Fire PJ immediately please

If they're not that good, what's the problem with replacing.

Maybe the next coach will have them at........not that good. That's the whole point.
Referring to CRAB and BSF.

Remember when you were calling for Tanner to get pulled for Athan last year and I said that's dumb because a Freshman QB is going to struggle in his first year? He's struggling. He plays a tough schedule this year. He'll be better next year. It takes time.
He was 14 of 19 tonight with 2 TDS and we put up 31

AK doesn't factor into this loss in the least. Not sure where that came from.

We are very limited at wide receiver. There is little separation. One thing I thought Fleck would do is bring the big time receivers in here. He did for a couple of years.

Well, he sailed a pass in overtime that led to the loss, so there's that. He is also the biggest reason that the Gophers lost last week.

We scored 31 points and put up over 400 yards. The defensive performance was inexcusable and ultimately the reason we lost. I don’t want to hear any other explanations.

Well, he sailed a pass in overtime that led to the loss, so there's that. He is also the biggest reason that the Gophers lost last week.
When you give up 40 and 37, it's probably the qb.

It's Cousins with the Vikings, too.

No wonder with fans like you saying, well if he’s shitty this year, and next year, and the year after that, then maybe I’d start to consider contemplating potentially looking into replacing him, maybe.

We scored 31 points and put up over 400 yards. The defensive performance was inexcusable and ultimately the reason we lost. I don’t want to hear any other explanations.
We'd have put up 40 something if we could have ever stopped them.

When you give up 40 and 37, it's probably the qb.

It's Cousins with the Vikings, too.
Look at the fourth quarter drive chart and you will see exactly why the offense doesn't get off the hook for this loss:
  • 3 plays, 3 yards, 1:36
  • 5 plays, 19 yards, 3:34
  • 5 plays, 30 yards, 2:42
^ If they get one more first down then it's impossible for Northwestern to tie that game.

Also Athan, in particular, had to make a routine play to score a TD in overtime and threw the ball about 4 feet higher than he needed to. No team will consistently win with a erratic QB. He's still developing.

Why is this a crazy thread.

Answer honestly!

Is this program moving forward or going backward? If not sure, you can get back to me in 4 weeks. The answer will be completely obvious.
I said the thread was BS not crazy....:)

Fire the coach.....bench the players....blow it all up.....it is the same old BS that gets posted after every loss around here.

smh.....gopherhole is not going to be a fun place for the next week or so while the morons go crazy posting BS stuff like this thread....
I would argue Gopherhole hasn't been fun for for about 7 years, unless you praise Fleck and all things Fleck.

That said. Fire Fleck is asinine for three reasons:

1) this was bad, but so was Purdue last year. And Bowling Green the year before. I'm disappointed for the players, but a game like this does not a fired coach make

2) the bigger picture is as the college football world continues to evolve, the Gophers chances of being relevant are greatly diminished. A fair question is can we bring in a coach that can be successful and stay? The admin is apathetic at best. Fan support is fickle. Anyone we get here with talent will bolt the same way Peej would have done if he could keep from tripping over his dick annually.

3) As long as Mark Coyle is our AD, Fleck will be coaching here. The program is exactly where he wants it. Safe. The only scandal is what is Peej's new tatoo? Our playing style match's Coyle's personality to a "T".

More people on the board are feeling that this program is on a plateau it can never get off, but tomorrow is a new day and I'm sure the only list Mark Coyle is working on regarding the football team is around how to show his excitement that we have a top 5/10/20 recruiting class in June again next year.

Last edited:

So when does this get into Glen Mason territory? Program is usually competitive but has hit a ceiling. When does it come time to try to elevate higher? It's gonna get a lot tougher starting next season.
Mason got fired not for the blown leads, but his tirade after the last inexplicable loss. Mason embarrassed the AD and personally attacked a reporter. Good chance he might not have been fired if he didn't do that.

Peej is the next attempt at the next level. The problem is the assumption the U wants to move up a level. Until they do, we aren't going anywhere and neither is PJ.

There is hope we'll not face another starting QB for a full game in the B1G season to help us to another magical season in 2023.

Don’t fire him immediately, but his seat has to at least be a little warm. If there isn’t notable improvement by early next season, there’s little reason to think things will improve beyond an occasional 6-8 win season, especially in the new B1G.

We’ve looked like garbage in 3/4 games this season. We should be 1-3 had Nebraska started it’s better QB.

The program has been on a gradual decline since 2019, beating average or bad teams and mostly doing squat against good teams. And now we’re in for a Brewster-like year.

