FIFTEEN more test positive for COVID-19

The CDC data shows that health care personnel get flu shots around 80% of the time in the past 5 years. I have worked in health care for over 30 years and do not agree that not receiving vaccines is prevalent philosophy. The majority of us trust the science.
Around 20% isn’t that far from 33% saying No when you consider the situation.
I’m shocked it’s not near unanimous believing in the science is my point.

Many/most health care facilities implicitly or explicitly pressure workers to come in sick despite whatever protocols are written. Clearly not ideal. Mask up.

The flu has a shorter latent period than COVID-19, which may help with iatrogenic spread...
This is a typical Trump like statement using Many/most without naming who or what is in the many/most.
NO health care system worth its salt pressures health care workers to work while sick.
Recently in some hospitals that are understaffed-nurses and technicians are the last thing hospital administrators budget for- have suggested Covid-19 positive nurses work anyway.
That was quickly shot down.
So Pompous name the facilities in the "Many/most".

This is a typical Trump like statement using Many/most without naming who or what is in the many/most.
NO health care system worth its salt pressures health care workers to work while sick.
Recently in some hospitals that are understaffed-nurses and technicians are the last thing hospital administrators budget for- have suggested Covid-19 positive nurses work anyway.
That was quickly shot down.
So Pompous name the facilities in the "Many/most".

I don’t know what fantasy world you live in but it must be nice there. It may make you uncomfortable to hear this but surveys reveal a significant majority of physicians will work while ill with flu/cold symptoms, and slightly lower numbers of nurses and ancillary staff. The reasons are many but probably prime among them are if one doesn’t show up the train screeches to a halt or the work is redistributed to the extent possible because business is run close to the bone. On a personal level I’ve heard many stories of supervisors and managers pressure employees or otherwise harass them for calling out. Take it for what it’s worth and it ain’t much as anecdotes and surveys...

I don’t know what fantasy world you live in but it must be nice there. It may make you uncomfortable to hear this but surveys reveal a significant majority of physicians will work while ill with flu/cold symptoms, and slightly lower numbers of nurses and ancillary staff. The reasons are many but probably prime among them are if one doesn’t show up the train screeches to a halt or the work is redistributed to the extent possible because business is run close to the bone. On a personal level I’ve heard many stories of supervisors and managers pressure employees or otherwise harass them for calling out. Take it for what it’s worth and it ain’t much as anecdotes and surveys...
Name the surveys.

Keep in mind that PE is just a lay person working in medical sales out in California.

Keep in mind that PE is just a lay person working in medical sales out in California.

Sure, sure.

While amusing your constant guessing - attorney, salesman, clerk, student, is losing its luster a little. I had you pegged as a teacher on falsified disability and you didn’t disagree. Maybe I’m an FBI profiler?

Sure, sure.

While amusing your constant guessing - attorney, salesman, clerk, student, is losing its luster a little. I had you pegged as a teacher on falsified disability and you didn’t disagree. Maybe I’m an FBI profiler?
I did disagree

You desire to maintain your autonomy above all else (which I don't blame anyone who posts here), yet demand that your posts be treated with expert credibility.

Does not compute. You sacrifice one or the other.

I did disagree

You desire to maintain your autonomy above all else (which I don't blame anyone who posts here), yet demand that your posts be treated with expert credibility.

Does not compute. You sacrifice one or the other.

I don’t “demand” anything. Opinions are my own and you can take them or leave them.

I don’t “demand” anything. Opinions are my own and you can take them or leave them.
Not at all true. Your tone and attitude constantly betray this wishful projection. Along with often making statements that have no backup.

Not at all true. Your tone and attitude constantly betray this wishful projection. Along with often making statements that have no backup.

Do I create baseless personal attacks every other post? You are a proficient poster of one thing - accusing others of behaviors you are guilty of. You think it’s cute, or clever but its nether and is a bit annoying. Throw out something with some flesh on the bone from time to time. Accept others may not agree with you. That’s ok.

I’m happy to post references and links to relevant expert opinions for facts and often do. For opinions, observations, anecdotes - that isn’t really necessary, right?

