Fisch expected to go to Seattle, according to Seattle Times

If he's gone the replacement almost has to come from within or at least be willing to run the same offense. Any attempt to install yet another new scheme will be nothing but a train-wreck. I would hope Brew knows this and will make the hire accordingly.

I agree. But then I thought ditching the spread was a mistake.

Several of those you mentioned as far as I read were just mentioned as candidates, not as they were going to go there. The USC ones were other then Sark...I remember him being mentioned but not saying he was going there. The Fisch rumors were so far just that...rumors, no guarantees of him going there. Muschamp was offered the job and turned it down, I don't remember seeing an article saying he was going to Tennessee...

Frankly, most of the bad reporting I've seen has been on USC's jobs....and frankly I think thats probably not the reporters fault, but their "sources" from inside the USC athletic department blowing smoke up their asses....

You got that right. If you'd like take the time to look back over the last few weeks. There's WAY more speculating then reporting going on. It's writers passing on gossip, not reporting facts. It happens in College Football, the NBA and MLB. The NBA and baseball writers at least admit that they've been used many times by agents and GM's. Agents plant stories make their client seem in demand. A GM will plant the story to show the public that "see I'm trying" or say he turned down a trade to show his player that he is valued.

College Football isn't that different. There's probably little reporting going on which, gopherguy, was the point of my post.

When Youngblood referenced the same scource last night:

Greeting.

I know my friend Sid Hartman quoted Gophers coach Tim Brewster for this morning's paper saying both Tim Davis and Jedd Fisch are staying. That could very well be.

But, according to the Seattle Times, Fisch could be heading to Seattle.

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for the Times. In his blog, in an update just a few moments ago, he said it was "likely" that Fisch would join Pete Carroll's new staff as quarterbacks coach, where he would work with offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates. Bates and Fisch worked together in Denver.

We'll see where this goes. Have a good night.

You just knew that the "story that never dies" would come-up again. Heck, if "writers" and "experts" keep making stuff up eventually they may get it right. "Even a blind dog can run into a bone" :)

Doogie just posted the link. He wasn't the guy making it up.

Bad News: The gophers will have yet another new coordinator in 2010.

Good News: The offense cannot get any worse.

there is being first, and

Then there is being correct. Getting the story right is reporting. Getting it out is bloging. And while the report came from a Seattle Times reporter, it came in a blog. The Seattle Times reporter did not mention any sources for naming Fisch. From there the race was on. Both Doogie and Youngblood merely reported the speculation. Neither the initial story, doogie post, or younblood's blog met basics of reporting. If doogie wants to hang his hat on the story as is, and if it then fails to materialize he should lose not only his credibilty but his hat as well.

Then there is being correct. Getting the story right is reporting. Getting it out is bloging. And while the report came from a Seattle Times reporter, it came in a blog. The Seattle Times reporter did not mention any sources for naming Fisch. From there the race was on. Both Doogie and Youngblood merely reported the speculation. Neither the initial story, doogie post, or younblood's blog met basics of reporting. If doogie wants to hang his hat on the story as is, and if it then fails to materialize he should lose not only his credibilty but his hat as well.

Not a blog, Seattle Times printed the article. It's called a byline. And read the article again, "Jed Fisch is expected to..." The reporter is not writing the deal is 100% done, but he is confident enough that Fisch is a candidate that put it into print. And this isn't a dissertation! Newspapers don't have to footnote their primary sources for every tidbit. The reporter is putting his credibility on the line when he feels confident enough to put it in a story. It's quite possible Doogie and the Seattle reporter might have egg on their face in a week if it doesn't happen. But are you man enough to admit it too, when the egg falls squarely on your grill if Fisch takes the job??

"when the egg falls squarely on your grill"

Whoa! I guess the gloves are off now!:cool03:

Newspapers don't have to footnote their primary sources for every tidbit.

BS. Where the information comes from adds credibility to the story. A reporter that can't type an extra 3 or 4 words is lazy or just too embarrassed to report how they came by the info. In this case, if he overheard it from someone within the SeaHawks, it would make the story more relevant. If it was an internet or industry rumor with no real source, then it is very irrelevant.

BS. Where the information comes from adds credibility to the story. A reporter that can't type an extra 3 or 4 words is lazy or just too embarrassed to report how they came by the info. In this case, if he overheard it from someone within the SeaHawks, it would make the story more relevant. If it was an internet or industry rumor with no real source, then it is very irrelevant.

It came from Deep Throat, does that make you happy.

Alright. Then there really wasn't an earthquake in Haiti this week because no reporter can find a primary source alive in Port-au-Prince to confirm it.

It is sort of a side bar but I like the ultimate quote. The reporter in question in this article wrote that DeWayne Walker may be the new DC at Seattle earlier in the week. This article (http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_14173183) was in part the result of that report. I really like Walker's ending quotes: "I'm convinced the media doesn't know (anything)," he said. "This is comical."

Alright. Then there really wasn't an earthquake in Haiti this week because no reporter can find a primary source alive in Port-au-Prince to confirm it.

In Haiti's case there were over 9.5 million sources, and unfortunately over 45,000 of them have been silenced...

Solid piece from Marcus and adds some credence that Fisch's best choice is to stay with the Gophers for at least one more year.

Solid piece from Marcus and adds some credence that Fisch's best choice is to stay with the Gophers for at least one more year.

I get the feeling if Fisch leaves it's to work with Bates and Carroll more than anything. I've seen it happen in the workplace more than once. Someone becomes a manager and they bring in the people they like and can work with. Fisch seems like the type of guy who is very motivated by the opportunity to work with the so-called elite of coaching (Spurrier, Billick (at the time), Shanahan and now Carroll). Brewster just gave him the opportunity to earn a paycheck for a year and develop his offense.

