Fire PJ immediately please

The dumbasses on here will say it’s just one game. They will be years late to make a move.

Predicted this in 2021.

Dumbass coach. If you think otherwise, you simply haven’t been watching.
Agree, but he will not get fired even though he is close to deserving it. As long as this AD is here and we do not develop a board of regents that see the value of this program to the whole university, nothing will change. The U is paying decent money and has all the resources to give a real coach a chance. Fleck knows nothing about football and nothing about building. Little by little things are degrading but I will say he is great at masking the truth of where we are. When the new members come into the conference, we either stay with this guy and print more "row the boat" t-shirts for the gullible or take another try at somebody who is actually a football coach.
It is one game, the PSU game in 2019. Was great but people keep hanging that on Flecks chest like he is the savior of all things Gopher nation. like the coaches before him, still cannot beat Iowa and won't this year either. Review the game and look at Flecks body language and interaction with his coaches. He has no clue.

The argument to fire him is stupid and way too emotional.

But I do think it is fair to ask if we have reached the high water mark of the PJ era and whether or not we really think we will ever reach greater heights, particularly with the additional programs coming in. In my view, he has elevated the program to the "best of the rest" status but remains far behind the elite programs in this conference. We have beaten WI a couple times, sure. But even in 2019, we set this program's pinnacle without beating WI, IA, OSU, and Michigan. We survived Penn State. I'm not trying to minimize that year. It was a fun year. But we survived the preseason and then beat up on the underbelly of the conference.

PJ has always struck me as a guy that would be a very good CEO, a great fundraiser, and likely a pretty good AD at some point in his career. But if we are always looking at his OC and DC choices as the primary reasons for the success or failure of his program, does that mean he is a great football coach himself?

Last edited:

Agree, but he will not get fired even though he is close to deserving it. As long as this AD is here and we do not develop a board of regents that see the value of this program to the whole university, nothing will change. The U is paying decent money and has all the resources to give a real coach a chance. Fleck knows nothing about football and nothing about building. Little by little things are degrading but I will say he is great at masking the truth of where we are. When the new members come into the conference, we either stay with this guy and print more "row the boat" t-shirts for the gullible or take another try at somebody who is actually a football coach.
It is one game, the PSU game in 2019. Was great but people keep hanging that on Flecks chest like he is the savior of all things Gopher nation. like the coaches before him, still cannot beat Iowa and won't this year either. Review the game and look at Flecks body language and interaction with his coaches. He has no clue.
Based on what. Compared to other Big 10
Jobs they don’t have the fan, booster, or NiL support of many other Big Ten programs. Nevermind that Minnesota high school football is a joke.

The argument to fire him is stupid and way too emotional.

But I do think it is fair to ask if we have reached the high water mark of the PJ era and whether or not we really think we will ever reach greater heights, particularly with the additional programs coming in. In my view, he has elevated the program to the "best of the rest" status but remains far behind the elite programs in this conference. We have beaten WI a couple times, sure. But even in 2019, we set this program's pinnacle without beating WI, IA, OSU, and Michigan. We survived Penn State. I'm not trying to minimize that year. It was a fun year. But we survived the preseason and then beat up on the underbelly of the conference.

PJ has always struck me as a guy that would be a very good CEO, a great fundraiser, and likely a pretty good AD at some point in his career. But if we are always looking at his OC and DC choices as the primary reasons for the success or failure of his program, does that mean he is a great football coach himself?
Correct.
Our 2019 high water mark had us lose to WI and IA, barely hang on against PSU, and need a few miracles in the preseason.

Meanwhile, anyone else notice Northwestern’s 2018 Big Ten West Champs sign last night.

Even without the hazing scandal, Fitzgerald was on the hot seat. Meanwhile, we are will be sitting here in 2030 saying, remember that year we beat Penn State at home…

Keep in mind Torres is a premier League fan, where some teams fire 3 managers a season. He's probably used to it.

Fleck could lose every game the rest of the season and still wouldn't be fired.

After everything he's done, he's guaranteed another season to try to fix it.

For sure.

Fleck will coach at MN as long as he wants to -

or as long as Coyle is the AD.

If Coyle left and MN hired a new AD who actually has a spine, then things might be different.

In fact, I would not be shocked if this happened - (warning - speculation):

IF Coyle left MN, I would not be shocked if Fleck followed him out the door within a year.

Any counter arguments?
Who do you get to replace him that’s better is the only counter argument to this statement about any coach ever?

There are definitely coaches out there better than fleck.
1) can Coyle identify them?
2) are they interested?
3) can Coyle land them?
4) does firing a coach after a week 4 loss to bring the team down to 2-2 after
11-2
3-4
9-4
9-4
Hinder your future ability to hire an up and coming coach because it’s a third tier P5 job that would appear to have first or second tier expectations?

