FIFTEEN more test positive for COVID-19

Won't be a normal spring either. Predicting a huge uptick after the entire holiday season. I'm hopeful for a decent fall though if everyone will just get the shots and follow the rules for a while.
They should just extend the lockdown restrictions through NYD. Pull the band-aid off and do what needs to be done.

Get Jan/Feb looking like May, then the vaccines should start coming into effect for the earlier tiers of people hopefully by March/April? Normalcy, at least in the sense of very low case counts nationwide, by summer? 🙏

They should just extend the lockdown restrictions through NYD. Pull the band-aid off and do what needs to be done.

Get Jan/Feb looking like May, then the vaccines should start coming into effect for the earlier tiers of people hopefully by March/April? Normalcy, at least in the sense of very low case counts nationwide, by summer? 🙏

Problem with the lockdown is it's not effective anymore.

NFL had this issue with many of their players going to various Thanksgivings.

People around here, even people who I know who follow it in the past are... "Oh, yeh, we're following it, except I just had this one little thing I had to do at a friends place, but we were safe."

Everyone is still doing their thing.

The vaccines better work.

People around here, even people who I know who follow it in the past are... "Oh, yeh, we're following it, except I just had this one little thing I had to do at a friends place, but we were safe."

This is correct.

A B- strategy that people follow is better than an A strategy that is ignored and turned into an F

So Pompous do you have some magic to make not only the Midwest surge settle down but also the rest of the country when millions ignored the pleas of elected officials, public health officials and most importantly the front line health care workers risking their lives who begged people to not celebrate the holiday with anyone not in their living in their house and not to travel?
Magical thinking seems to have spread from the White House to a good portion of this country including you.
Still pissed off that the Badgers vomited all over themselves against Northwestern, eh? Time to let that go

Still pissed off that the Badgers vomited all over themselves against Northwestern, eh? Time to let that go
How does that comment relate to the issue at hand, the effect the pandemic has had on BIG football?
It must be because you do not have an answer.

Could be a few Gophers, including Offensive Lineman, got together without following protocols. That's happened in some of the other Colleges where larger outbreaks have happened. Even the NFL hasn't been immune.

The Denver Broncos, if they play tomorrow, will be without all their Quaterbacks. One tested positive earlier. Then the others all met with him despite being told not to. They lied about it during contact-tracing interviews about exposure, spent extensive time together without masks and didn't consistently wear their tracking devices.

Doubt the Gopher players would lie about it and can't believe they wear any "tracking devices" either.

But gathering without masks or keeping safe distances? That sounds pretty plausible.
The NFL making the Broncos play anyway was a joke and travesty to football. Meanwhile they bend over backwards for the Ravens and others.

Florida State unofficially canceled their (2-6) season with 3 games remaining by tying a couple cases through the entire program via contact tracing.

Any program could likely do that.

Minnesota actually has a pile of cases. I would be OK with us being honest about it, saying this isn’t working to play football in a pandemic that’s hitting the Midwest hardest, and showing some leadership among all the college and pro teams trying to muddle through.

I’m no coronavirus doomsayer. Our guys will likely be fine. But this maybe we will play, maybe we will cancel, or maybe we will send a skeleton crew thing is growing more absurd by the day. Let’s just call the whole thing off. Honestly and directly.

Usually, you want to hear the players opinion but, you (coach, administration, AD) make the final decision. In this case, I think I'd let the players decide. Are they exhausted from the pressure of dealing with this? Do they want to try and play another game or two? Or would they prefer to end it?
Respond and follow their wishes.

The NFL making the Broncos play anyway was a joke and travesty to football. Meanwhile they bend over backwards for the Ravens and others.
Yeah. Really inconsistent and interesting.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but the vaccine is facing an uphill battle. Eliminate kids, pregnant women and others who are not suitable to receive the vaccine and we need a very high percentage of people eligible to receive the vaccine to actually get it. From all reports many, many people will say no.
Hospital workers surveys are 33% yes, 33% NO, 33% I don't know. If they are not all in....how we gonna get near unanimous participation from the general public?