I’ve been pro-PJ generally, but tonight is the most embarrassed I’ve been as a fan since our home loss to South Dakota.

as others have said, Coyle will never fire PJ because Coyle doesn't have the balls to do something like that. it's a moot point.

or a smoot point......

I'm been critical of him a lot (he annoys the heck out of me), but his tenure has been one of the most successful in recent history even with a very broad definition of "recent." Firing him because of a 2-2 start coming offof the run he's been on since and including 2019 would be asinine.
So why doesn't it feel that successful?

I’m not going to excuse away this loss, but every program goes through ebbs and flows over a long stretch of time. We aren’t going to win 9 games again, so to some that may appear we’re going backwards. I prefer to think we are in a valley with more peaks to come in the future.
If Gophs aren't going to win nine again, what do you consider a future "peak"?

Very, very few of those many wins were against ranked teams and/or Iowa/Wisconsin, no titles/B1G champ game appearances, no NY6 bowl. So, lots of wins but has not put it all together. 11-2 was great but isn’t likely to be “historic” losing to both Iowa and Wisconsin and not getting a division title or chance to play in the championship game.

The collapse makes this different. How did the defense turn bad so sharply? That makes no sense.

The offense is more complicated. I don't know if the scheme is limited until the QB has enough experience for more. Or is the way the offense run more the problem. The stalling offense is open to debate.

The collapse made no sense.

He's a great coach. He's certainly not still making hay on a weak 2019 schedule gifted to him, piggybacked with a roster that included possibly the greatest collection of MN high school kids ever...oh, and Antoine Winfield Jr.

We cannot fire PJ for 1 bad season. He will get this thing figured out. A new coach could end up bringing us back to Brewster levels.

Gophers couldn’t hire any better. They have no big boosters, no fan support, no NIL, and no instate talent.
Thanks for a frank look at the situation. Minnesota and other schools stressing academics and unable to compete with the wealthiest programs either on the field or off, may drop out of the elite levels and enjoy something like the Dakota teams, especially N. Dakota State, which has a large and loyal following.

So when does this get into Glen Mason territory? Program is usually competitive but has hit a ceiling. When does it come time to try to elevate higher? It's gonna get a lot tougher starting next season.
It’s been in Mason territory for years.

I would argue Gopherhole hasn't been fun for for about 7 years, unless you praise Fleck and all things Fleck.

That said. Fire Fleck is asinine for three reasons:

1) this was bad, but so was Purdue last year. And Bowling Green the year before. I'm disappointed for the players, but a game like this does not a fired coach make

2) the bigger picture is as the college football world continues to evolve, the Gophers chances of being relevant are greatly diminished. A fair question is can we bring in a coach that can be successful and stay? The admin is apathetic at best. Fan support is fickle. Anyone we get here with talent will bolt the same way Peej would have done if he could keep from tripping over his dick annually.

3) As long as Mark Coyle is our AD, Fleck will be coaching here. The program is exactly where he wants it. Safe. The only scandal is what is Peej's new tatoo? Our playing style match's Coyle's personality to a "T".

More people on the board are feeling that this program is on a plateau it can never get off, but tomorrow is a new day and I'm sure the only list Mark Coyle is working on regarding the football team is around how to show his excitement that we have a top 5/10/20 recruiting class in June again next year.
Lemme get this straight…

1) we lose like this every year so we should be used to it
2) if someone does better they would leave and the goal is to have the same coach stay here forever rather than have a great year and someone potentially leave
3) our AD is ultra conservative and so we shouldn’t expect anything different because we are handcuffed to him?

Basic summary of your points?

PJ was a momentum hire - he brings energy to instilling his culture and the results are good through a couple years.

But, now year 7 it is a different game. The Gophers are left with an imperfect game day coach and their recruiting has stagnated at best.

I liked PJ the builder. When the Gophers can’t even make mediocrity in year 7, are there any signs PJ can regain the shine of 2019? That’s not his schtick.

Because many fans lack patience, lack perspective, and care about weird things. Like when Tubby took us to the second round, we fired him that year, Pitino missed the tournament but won the NIT in year one, and many felt that was improvement because they thought Tubby looked disinterested when he sat on a stoll and Pitino would say funny things on Twitter.

Fast forward to now, and after running off a coach who went to the dance in half of the six years he was here, we are over on the basketball board talking about how just making the NIT in year 3 for Pitino's replacement would be a nice step forward.

Top Bottom