Saw this rundown on twitter for the B1G:

Ohio State - paused team activities
Michigan - paused team activities
Minnesota - 47 positive tests
Indiana - Star QB out for season with injury
Wisconsin - has only played 3 games
Michigan is 2-4
Penn State is 1-5
Nebraska is 1-4

Heck of a season for the conference.
Another dagger in the absolutely pathetic and incompetent and embarrassment situation regarding how that idiot Kevin Warren and the B1G handled this situation from the beginning.

Anyone on the planet with half a brain knows that flu ramps up in November and December every year and there were reasons to believe this would be the same with COVID. They could have 6-8 games in the books already if they had gotten their shit together like the SEC and Big 12, et al and played games in September. Some people are leaders, some are followers. Epic fail on Warren, from Day One

Another dagger in the absolutely pathetic and incompetent and embarrassment situation regarding how that idiot Kevin Warren and the B1G handled this situation from the beginning.

Anyone on the planet with half a brain knows that flu ramps up in November and December every year and there were reasons to believe this would be the same with COVID. They could have 6-8 games in the books already if they had gotten their shit together like the SEC and Big 12, et al and played games in September. Some people are leaders, some are followers. Epic fail on Warren, from Day One

Kevin Warren, like pro sports commissioners, works for the administration of the member institutions. He was the voice of the decisions but was hardly making his own calls on when and how to have a football season.

Plenty of blame to go on athletic departments, university presidents, and their legal and medical counsels

Do I create baseless personal attacks every other post? You are a proficient poster of one thing - accusing others of behaviors you are guilty of. You think it’s cute, or clever but its nether and is a bit annoying. Throw out something with some flesh on the bone from time to time. Accept others may not agree with you. That’s ok.

I’m happy to post references and links to relevant expert opinions for facts and often do. For opinions, observations, anecdotes - that isn’t really necessary, right?
When you take the tone and dismissive attitude to do, pretending like you're an expert opinion provider, yet refuse to prove your credibility, it does.

You're a fool if you think it's Warren's fault that teams are getting covid.

You're a fool if you think it's Warren's fault that teams are getting covid.

Nope. Only for postponing the season to lay the 8 games over a time frame where everybody knew it would be at it's worst. The 8 game season could've been complete on the same week it was started.

Nope. Only for postponing the season to lay the 8 games over a time frame where everybody knew it would be at it's worst. The 8 game season could've been complete on the same week it was started.

Erring on the side of caution is in no way "embarrassing", "pathetic", or "incompetent".

When you take the tone and dismissive attitude to do, pretending like you're an expert opinion provider, yet refuse to prove your credibility, it does.

Haha, this is literally you nearly every post dude.

Have you noticed my moniker? 🤷‍♂️

My “tone” and “dismissive attitude”? Grow some skin, teach. Is this a report card? You have, by far, one of the worst “tones” on this site regularly trashing anyone and everyone, routinely with absurdly vast blanket prejudice and bias, if they stray outside of your worldview. If you’re going to dish it out you have to be able to take it.

Now, what facts did you have an issue with? I’m not even sure at this point. Go ahead.

Around 20% isn’t that far from 33% saying No when you consider the situation.
I’m shocked it’s not near unanimous believing in the science is my point.
33 is 65% higher than 20. That's pretty far in my book. 98% of physicians and 92% of nurses get flu shots.

Erring on the side of caution is in no way "embarrassing", "pathetic", or "incompetent".

Do you think football is risk-free? Driving to work? Walking in Mpls? Was there solid evidence for the myocarditis concerns? Not really, but it took a month or so for opinions from outside the echo chamber to be heard.

Think that a whole lot more people than that will take the vaccine. Just that millions don't want to be in the first bunch of people taking it.
I bet you are right. Our amazing health care workers are going to be early adopters and hopefully we don't see any big issues with it as it's rolled out.

Do you think football is risk-free? Driving to work? Walking in Mpls? Was there solid evidence for the myocarditis concerns? Not really, but it took a month or so for opinions from outside the echo chamber to be heard.

Which echo chamber is that? The one where everyone is yelling about the covid hoax? Nah...your right. Since football isn't risk-free....we should throw caution to the wind and heap on as much risk as we want. Helmets? Nonsense.