Why is everyone so skeptical of people passing on information on this board. Doogie simply linked a newspaper article, he doesn't have to stand by other people's sources. Everyone on this board should know that until it is official, it's just a rumor. However, that doesn't mean people need to gurantee any inside information that they come across on this board, all they are doing is passing on what they've heard. I remember the posts where the guys who claimed: Dandridge is off the team, Brew is getting an extension, Eure is signed - were blasted for not naming their souces. This is a message board, it's one part water cooler another part male gossip column.

That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the reporter being lazy. A large portion of the information passed along in the newspapers comes from sources within an organization who, for whatever reason, cannot be identified. In an instance like this, it's often someone from the team who's confirming that the team is in negotiations with a coach, but won't say it themselves because if negotiations for whatever reason fall through, they don't want proof that they didn't get their first choice. (Though this specific instance could be any number of things, including the real possibility that it is indeed just rumor). If it eventually comes out that the SeaHawks were never looking at Fisch, this reporter loses credibility, and if the reporter finds out his source was wrong, the source loses credibility with the paper. It's a basic tenet of journalism (and something we're, unfortunately, losing).

Why is everyone so skeptical of people passing on information on this board. Doogie simply linked a newspaper article, he doesn't have to stand by other people's sources. Everyone on this board should know that until it is official, it's just a rumor. However, that doesn't mean people need to gurantee any inside information that they come across on this board, all they are doing is passing on what they've heard. I remember the posts where the guys who claimed: Dandridge is off the team, Brew is getting an extension, Eure is signed - were blasted for not naming their souces. This is a message board, it's one part water cooler another part male gossip column.

Well said.

If Fisch does leave two things to consider:

1. Tim Davis might end up being our next offensive coordinator
2. If Davis leaves as well, it may be hard to find another suitable replacement as coaches may look at Brewster as a lame duck coach. No one wants to take a job just for one season unless they are desperate or unqualified. And there is really no one on the offensive staff that would be an option as an offensive coordinator.

If Fisch leaves and Davis stays having Davis become OC seems like a good move for consistency sake. Not sure if that is who HE is.

I think is Fisch leaves (which he will) at this point it would be best for the team to have Davis take the helm. At a different time and place he would not be the choice, but consistancey for the kids is imporatant. The O-line needs to get past dwelling on the X's and Os so that they can concentrate on technique like keeping a body on somebody (like Iowa's line). So with this said, they'ed keep the same playbook but riddle me this: "Does he have any experience building a game plan and calling a game?"

I think is Fisch leaves (which he will) at this point it would be best for the team to have Davis take the helm. At a different time and place he would not be the choice, but consistancey for the kids is imporatant. The O-line needs to get past dwelling on the X's and Os so that they can concentrate on technique like keeping a body on somebody (like Iowa's line). So with this said, they'ed keep the same playbook but riddle me this: "Does he have any experience building a game plan and calling a game?"

I'm sick of hearing this "consistency" thing. If Fisch leaves, you bring in the best coach out there that's available and wants the job! Offense is offense, we're trying to run power football it's not rocket science.

I'm sick of hearing this "consistency" thing. If Fisch leaves, you bring in the best coach out there that's available and wants the job! Offense is offense, we're trying to run power football it's not rocket science.

Amen.

I can't believe all of the handwringing over Fisch possibly leaving. The gophers had one of the worst offenses in the country last year.

Amen.

I can't believe all of the handwringing over Fisch possibly leaving. The gophers had one of the worst offenses in the country last year.

Fisch probably has the most upside of any of the OC's in the Big Ten and the most marketability recruiting wise being an NFL guy who is sought after.

I have not heard any of the other Big Ten Offensive Coordinators name's being mentioned for NFL jobs.

Bankonit -- How has that so-called marketability worked so far? Chryst will be a head coach one day ... 44 years old, so I would say he has some good upside ... I like Fisch, but the only reason you say upside is because of his age.

Fisch probably has the most upside of any of the OC's in the Big Ten and the most marketability recruiting wise being an NFL guy who is sought after.

I have not heard any of the other Big Ten Offensive Coordinators name's being mentioned for NFL jobs.

Bank on this, Jedd Fisch will never be a NFL head coach. Other recruiters are probably recruiting against him by saying, he never played HS football. Who in the Big Ten right now is he a better, more experienced coordinator than?

So Steve Spurrier, Dom Capers, Mike Shanahan, Brian Billick, Lovie Smith, and Pete Carroll are all idiots? Because they all believe Jedd Fisch is a great offensive mind and many other coaches as well believe he will be a head coach sooner rather than later.

So Steve Spurrier, Dom Capers, Mike Shanahan, Brian Billick, Lovie Smith, and Pete Carroll are all idiots? Because they all believe Jedd Fisch is a great offensive mind and many other coaches as well believe he will be a head coach sooner rather than later.

No they are not idiots. But besides speculation and rumor, none of them were interested in Fisch for a coordinator job either. And I highly doubt that he turned down the chance to be the OC in Chicago to be the QB coach in Seattle, so he was probably never wanted for that job either.

Here's my question: It seems like most are basically expecting Fisch to leave for the Seattle job. If he truly is the guy they want and he wants to go (as reported by many) whats taking so long?

Here's my question: It seems like most are basically expecting Fisch to leave for the Seattle job. If he truly is the guy they want and he wants to go (as reported by many) whats taking so long?

I'm beginning to wonder the same thing.

Top Bottom