Fisch mentioned as possible LSU OC replacement

This makes me laugh a little bit. Did his year with the Gophers this season really raise eyebrows with an SEC program?

This makes me laugh a little bit. Did his year with the Gophers this season really raise eyebrows with an SEC program?

Not in the eyes of the LSU fans by the number of incredulous posters on the linked LSU board. Also, Dandy Don appears to have the same level of respect among LSU fans as Sid or Little Birdy do here.

The fact that he says Fisch is 44 years old strains the credulity of his post.

Did Everett Withers do anything here to warrant being hired by UNC?

It's called the Gopher Handicapping System. Take what a coordinator does here, increase the offensive or defensive output by 60% and you have what a coordinator will do at a good program. Other schools have this figured out. ;)

It's called the Gopher Handicapping System. Take what a coordinator does here, increase the offensive or defensive output by 60% and you have what a coordinator will do at a good program. Other schools have this figured out. ;)

Haha. It must be true. I never would have thought anyone would 'steal' Withers from us, just as I wouldn't think anyone would want Fisch. But obviously it's possible.

I was just going to post something similar. A lot of People said Everett Withers sucked as a coach, seems to me he has North Carolina's Defense ranked 6th in total Defense.

Jedd Fisch will be just fine and he is a good coach, Steve Spurrier and NFL Coaches would not hire him if he was not. How about giving Fisch some time and some good athletes to work with, I believe Brewster is giving him both time and athletes.

I was just going to post something similar. A lot of People said Everett Withers sucked as a coach, seems to me he has North Carolina's Defense ranked 6th in total Defense.

Jedd Fisch will be just fine and he is a good coach, Steve Spurrier and NFL Coaches would not hire him if he was not. How about giving Fisch some time and some good athletes to work with, I believe Brewster is giving him both time and athletes.

Fisch wasn't really a coach. He was an assistant position coach at most places. How many coaches do you need? His other titles were "quality control" or something like that. He was nothing but a glorified manager/towel boy.

Withers inhereted players who were ... less than stellar. He moved to a team with better athletes and he looks good now. And, since then, our defense has improved with better players

Fisch is working with offensive players who are ... let's call them "a work in progress." A more experienced, very good offensive coordinator probably would've gotten more out of the offense than Fisch did. And I can nitpick about too many trick plays and abandoning the run too early in some games. But Fisch isn't the primary problem with the offense, in my opinion.

Having said that, I do think LSU could do better.

Fisch wasn't really a coach. He was an assistant position coach at most places. How many coaches do you need? His other titles were "quality control" or something like that. He was nothing but a glorified manager/towel boy.

Do you honestly believe that assistant position coaches don't break down film/scout opponents/help establish game plans/etc? At most NFL stops, that's all they do. I can't think of a better way to really learn the game of football than to spend 80 hours a week diagramming hundreds upon thousands of plays, especially if that study is guided by a more experienced person - aka, the position coach they report to.

Go baby go OC Fisch and don't let the door hit you

Please, please say this is true and that Les Miles will hire Mr. Fisch away yesterday.
He cannot go fast enough.

Give me a break...you make it sound like anyone could get one of these jobs. Do me a favor and take your resume down to Winter Park. Hell, do me a favor and take my resume as well. Report back as to whether or not they hire either of us as a paid assistant to anything or anyone. But don't stop there. After you visit the Vikings, do the same at the U or any other D1 program. You should also try UMD, St. Thomas, and Wayzata High School. I'm sorry, but NFL teams don't just give away coaching jobs--I don't care what your title is.

Yeah, he's like Dwight on The Office. He wasn't the Assistant WR Coach, he was the Assistant to the WR Coach!!!

:)

Please, please say this is true and that Les Miles will hire Mr. Fisch away yesterday.
He cannot go fast enough.

Ha ha I was about to say the same exact thing......if only someone was dumb enough to do it. :eek:

Yeah, he's like Dwight on The Office. He wasn't the Assistant WR Coach, he was the Assistant to the WR Coach!!!

:)

dj-tribe-spinning.jpg

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ahah, obfuscation...

Not a "promotion" but a waaaaay easier job for several reasons. And that makes it a sweet job.

Would you rather play OSU, PSU and Iowa or Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Miami?

On top of that, the Carolinas have approximately the same population as New England, but it is a football hotbed with no obvious football superpower.

In better times Minnesota used to be able to pull a lot of recruits out of there. This is why McNeal deciding to go to Clemson was a big deal. The pipeline has flowed freely in the other direction for decades. But all the recruiting data shows that most guys would prefer to stay near home if they can.

It takes coaching and talent. having good talent doesn't mean he isn't a good coach.