Which echo chamber is that? The one where everyone is yelling about the covid hoax? Nah...your right. Since football isn't risk-free....we should throw caution to the wind and heap on as much risk as we want. Helmets? Nonsense.

Is this directed at me? Covid hoax? No, but the myocarditis “threat” was pretty large this summer, you may recall, and amplified far beyond any known facts.

COVID-19 was thought to be mostly benign in the 18-22 year old cohort in terms of absolute risk and this has proven to be the case amongst college football players. Programs have been circumspect with information (and they should be) but AFAIK there hasn’t been an outsized rash of clinical myocarditis or other severe complications in this group. Before the season there were heightened talks and worries of projected numbers of deaths, hospitalizations of college players. These were thought to be and have proven to be very rare events at this age, in line with other risks to life and limb. Maybe we just haven’t heard?

Guess I gotta eat crow after teasing Badgers about their flippant sideline mask policy. Sounds like the Gophers are actually doing worse than them at their peak numbers. Total bummer.

Is this directed at me? Covid hoax? No, but the myocarditis “threat” was pretty large this summer, you may recall, and amplified far beyond any known facts.

COVID-19 was thought to be mostly benign in the 18-22 year old cohort in terms of absolute risk and this has proven to be the case amongst college football players. Programs have been circumspect with information (and they should be) but AFAIK there hasn’t been an outsized rash of clinical myocarditis or other severe complications in this group. Before the season there were heightened talks and worries of projected numbers of deaths, hospitalizations of college players. These were thought to be and have proven to be very rare events at this age, in line with other risks to life and limb. Maybe we just haven’t heard?

You responded to my post with the silly "there are risks everywhere" angle. Since football players risk their bodies playing the game....why shouldn't they risk something like covid. It's a horribly flawed argument.

Furthermore....the long term effects of covid are not yet known. Myocarditis is one of those things that could go undetected in acute cases. So downplaying the potential harm because you haven't heard about hundreds of cases after a few months basically confirms that you had a predisposition against caution in the first place. Which is surprising since, if I remember correctly, you've been pretty middle of the road on the whole covid situation.

So there could be hundreds of cases of athletes with acute signs of myocarditis that go undiagnosed. May not have an immediate impact....but certainly could later on.

Beyond its scientific backing, the notion that a COVID-19 patient might wind up with long-term lung scarring or breathing issues has the ring of truth. After all, we hear the stories, right? The virus can leave survivors explaining how they struggled to breathe, or how it can feel, in the words of actress Alyssa Milano, “like an elephant is sitting on my chest.”

We’ve also known for a while that some COVID-19 patients’ hearts are taking a beating, too—but over the past few weeks, the evidence has strengthened that cardiac damage can happen even among people who have never displayed symptoms of coronavirus infection. And these frightening findings help explain why college and professional sports leagues are proceeding with special caution as they make decisions about whether or not to play

From an offensive lineman at Indiana University dealing with possible heart issues to a University of Houston player opting out of the season because of “complications with my heart,” the news has been coming fast and furiously. More than a dozen athletes at Power Five conference schools have been identified as having myocardial injury following coronavirus infection, according to ESPN.

Though it often resolves without incident, myocarditis can lead to severe complications such as abnormal heart rhythms, chronic heart failure and even sudden death. Just a few weeks ago, a former Florida State basketball player, Michael Ojo, died of suspected heart complications just after recovering from a bout of COVID-19 in Serbia, where he was playing pro ball.

Here’s the background: Myocarditis appears to result from the direct infection of the virus attacking the heart, or possibly as a consequence of the inflammation triggered by the body’s overly aggressive immune response. And it is not age-specific: In The Lancet, doctors recently reported on an 11-year-old child with multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C)—a rare illness—who died of myocarditis and heart failure. At autopsy, pathologists were able to identify coronavirus particles present in the child’s cardiac tissue, helping to explain the virus’ direct involvement in her death. In fact, researchers are reporting the presence of viral protein in the actual heart muscle, of six deceased patients. Of note is the fact that these patients were documented to have died of lung failure, having had neither clinical signs of heart involvement, nor a prior history of cardiac disease.

Top Bottom