with all the slogans (and other things PJ does) - it allows Fleck's players to play with less of a direct look put on them. PJ brings all the attention to himself. It does come off to people some as "look at me" - but that may be by design. Everybody has a Bowling Green game it seems. That said, I believe that PJ takes a lot or pressure off his players through his coaching - and thats positive. I think he is an excellent coach - his players play the right way and play like a team that is well coached. Can Nebby say that?

The 1 thing with all the slogans (and other things PJ does) - it allows Fleck's players to play with less of a direct look put on them. PJ brings all the attention to himself. It does come off to people some as "look at me" - but that may be by design. Everybody has a Bowling Green game it seems. That said, I believe that PJ takes a lot or pressure off his players through his coaching - and thats positive. I think he is an excellent coach - his players play the right way and play like a team that is well coached. Can Nebby say that?
People talk about the look at me stuff.

But when you watch this press conferences he's talking about the players and the coaches constantly.

People talk about the look at me stuff.

But when you watch this press conferences he's talking about the players and the coaches constantly.
Agreed - which is why he is a good coach. He never puts his coaches and players in a position where the negative can be assumed, even if it comes off sometimes as being self-serving by others. I wasn't sold on some of what he was early on - but its easy to see why he is successful and his players play hard for him.

that was Morgan making better throws than Martinez

that was CAB, MBS making better catches than NE wrs

that was our oline opening better holes, providing better protection than Neb oline

that was our dline getting more pressure than Ne dline

that was Rossi having a good scheme and def coaches having guys assignment and alignment ready for option and Martinez scramble

that was benefit of bye week and home field and Ne coming off emotional, hard fought loss

that was Sanford being allowed to mix in more short and intermediate passing, mixing in more first down, second down passing, throwing out of Wildcat

that was Bryce stepping up big time, Ky and Bucky stepping up

that was some nice defensive plays and some luck on goal line

that was Martinez making a dumb decision under pressure, our des beating their ots

if it is about culture beating talent, then let's bring in Loeffler and adopt the Fly, Falcons, Fly culture

that was Morgan making better throws than Martinez

that was CAB, MBS making better catches than NE wrs

that was our oline opening better holes, providing better protection than Neb oline

that was our dline getting more pressure than Ne dline

that was Rossi having a good scheme and def coaches having guys assignment and alignment ready for option and Martinez scramble

that was benefit of bye week and home field and Ne coming off emotional, hard fought loss

that was Sanford being allowed to mix in more short and intermediate passing, mixing in more first down, second down passing, throwing out of Wildcat

that was Bryce stepping up big time, Bryce and Bucky stepping up

that was some nice defensive plays and some luck on goal line

that was Martinez making a dumb decision under pressure, our des beating their ots

if it is about culture beating talent, then let's bring in Loeffler and adopt the Fly, Falcons, Fly culture

The thing is, most of your items are supported by strong culture.

It's not like there can't be a strong culture and execution of certain assignments by players. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I get what Fleck was trying to say. I wonder if that was the best way to phrase it.

There is another thread on this topic, but -

when a coach frames a game as "culture vs skill," - I think a reasonable person can draw the inference that one team had a better culture while the other team had more skill.

So, if you wanted to, you could see that as Fleck saying the other team has more talent. That is a weird way of complimenting his own team - "you guys aren't as talented, but you find ways to win games."

I think a better way to phrase that would be something like - "those were two good teams out there today, and our guys did what they had to do to win the game. That's a product of the way we practice and the way we believe in each other."

Top Bottom