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but the vaccine is facing an uphill battle. Eliminate kids, pregnant women and others who are not suitable to receive the vaccine and we need a very high percentage of people eligible to receive the vaccine to actually get it. From all reports many, many people will say no.
Hospital workers surveys are 33% yes, 33% NO, 33% I don't know. If they are not all in....how we gonna get near unanimous participation from the general public?

Out of the "33% No and 33% I don't know", I wonder what percentage already contracted COVID and don't feel that they need a vaccine. From what I hear, many health professionals have already been exposed.

Out of the "33% No and 33% I don't know", I wonder what percentage already contracted COVID and don't feel that they need a vaccine. From what I hear, many health professionals have already been exposed.
I don't know the answer but don't believe that's the reason. My wife works in healthcare. There is a large segment of workers who don't immunize their kids, get flu shots etc etc It's just a prevalent philosophy.

Bolded: not correct. The world isn't binary.

Say this was the case: without the lockdown, and just leaving the restrictions we had, the spread would be 23% lower than if there were no restrictions at all, and with the lockdown, the spread is 46% lower.

Neither are 0%, and neither are 100%. The world isn't binary. Thus, it's possible for the lockdown to still have some positive effect, without being "perfect".

Kids don't spread it nearly as much. Hence why it's always been about the 18+ year old population.

Pregnant women? That's who you're worried about? Very small segment. Those who are "not suitable", tiny, tiny sliver of people who might have an allergic reaction.

18+ population is around 75% of total population. Even if only half those people have immunity to the virus, either from getting it naturally, or from the vaccine, that will cause a rapid decline in the spread of the virus. If we can then have a surge in testing, contact tracing, and isolating people who get it ... we can lick this.

You only need like 60-70% immunity in a population to achieve herd immunity, not anywhere near 100%. So that helps a great deal.

It was. Figure they were set on punishing the QBs and the Broncos. The QB's for blatantly ignoring protocols. To the point of disabling the trackers and then lying about it. The Broncos for letting it happen.

Problem is, what most aren't aware of, if the game is cancelled nobody gets paid. Remember playing in High School? They'd have a drill like a passing drill. If a pass was dropped everybody had to take a lap. Cancelling the game because of the rouge QBs would REALLY punish everybody.

Add in the network contract and playoff implications and could explain why they are bending over backwards to get that Baltimore/Pittsburgh game in.

Last edited:

From all reports many, many people will say no.

Healthcare workers don't get to choose to not get an annual flu vaccine or have documented HepB immunity (at least not in any reputable hospital)--why would this be any different?

How does that comment relate to the issue at hand, the effect the pandemic has had on BIG football?
It must be because you do not have an answer.
You will forgive all of us if we think your opinion of the season being ridiculous and not legitimate would be different if your beloved team were undefeated and ranked in the top 5 in the country. Color us all a tiny bit skeptical

I don't know the answer but don't believe that's the reason. My wife works in healthcare. There is a large segment of workers who don't immunize their kids, get flu shots etc etc It's just a prevalent philosophy.
I do not know where or how your wife works in health care but organizations that care about their patients and personnel insist that they be immunized or not work.
If they are stupid enough not to have their children immunized they really do not belong in health care.

Kids don't spread it nearly as much. Hence why it's always been about the 18+ year old population.

Pregnant women? That's who you're worried about? Very small segment. Those who are "not suitable", tiny, tiny sliver of people who might have an allergic reaction.

18+ population is around 75% of total population. Even if only half those people have immunity to the virus, either from getting it naturally, or from the vaccine, that will cause a rapid decline in the spread of the virus. If we can then have a surge in testing, contact tracing, and isolating people who get it ... we can lick this.

You only need like 60-70% immunity in a population to achieve herd immunity, not anywhere near 100%. So that helps a great deal.
All I can tell you is what I read. You can’t get to 60% without a high number of eligible getting the vaccine. Supposedly 16 million women are pregnant at any given time. I read the health care workers survey and asked my wife about it . She was not at all surprised.
She works in a health care system with thousands of workers. Flu shots and immunizations are voluntary. Why would they be surveying health care workers if most had no choice and were required to get the vaccine?
Common sense is not very common.

