Fisch update from Kent

This is just not good. While I haven't been thrilled with Fisch, I agree that his staying is much better for the future of the Gophers than having to hire yet another OC. Brewster wants the new OC to keep the offense the same including terminolgy??? Does anyone besides me not see that working too well unless you promote someone currently on the staff? Perhaps that is used as enticement for Davis to stay???

GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!

Kent, thank you for the update.

U2, I was always under the impression that the head coach usually settles on an offense and hires an OC to manage it. Changing offensive coordinators happens more often then changing head coaches and I don't see a college offense getting revamped every time a new coordinator comes in. Certainly a new OC will add his flavor to it and tweak it a little, but it remains the basic philosophy of the HC.

I also support the continuity idea, but it has been obvious that Fisch was going to jump somewhere. If Brew can bring in the right guy, it will be better in the long run. My concern is that this will be Brew's third attemp to find the right guy during his brief tenure as head coach. It will be interesting to hear the player reaction to this news when it becomes official.

Fisch was a crappy coach, so I can't say that I'd miss him. Hopefully they keep the same system with someone BETTER.

I don't understand the fascination with keeping crappy coaches just for the sake of continuity.

And PLEASE let it be someone from the college ranks.

Kent, thank you for the update.

U2, I was always under the impression that the head coach usually settles on an offense and hires an OC to manage it. Changing offensive coordinators happens more often then changing head coaches and I don't see a college offense getting revamped every time a new coordinator comes in. Certainly a new OC will add his flavor to it and tweak it a little, but it remains the basic philosophy of the HC.

I think the problem lies in Brewster wanting or expecting a new OC to come in and use the same terminology as Fisch. I think that is highly unlikely from any OC that is worth a darn. Why would a successful coordinator agree to come here and run a 1st year OC's offense over their own and have to report to a lame duck coach who is in over his head. If you find that guy it will likely be someone not in demand at all and just desperate for a paycheck.

I think the problem lies in Brewster wanting or expecting a new OC to come in and use the same terminology as Fisch. I think that is highly unlikely from any OC that is worth a darn. Why would a successful coordinator agree to come here and run a 1st year OC's offense over their own and have to report to a lame duck coach who is in over his head. If you find that guy it will likely be someone not in demand at all and just desperate for a paycheck.

Let's see if I got this straight. If a new OC comes in you nail Brewster for changing his offense again. If Brewster keeps the Offense, but the new guy just uses the same terminology then "If you find that guy it will likely be someone not in demand at all and just desperate for a paycheck.

Nice!:clap: You missed your calling. You should be spinning away for the Karzai government, Gilbert Areanas or at least Denny Hecker. They could all use the help. :)

Every coach that changes jobs coming up through the ranks, has learned new terminology, it comes with the territory. As long as rhe base philosophy is a match it shouldn't be a problem. At this point I think that Chris Meidt might be our best choice depending on his availability.

Don't know much about football do you?

Fisch was a crappy coach, so I can't say that I'd miss him. Hopefully they keep the same system with someone BETTER.

I don't understand the fascination with keeping crappy coaches just for the sake of continuity.

And PLEASE let it be someone from the college ranks.

I believe there are numerous NFL minds who would disagree with you.

I believe a "good riddance" is in order.

Fisch may be a good assistant coach.

An effective offensive coordinator he is not.

See ya Fish, wish I could say I'll miss you, but I won't.

Because our offense was so consistent, explosive, and creative last season?

*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, our offense wasn't even medicore...it was terrible.

Fisch will probably fit in well in the vanilla world of NFL scheming. He may very well be a competent NFL position coach...but he's completely out of his league as a Big Ten OC.

Because our offense was so consistent, explosive, and creative last season?

*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, our offense wasn't even medicore...it was terrible.

Fisch will probably fit in well in the vanilla world of NFL scheming. He may very well be a competent NFL position coach...but he's completely out of his league as a Big Ten OC.

The offense was not very good at all this year, however, all of it does not lie on the shoulders of the OC. Go back and watch the game film. If the players on the field execute, our offensive performance would have been a lot better. There were countless bad throws to open receivers, bad reads, dropped balls, fumbles, missed blocks, etc. I think Fisch definitely struggled finding a system that worked at the college level, but the OC's job is done once the play is called. If the QB throws a bad pass, it's not on the OC. A brilliant play call can look horrible if not executed.

Also, it's not as if Fisch created some brand new offensive scheme that has never been run before just because he was a first year OC. His offense is a combination of all the other offensive systems he's coached under. As a new coach, you install what you've seen work in the past that you think will work in your current situation. I think his biggest mistake was overestimating the skills of college players and putting in too much. He's a good position coach learning the ropes at the OC level, which he'll do well in the years to come. Sadly, it was either this year or next that he'd leave.

