Final thoughts

Matt Thomas would be a decent WI get.

I would have pointed out that they recruit from their own states or border states.

Tubby doesn't need to recruit well in border states when he can find someone like Mav out west during the spring signing period!!!

i wouldn't panic too much gopher fans. You had chances to win both of these last 2 games. This is how a young team learns. The team has huge upside especially with a healthy mo walker. You played slow today because you had an advantage inside but this team should play fast when it can... they are much better that way. Ball movement in the 2nd half was really good. You guys just need someone to rebound and you'll be in the ncaa tournament. Everything else is there, scoring from multiple places, defense, effort.

I really like this team, it has tons of potential. Stick with them, they are going to be good. Hollins, Hollins, Coleman, Walker, Oto and EE are all first or 2nd year players. Julian is a damn good shooter and so is dre. Austin is better than his current average and oto is going to be great once he gets more minutes. Guarantee the Gophers make the ncaa tournament.. book it!!!!!!!!!

i wouldn't panic too much gopher fans. You had chances to win both of these last 2 games. This is how a young team learns. The team has huge upside especially with a healthy mo walker. You played slow today because you had an advantage inside but this team should play fast when it can... they are much better that way. Ball movement in the 2nd half was really good. You guys just need someone to rebound and you'll be in the ncaa tournament. Everything else is there, scoring from multiple places, defense, effort.

I really like this team, it has tons of potential. Stick with them, they are going to be good. Hollins, Hollins, Coleman, Walker, Oto and EE are all first or 2nd year players. Julian is a damn good shooter and so is dre. Austin is better than his current average and oto is going to be great once he gets more minutes. Guarantee the Gophers make the ncaa tournament.. book it!!!!!!!!!

Why are you not mentioning Maverick anywhere? Now I clearly understand your monicker; If Tubby Smith believes that Maverick should be getting 25 minutes a game, then who are you to omit him from your summary????

Mich and Ill both tried like hell to give us a win but couldn't.

What are you refering to!! Michigan was a 7 Point favorite and Illinois was favored by a dozen!! We played well and in many instances outplayed them, quit being so negative and give these kids a break, they are giving 110%

Gold Vision said:
It is what it is. This team should have Mbakwe, Royce, Devoe, Cobbs, and Iverson. They don't.

If you want to fault the coach for the attrition, that is understandable. Saying this team shouldn't be rebuilding is ignoring the situation.

How can you fault the coach for this attrition? Mbakwa's knee and Royce stealing\fighting security guards is Tubby's fault? Devoe had school issues.

Gophers don't like to get to the line. Need to draw contact, fellas. (44% FTR or so for Mich.. 16% for the U)

Yep, I think that's been one of the bigger issues the past two games. In the Illinois game we were in the bonus with around 12 minutes left in the 1st half and had only four FT attempts in the half after that. Today we were in the bonus with over nine minutes left in the first half and only shot eight free throws. We have four guys shooting over 80% from the line, they just need to get there more often.

Parski1 said:
How can you fault the coach for this attrition? Mbakwa's knee and Royce stealing\fighting security guards is Tubby's fault? Devoe had school issues.

I didn't say I did. I could listen to and understand that argument though.

My point was with all of that roster turnover, it's hard not to see this year as a building year even though we are in year 5. The last thing this program needs I another coaching change.

A team needs to be built to withstand injuries. Royce had known discipline problems when Tubby recruited him. Interviewing and understanding the character of who you are recruiting is a big part of making sure you aren't building a team full of people who will depart with legal or academic problems.

even before losing their best player the Gophers were picked to finish in the bottom 1/3 of the conference. the truth was and still is that the team is a NIT sqaud at best.

Taking a ranked and a recently ranked team to the final seconds on their home courts doesn't suggest to me that this is an NIT squad at best. Winning on the road in the Big Ten isn't easy. I don't think many, including myself, expected us to do as well as we have after we lost Mbakwe. Before we give up on this team, lets see what happens in the next few games.

It is what it is. This team should have Mbakwe, Royce, Devoe, Cobbs, and Iverson. They don't.

If you want to fault the coach for the attrition, that is understandable. Saying this team shouldn't be rebuilding is ignoring the situation.

Boom!

I thought it was a good game. Gophers have those spells when they can't buy a basket. I thought Oto looked better, I like some of the things Eliason did. Coleman had a nice block on Hardaway. Armelin had some points off the bench. Trade point guards and this is no contest. I think it's going to take till the end of the year or even next year before Andre Hollins is ready. They're a pretty gutty team, hard to shake. Next 5 games.....4 W's?

Nice post. Good point about swapping PG's w/ Michigan & hopefully Dre Hollins developing towards the end of the season or next.

A team needs to be built to withstand injuries. Royce had known discipline problems when Tubby recruited him. Interviewing and understanding the character of who you are recruiting is a big part of making sure you aren't building a team full of people who will depart with legal or academic problems.
If Tubby hadn't signed Royce everyone would criticize him for not signing the state's best talent and trusting people from elsewhere.

Am I the only one that thinks Mav starting over Dre is the best thing for the team right now? Mav is the only true PG we have until Dre develops, he may not put up good numbers but I think he at least keeps the offense going (granted our offense isn't getting anything done, but I don't think we can fault Mav for that).

Top Bottom