All I can tell you is what I read. You can’t get to 60% without a high number of eligible getting the vaccine. Supposedly 16 million women are pregnant at any given time. I read the health care workers survey and asked my wife about it . She was not at all surprised.
She works in a health care system with thousands of workers. Flu shots and immunizations are voluntary. Why would they be surveying health care workers if most had no choice and were required to get the vaccine?
Common sense is not very common.
Well if kids don't, then again we're only talking about 60-70% of the spreaders, not of the total population. So that's about 75% or around 250M people. https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-03.pdf

Let's round up to 113M ages 18-44 years old, and half of that is 56.5M females capable of being pregnant (roughly). 16M of that would be nearly 1 in 3. You're saying at any one time, nearly 1 in 3 females who appears of appropriate age to be pregnant, is pregnant? I'm not buying that. I could go 1.6M. That would be around 0.6% of the 250M total covid spreading population.

After all of that, your point is not wrong at all. If enough people refuse the vaccine, and also have no desire to go out and get natural immunity, it will delay the end of the pandemic.

I do not know where or how your wife works in health care but organizations that care about their patients and personnel insist that they be immunized or not work.
If they are stupid enough not to have their children immunized they really do not belong in health care.

Many/most health care facilities implicitly or explicitly pressure workers to come in sick despite whatever protocols are written. Clearly not ideal. Mask up.

The flu has a shorter latent period than COVID-19, which may help with iatrogenic spread...

The CDC recommends workers in health care settings, including hospitals and long-term care facilities, get an annual flu vaccine. To improve vaccination rates of workers in these settings, some states require health care facilities to provide flu vaccines to their employees and/or to report to the state the vaccination status of their employees.

Sources

KFF analysis of state statutes and state immunization websites

Definitions

Offer Vaccine
: hospital or long-term care facility is required to offer the flu vaccine to employees
Report Worker Status: hospital or long-term care facility is required to document whether employees have received an annual flu vaccine and report that information to the state
Offer Vaccine and Report Status: hospital or long-term care facility is required to offer the flu vaccine to workers and to report whether workers have received the vaccine

Footnotes
  1. Employees who are not vaccinated against the flu are required to wear a surgical mask when delivering direct patient care.
  2. Health care employees who decline vaccination may be subject to relocation or change of assignment.

Categories

Saw this rundown on twitter for the B1G:

Ohio State - paused team activities
Michigan - paused team activities
Minnesota - 47 positive tests
Indiana - Star QB out for season with injury
Wisconsin - has only played 3 games
Michigan is 2-4
Penn State is 1-5
Nebraska is 1-4

Heck of a season for the conference.

The CDC data shows that health care personnel get flu shots around 80% of the time in the past 5 years. I have worked in health care for over 30 years and do not agree that not receiving vaccines is prevalent philosophy. The majority of us trust the science.

Michigan is 2-4
Penn State is 1-5
Nebraska is 1-4

Maryland missed two games
Michigan state 2-3
Rutgers 2-3
Illinois 2-3
Purdue 2-3
Northwestern missing a game this week

Iowa 4-2, out of contention (but the least craziness right now)

Michigan is 2-4
Penn State is 1-5
Nebraska is 1-4

With the marquee teams out of contention for CFP (barring a glimmer of non-partisan cooperation with SEC...) I wonder if the Big Ten pauses the season, reschedules some games, and tries to create some revenue via a plan C (or D, or Preparation H in this case) with a postseason with the PAC 12 or just calls it a day with whatever hay they could get into the barn.

Not sure where you get your info but an extraordinary majority of nurses, docs, pharmacists etc do have their children immunized.

Not sure where you get your info but an extraordinary majority of nurses, docs, pharmacists etc do have their children immunized.
I agree. I meant not just an odd duck. You could find a small group..more than a couple people. Remember 33% firmly said No to the vaccine. And 33% were unsure.
How can that possibly be???
Flu shots and COVID-19 vaccines are not mandated but strongly suggested, as the post above confirms.

Top Bottom