Fitz on Gophers

Fitz is a hell of a coach. Cats definitely got the right guy there and they always play hard. For a lot of that Michigan game they were right there with them. Wasn’t until late in the third that Michigan started to pull away. Hopefully the Gophers can continue to do the same but I really think Fitz has this team headed in the right direction again.

Just watched a condensed replay from the NU Michigan game. Was closer than the score says and Michigan ran away from it late. I dont think this game will be decided until the 4th quarter. Can’t sleep on them

He's the head coach at a school that prioritizes academics. Fitz is a smart dude. But he really said a lot of the obvious things. Experience is a calculable number. We all know that the Gophers have experience....especially on the lines. Sometimes it takes time for a unit to gel....regardless of position group. In our case....I think it's the d-line that looked rough those first few weeks....and are now looking like a solid group up front.

Just watched a condensed replay from the NU Michigan game. Was closer than the score says and Michigan ran away from it late. I dont think this game will be decided until the 4th quarter. Can’t sleep on them
If we do I could see the Cat's D taking a page out of Barry O's playbook.

31-10 Minnesota.

Respectively disagree. Michigan should have been up by at least 17 at half. They ran something like 53 plays to NU 19 in the 1st half. NU got the 1 big run but other than that, almost nothing on offense. Michigan, if I remember right, also left some points on the board at the end of the half.
That said, it will not be easy at NU and I think Fitz is setting us up talking about how good we are. I expect a battle and hopefully we pull away in the 2nd half.

This will not be an easy game and it will not be decided early. Fitz is good for at least one upset yet this year.
The Gophers cannot get overconfident. You can bet NW will throw in the kitchen sink to try to upset the Gophers.

If they survived, they will rinse and repeat with Illinois, Iowa, Indiana. Finally, they will close the season against Wiscy.

All of the remaining five games will be dogfights.

Northwestern always gives the Gophers fit's with their ability to motion, confuse and change up there complete offensive package to stuff they haven't run or tried all year. You can bet they will be running Wildcat with direct snaps to the tailback, jet sweeps, and that reverse flip pitch play to the Wide receivers, flea flickers (they always try these against us). This is just some that the Wildcats do, they always run those bags of tricks against the Gophers and try and beat us on the edges, then hit us with the counter action and inside zone plays that they always do. I expect Evan Hull from Maple Grove will be really fired up for this game considering the Gophers never really recruited him, so you can bet that will be another angle to deal with. I fully expect Northwestern will fake punts, or even try an onside kick to start the second half if we win the toss and defer.

This will be no gimme game and never is against Northwestern. For some reason we always get one of the 'Best games" the Cats will offer all season. Hopefully the weather isn't to bad, and the Gophers are not looking ahead to the Halloween party's and stuff Saturday night. This is a classic trap game.

This will not be an easy game and it will not be decided early. Fitz is good for at least one upset yet this year.
I dunno, I think it could be a route by the gophers. NW hasn’t been very impressive stopping the run, and they haven’t impressed offensively either. Plus they might be down their top wr.

Will we see the Gophers attempt more passes against the Wildcats?

Fitz is a heck of a coach, and ever since he's been there I've come to expect a battle out of Northwestern, down season or no. At this point in the season it is quite the shock to see them 14th in the conference in total defense, as normally they bring it on defense and bring it very hard, but they have just been terribly inconsistent this season on that side of the ball and have struggled mightily to stop the run.

I have no idea what to expect this Saturday, but I'm gonna assume that we're probably going to be in for a game.

NW was good last year. They've had several good teams recently. They're not good this year. They weren't good in 2019 either when MN went to Evanston and won a relative snooze-fest by 16 while racking up over 400 yards of offense and holding NW under 250. NW can win on Saturday but I don't see it happening. MN is clicking right now and improving every week.

Will we see the Gophers attempt more passes against the Wildcats?
Hope not, because that will mean the run game is working and gauging them for big yards. 10-15 throws to keep the D honest while the backs rack up another huge game sounds about right to me.

What’s their offense this year? Decent but young QB? I remember in 2019 how lost their QB was.

Top Bottom