Who would you hire that would make a difference? Honest question
Not just an honest question.
The only question

Firing mason was probably the right thing to do. But it was the wrong move because we knew maturi couldn’t land the plane.
Firing pitino was probably the right thing to do. But it was the wrong move because Coyle couldn’t land the plane.

Fleck is probably a top 40 coach in college football. How much confidence do I have that the next guy we land will be top 25 to make it worth making a change?

You’re right.
Nobody wants a job paying them millions of dollars a year.
PJ's not getting the same contract at any other school nor should he. Same as Pitino getting a substantial reduction in pay after leaving MN. Pitino went from $ 2.46 mm/year to $ 750k/year at New Mexico.

Fleck will coach at MN as long as he wants to -

or as long as Coyle is the AD.

If Coyle left and MN hired a new AD who actually has a spine, then things might be different.

In fact, I would not be shocked if this happened - (warning - speculation):

IF Coyle left MN, I would not be shocked if Fleck followed him out the door within a year.
Spineless would be firing the school’s best coach in modern history due to a few fans having hissy fits on the internet.

Spineless would be firing the school’s best coach in modern history due to a few fans having hissy fits on the internet.
Correct.
Unless there is a plan in place for a sure fire upgrade

Correct.
Our 2019 high water mark had us lose to WI and IA, barely hang on against PSU, and need a few miracles in the preseason.

Meanwhile, anyone else notice Northwestern’s 2018 Big Ten West Champs sign last night.

Even without the hazing scandal, Fitzgerald was on the hot seat. Meanwhile, we are will be sitting here in 2030 saying, remember that year we beat Penn State at home…
Yeah well a slight difference there is that since 2019 fleck is 23-14 and Fitzgerald was 13-31 since 2018

PJ Fleck is one of the best coaches this team has had in a long time.

I'm not going to start frothing at the mouth over one bad game. Look at the entire picture since he has got here.

The guy is 4/4 in bowl games in the first 6 years he has been here for crying out loud.:ROFLMAO:

So 2-10 after a nine win season in a coach's seventh year is not considered the "wheels coming off"?

Lemme get this straight…

1) we lose like this every year so we should be used to it
2) if someone does better they would leave and the goal is to have the same coach stay here forever rather than have a great year and someone potentially leave
3) our AD is ultra conservative and so we shouldn’t expect anything different because we are handcuffed to him?

Basic summary of your points?
Your interpretation of my points, so no not a basic summary of my points:

1) losses like this happen. Fleck wasn't fired for losing to Bowling Green. He wasn't fired for repeating the same mistake he made against Bowling Green against Purdue. He won't be fired for this loss.
2) the admin doesn't care about a great football team and won't do the things necessary to bring in a high caliber coach and keep them.
3) Coyle is what he is. He's happy with his hire regardless of on field results. PJ is safe as long as Coyle is AD and no off field scandals errupt.

What if they go 0-12 in 2024?
I don't think either will happen but if so, then 5-6 of those losses will be under an interim HC. You think Coyle would give Fleck that much grace?

Your interpretation of my points, so no not a basic summary of my points:

1) losses like this happen. Fleck wasn't fired for losing to Bowling Green. He wasn't fired for repeating the same mistake he made against Bowling Green against Purdue. He won't be fired for this loss.
2) the admin doesn't care about a great football team and won't do the things necessary to bring in a high caliber coach and keep them.
3) Coyle is what he is. He's happy with his hire regardless of on field results. PJ is safe as long as Coyle is AD and no off field scandals errupt.
And Coylw isn’t going anywhere because at bigger programs the AD actually has to deal with boosters and be a public persona, things Coyle has proven incapable to do effectively.

I don't think either will happen but if so, then 5-6 of those losses will be under an interim HC. You think Coyle would give Fleck that much grace?
What if they lose 45 games in a row?

For the record, I did also roast Clemson and Coach Prime (who I do like but the hype was a bit much). Roast when roast is served.

Put away the script for Gophers losing to Iowa. That doesn't apply here.

Northwestern won 1 game last year.

Bowls are chosen, ya know.

2022-23 Season:
1695570868698.png

Seems like a lot of the Washburn-Mcreavy crowd is chiming in today, thinking that another coach would improve things, or we need to recruit better. There one thing that drives recruiting today.

One. Thing. That's money, and lots of it, and until the Gophers for FB and BB can get big money to pay players what other programs (Oregon for example) can, we will remain mediocre and continue to slide. That's reality. Pay up or don't expect to play the game.

Top Bottom