FIRE COYLE!!!!!! If he has hired Ben Johnson

alchemy2u

Reaction score
The uproar must begin. This is incompetence at it's worst!

Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !

Not until you see if it works out or not. I do not like this hire either, but he may prove to be right. You don't go firing guys for what "could" happen. Have to see how it plays out.

Odd that I read posts stating the names Mark Few and Tony Bennett.

I sure hope it works, but it is like a punch in the gut.

I hope it works out, but the Snake 🐍 just put his job on the line.

This is crazy talk, but so is paying a guy who has 0 head coaching experience or any other offers $2m per year 😬

Reactions: MRJ

I hope it works out, but the Snake 🐍 just put his job on the line.
This is what everyone should realize. Coyle took a huge risk with this hire, so I'm going to assume he really saw something that he wanted in Johnson, enough that he is willing to stake his reputation as an AD on it. That's how I'm staying positive.

This is what everyone should realize. Coyle took a huge risk with this hire, so I'm going to assume he really saw something that he wanted in Johnson, enough that he is willing to stake his reputation as an AD on it. That's how I'm staying positive.

I am not thrilled with this pick at all, but this is a good point. There HAS to be something that Coyle saw that makes him want to take this chance. He is a smart dude and has to know that this hire is not going to have the fans standing up and applauding, so he must be have a really really good feeling that this will work out.

It would be one thing if Xavier was on a run in the tournament right now. But they didn't even qualify for the tournament.
To be somewhat fair they only played 21 games due to Covid and had multiple long breaks. They also had a lot of players miss games for various reasons. Only 3 guys played all 21 games.

To be somewhat fair they only played 21 games due to Covid and had multiple long breaks. They also had a lot of players miss games for various reasons. Only 3 guys played all 21 games.
Sure, but they are still not in the tournament and would not have qualified last year either had there been a tournament. It's just a bit shocking to me that the selection is a coach with so little of a track record for a Big Ten job. There is no denying that this is unusual. Does it mean it can't work? No. But it is a huge huge risk. Right now, it seems like the program needs something different as the last guy that was here was inexperienced but had more of a resume than this hire.

The uproar must begin. This is incompetence at it's worst!

Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !
Fire Coyle !
Please, how many basketball coaches really want to coach here? Probably, few. If this program had history of winning Big Ten championships then I would be more angry. It's under performed during it's complete existence.

From the press conference coyle giving much thanks to search committee, maybe there is not as much at stake for coyle individually. Seems like a lot of jobs would otherwise be on the line if it does not work. This approved from the top down.

Please, how many basketball coaches really want to coach here? Probably, few. If this program had history of winning Big Ten championships then I would be more angry. It's under performed during it's complete existence.
It is a B1G head coaching job! Very few open up and it is what you make it to be, not what is was 10-20 years ago.

From the press conference coyle giving much thanks to search committee, maybe there is not as much at stake for coyle individually. Seems like a lot of jobs would otherwise be on the line if it does not work. This approved from the top down.
Yup.

And approved from the top down doesn't happen all that often. Often there are alternate opinions.

For some of you, you always want a yellow brick road laid out just for you. Relax, allow Johnson to do his job. How do you think recruits react when they see all the posts? You folks maybe part of the problem. Yet we may have many more trolls on here than I realize.

It is a B1G head coaching job! Very few open up and it is what you make it to be, not what is was 10-20 years ago.
First BBall coaching search with the completed athletes village in place, I think that's a big part of why I was expecting more. Our facilities now rival any school in the B1G, why does this job suck? As most have pointed out, we gave 8 years to an unproven coach. Should be pretty low pressure to begin at first to implement your vision. Coyle was also masterful in the removal of Pitino. I can't help but think this "search committee" somehow compromised Coyle's ability to hire. Either way, I hope Johnson coaches his ass off this season. We are all hungry for a well coached, disciplined bball team.

For some of you, you always want a yellow brick road laid out just for you. Relax, allow Johnson to do his job. How do you think recruits react when they see all the posts? You folks maybe part of the problem. Yet we may have many more trolls on here than I realize.
I have read several times on this board that recruits could care less about the hole. You really think recruits don't know Johnson has never been a head coach? He is going to have to sell big upfront to the players as much as he will to the fans to keep them engaged. Gopherhole is the least of the U's concerns right now. We all hope for the best, but if you think this criticism is bad, wait until the game thread of the first non-conference loss. The worst criticism of Johnson so far has essentially been his lack of head coaching experience and that his recruiting chops may be a bit overhyped. All other criticism has been directed toward Coyle and the U.

Top Bottom