And we all know, if Fisch left he'd turn out to be great. It's just how it works as a Gopher fan.

We ain't giving up our coordinators without a turf battle.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DUezVHu5oVE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DUezVHu5oVE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Not a "promotion" but a waaaaay easier job for several reasons. And that makes it a sweet job.

Would you rather play OSU, PSU and Iowa or Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Miami?

I'd rather play OSU, PSU and Iowa if I were a defensive coordinator.

Scoring Offense
12. Georgia Tech
25. Miami
27. Virginia Tech
43. Penn State
48. Ohio State
87. Iowa

Total Offense
15. Georgia Tech
35. Miami
35. Penn State
56. Virginia Tech
69. Ohio State
96. Iowa

It's also a hoops school first....just ask Kansas (minus 2008), Indiana, Duke, Kentucky, etc. how difficult it is.

Serious issue is: Does U present unique problems / obstacles for football coaches not found at some other institutions? I'm going to get roundly walloped here, but as much of a joke as Jim Wacker has become with a lot of Gopher fans, he's the next thing to an immortal legend at two or three other places. I mean, even the most ardent Wacker detractor would have to allow some credit for National Coach of the Year (D1). Did he forget how to coach or run a football program when he came to Minnesota? Civil responses appreciated.

bottom line is that players make coaches more that coaches make players. Give him time. I find it interesting how when Brewster was hired we needed to take 5 years to build the program. Three years later, we have failed in some posters eyes.

I was not happy with this year or the second half last year. However, I am encouraged by the defense and how it has improved. We went from a team that had a safety as the leading tackler every year to the top three being our linebackers. Defense wins and if the offense makes any strides next year in the second year of the system, progress will be seen across the board.

There was a time when we were at a severe disadvantage. i believe those days are gone, it's just a matter of getting it done.

It all changed during Mason's tenure, he just didn't realize things had changed and didn't take advantage.

Serious issue is: Does U present unique problems / obstacles for football coaches not found at some other institutions? I'm going to get roundly walloped here, but as much of a joke as Jim Wacker has become with a lot of Gopher fans, he's the next thing to an immortal legend at two or three other places. I mean, even the most ardent Wacker detractor would have to allow some credit for National Coach of the Year (D1). Did he forget how to coach or run a football program when he came to Minnesota? Civil responses appreciated.

I think you make a good point. Something is wrong. If the top players in MN don't salivate to be Gophers how does that help with perception/recruiting outstate talent? Guarantee other recruiters use this time and time again against MN.

Withers took a yr. to figure out that he threw too much at college kids. Hopefully Fisch will learn the same thing.

Instate talent is subjected to the negativity of the local media. In effect they're prone to making decisions based on the program of twenty years ago. The outstate talent isn't burdened with such memory. They are only focused on the next four years, and we're a great option.

The facts are that scholarship limits changed, and national exposure changed. The internet age took hold. We are on the radar of more kids than ever before. We present an opportunity at the top level for many kids. The only thing holding us back, is just doing it.

You have a point, but I don't think there's anything handicapping Minnesota anymore then Wisconsin, Iowa or certainly Northwestern who have all managed greater success. There's the issue of being about the 5th most popular team in town versus #1 in those other places, but being in a big city has it's own advantages. And Northwestern Football isn't the 5th most popular team in Chicago, more like 15th. Yet they've made two Rose Bowls.

Wacker didn't forget how to coach when he came here, but he's hardly the first person to have tremendous success one place followed by epic failure the next. Did Steve Kragthorpe forget how to coach when he went from Tulsa to Louisville? Did Dan Hawkins forget how to coach on the way from Boise to Boulder? I doubt it.

Kansas is a similar job to Minnesota, and I think you could argue that Glen Mason had about the same level of success both places. He may have gotten to slighly better records and bowl games at Kansas, but probably was in a slighly easier conference at the time.

OK, I,m old, but I remember when you opened the Peach Sports Section, it was filled with gopher sequence pictures, with playernames in little boxes. There were almost daily articles on the team and 1x a weeka player profile. Most kids in the state wanted to be gophers. For nonconf. games the bleachers were full of HS. teams or bands. Thats why kids wanted to be gophers. Now it almost no coverage and if there is it's mostly negative.

I was going to make a seperate thread for this, but he's also on the rumor list for the Akron Head coaching job.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/78201812.html

Glen Mason on the list isn't much of a surprise either. I wonder if he wants to get back into coaching enough to take a MAC job.

For those of you that don't know, Akron's new AD, Tom Wistrcill, worked under Maturi here at the U and is a Minnesota native.

Top Bottom