We had a very, very bad offense last year. Part of this was due to the performance of our offensive line and receivers. Part of this was the inability of our QB to adjust to putting his hand under center. Part was due to the fact that we did not have a "go to" running back. Part of this was due to the fact that our OC was running a college offense for the first time in his life. Next year we get a significant upgrade in most of these areas and will improve significantly as long as we don't have someone in here trying to install a "NEW" offensive scheme. And provided that person is announced within a few days of the announcement we are losing Fisch

We had a very, very bad offense last year. Part of this was due to the performance of our offensive line and receivers. Part of this was the inability of our QB to adjust to putting his hand under center. Part was due to the fact that we did not have a "go to" running back. Part of this was due to the fact that our OC was running a college offense for the first time in his life. Next year we get a significant upgrade in most of these areas and will improve significantly as long as we don't have someone in here trying to install a "NEW" offensive scheme. And provided that person is announced within a few days of the announcement we are losing Fisch

A post that is fair and accurate. Finally. The D will be improved as well.

Way too overrated by the fans, football isn't rocket science, most runs are pretty easy terminology wise no matter the offense. Passing game too might be easier depending on the quarterback. I can hardly wait for next years NFL season to see Matt Hasselbeck throwing balls in to the turf.

Wow you just don't get it do you. LAST IN OFFENSE IN THE BIG TEN.

Is that your favorite line? "you just don't get it"

Maybe you don't get that he is a wanted man by some NFL teams. That doesn't have anything to do with the Gophers offensive-it means some NFL head coaches like him. I hope someday you can actually respond correctly to the post you quoted.

Drama

What's with all the drama? I've never seen the naming of a QB coach go on for soo long and apparently capture the attention of the nation. I would just like to see us move-on one way or the other. These teams (pro and college) rarely take soo long to name a HC or a DC/OC. This is for a QB coach! Certainly Carroll and Bates know lots of QB coaches and offensive assistants. What could possibly be negotiated for soo long? With signing day coming very soon, it would have been nice of Fisch to wrap this up quickly.

Let's see if I got this straight. If a new OC comes in you nail Brewster for changing his offense again. If Brewster keeps the Offense, but the new guy just uses the same terminology then "If you find that guy it will likely be someone not in demand at all and just desperate for a paycheck.

Nice!:clap: You missed your calling. You should be spinning away for the Karzai government, Gilbert Areanas or at least Denny Hecker. They could all use the help. :)

It is not my fault that Brewster put himself in a box by not identifying the offense he wanted to run from day one and not having a coaching staff in place that had a long history with him and therefore more likely to be loyal to him. I am sure you are correct that a competent and in demand coordinator is going to jump at the opportunity to move their families to most likely work 1 year for a lame duck coach. How many coordinators turned Brewster down last year before he was even on the hotseat? I agree Brewster is in a tough spot but he is the one largely responsible for placing himself there.

Maybe Brewster has asked for time to name/hire a new OC before the announcement to give he illusion of filling the vacancy in quick order. Rather than have that process drag out.

What's with all the drama? I've never seen the naming of a QB coach go on for soo long and apparently capture the attention of the nation. I would just like to see us move-on one way or the other. These teams (pro and college) rarely take soo long to name a HC or a DC/OC. This is for a QB coach! Certainly Carroll and Bates know lots of QB coaches and offensive assistants. What could possibly be negotiated for soo long? With signing day coming very soon, it would have been nice of Fisch to wrap this up quickly.

That's because you've never even read about a QB coaching search before. Here every move made over at the U is a referendum on Brewster. :horse:

Until Kent gets confirmation from Fisch's grandfather and gets a quote from Fisch's dog, this is just hearsay.

My whole campaign of consistency in our coaching, specifically in our coordinators, is failing faster then the weber myth creators. :(.

He might be a great coach in the NFL, where they can get him the players needed for his system. But that doesn't mean he's a great college coach. Maybe the players aren't good enough for his system. But his job is to get the most out of the talent available, not to prepare a resume for the NFL. If he can't put together an offense that the players can execute, that's a problem.

It will be a setback if we have to change offenses again. If we do have to change, we may not need a "killer shot", but just a good coach. I'd like to see Gray running the triple option. It's not an NFL offense, so we wouldn't have OCs looking to jump to the NFL. It might give us a chance at recruiting a first-class fullback, there seems to be less demand for them these days.

You're defending a guy who coached the worst ranked offense in the Big Ten and ranked something like 110th in the country, yet you're telling someone who's happy to see Fisch gone that he/she doesn't know much about football. Priceless. Get a mind of your own instead of listening to NFL coaches who want Fisch on their staff. Fisch was a complete disaster, the fact that you can't see that is mind blowing.

Someone might be a great chef with the right ingredients, but if he won't make the best meal he can with the ingredients available, and insists on making what he wants to make, you might not enjoy the meal he serves you.

Every coach that changes jobs coming up through the ranks, has learned new terminology, it comes with the territory. As long as rhe base philosophy is a match it shouldn't be a problem. At this point I think that Chris Meidt might be our best choice depending on his availability.

Coach Meidt runs a form of the Spread that lots of people around here cannot stand. He was successful running it at Bethel and St. Olaf though I am not sure if that qualifies as enough experience to jump to the DI OC position.

Coach Meidt was one of the three people calling plays for the Washington Redskins which is not a spread offense. Part of his duties involved game planning and QB coach. He helped develop Josh Campbell into a serviceable NFL QB. Our most important requirements for an OC are to adapt a playbook that combines elements of the spread and an NFL offense to our players abilities. He also needs to straighten out the QB position with the current talent.

Top Bottom