Ferentz/N.D. ?

Fair enough; looks like we've even seen of them around here!:D

Good Luck in your, hopefully Non- BCS Bowl Game MplsHawk!

Good point about some Iowa visitors to the Hole-hopefully its not all Iowa visitors. :pig: Thanks, and good luck to you guys as well. I have no idea whether a BCS game is truly on the line or not, but I will be heading down for the game this weekend and hope for both fan bases' sake that its a good one.

I'm all for friendly rivalry (although I'm not much for smack talk), but I really give it up for Ferentz. Like it or not, the guy runs a tremendous program top-to-bottom. Millen was gushing over the guy last Saturday and I pretty much feel the same way. Sure, he's had a down year or two (and that's going to bring out the anti-Santa Claus crowd in any market), but Ferentz has been money since he's been in Iowa.

I doubt very much he'd leave for Notre Dame and it's not because he couldn't or wouldn't do well there. Who needs dealing with that pressure? Expectations pretty much always exceed reality for that fan base so even if you win 9 games, there's a set of chuckleheads out there complaining that you didn't win 10.

I've read somewhere that Weis' buyout is less than $18 million, but money's never been a problem at Notre Dame. I just find it hard to believe that they wouldn't give him another year, as he's recruited really (and I mean really) well. I'm firmly in the camp that believes talent usually prevails, but there's something wrong on that coaching staff if they can't get more out of this team. They've had their share of close losses, but they've also had their share of close wins.

I'm interested to see what happens.

There is no way in hell Ferentz is going to Notre Dame. Why the hell would he ever even consider that.

Petey - you're the jinx in all of this. The second you come out talking trash last year about how the Iowa program will never win nine games again and Ferentz is no good, well, they go out and win nine games last year (counting the bowl) and nine games this year. Good call there:)

Gruden will not be the coach at Notre Dame because he just signed a multi-year deal with ESPN with expanded duties like college bowl games.

The latest rumor today from Colin Cowherd is that Bob Stoops and Ferentz are on ND's short list. Stoops actually is quoted as saying he is "interested in Notre Dame." Plus he is from Ohio and coached at Iowa, He feels he knows the midwest well for recruiting. Stoops to ND would be huge news

Well it appears you can take Stoops off the list, between Weis and Stoops alone Notre Dame would have to pay 7 million next year in buyouts alone before then having to pay 5 million or so a year. 12 million plus for the first year alone is a hefty price for any team to pay, even Notre Dame. Plus then the rest of the Weis buyout over subsequent years. Stoops was not quoted saying that and has denied this. Stoops also can get recruits in to Oklahoma that he cannot at Notre Dame. I think if Stoops was going to leave Oklahoma he would have done it last year when from all accounts he had the first shot at the Denver Broncos job due to his close friendship with the Broncos owner.

I have a dumb question or three

Disclaimer -> I've got two degrees from UMN but have lived/worked near Des Moines for 25 1/2 years.

At age 49, I do remember when Notre Dame was one of the 'plum gigs' in America. In 1984, it was a step up for Lou Holtz to move frim Mpls to South Bend. But now? An wful lot has changed since 1984.

I *honestly* question why Ferentz (or anyone) would consider a move from Iowa to South Bend as a step up? Do any/all of you honestly consider Notre Dame to be a superior program to Iowa any longer? I don't. Frankly, the only program that ND is superior to in the B10 is Indiana, or maybe also Northwestern, anymore. That's imho of course.

Disclaimer -> I've got two degrees from UMN but have lived/worked near Des Moines for 25 1/2 years.

At age 49, I do remember when Notre Dame was one of the 'plum gigs' in America. In 1984, it was a step up for Lou Holtz to move frim Mpls to South Bend. But now? An wful lot has changed since 1984.

I *honestly* question why Ferentz (or anyone) would consider a move from Iowa to South Bend as a step up? Do any/all of you honestly consider Notre Dame to be a superior program to Iowa any longer? I don't. Frankly, the only program that ND is superior to in the B10 is Indiana, or maybe also Northwestern, anymore. That's imho of course.

Depends on what what means by "plum." I think it is always going to be a top-tier program with top-tier athletes. They have a national fan base and a Notre Dame education (and the post-graduation network it provides) is top-notch. Hence, they are always going to recruit fairly well and, by that, should be able to provide an on-field product with a more-than-reasonable chance for success.

Plus, the coach at Notre Dame instantly becomes a celebrity (except maybe for Gerry Faust). They are going to be very well paid and, again with the national fan base, be the subject of fairly intense football interest. Notre Dame football, given its tradition, is something people pay attention to.

The downside of course is that with such an intense following, especially among wealthy alumni, every coaching decision is dissected and scrutinized. As I said in an earlier post, nothing short of a national championship is viewed as a disappointment by a certain segment of the fan base. In other words, it's a tough place to coach.

I could see Pat Fitzgerald ending up there. He's probably what that program needs. Bright, energetic, young guy with an obvious passion for football. Ara Parseghian is another guy who went from Northwestern to Notre Dame and did a marvelous job with the Irish (of course, it was the 1960s through the early 1970s), so the precedent is there.

I find it interesting that the sentiment is 'why would you leave Iowa for ND?' Yet no one bats an eye at the idea of Bob Stoops leaving Oklahoma for ND? ND may or may not be a better job then Iowa at this point (it still is, but not by so much that you can't say no) but Oklahoma is a far better job then either of them. I really don't understand why Stoops would even consider such a thing.

I find it interesting that the sentiment is 'why would you leave Iowa for ND?' Yet no one bats an eye at the idea of Bob Stoops leaving Oklahoma for ND? ND may or may not be a better job then Iowa at this point (it still is, but not by so much that you can't say no) but Oklahoma is a far better job then either of them. I really don't understand why Stoops would even consider such a thing.
I find it hard to believe that Stoops would consider this myself. I admit I only posted what I had heard from Colin's radio show "The Herd." Colin quoted an unnamed source for Stoops' statement as being interested in ND. Was just passing along the latest news from "The Herd's" monday show. I do admit the Colin reaches for news or gossip alot, but he does have some pretty good scoops from legitimate sources from time to time, if this was one of those, I have no idea.

The problem with the celebrity status the ND job entails is Ferentz. Ferentz is a guy who does not want all that attention. He thrives when he team is given no shot and is an underdog, much like Iowa has been all year. If he took the ND job this would all change and he would be expected to win at a high level. Iowa fans (rational ones) are happy with an 8-4 year and when that special year comes around they are ecstatic. When Ferentz has had the preseason hype (see 2006), Iowa has performed worse. For Ferentz to succeed at ND would need the same situation he has at Iowa which is a bunch of hard nosed players who buy into the system and bust their as* every day at practice. He would not fit in at ND and I don't think he would ever take that job.

But...but...but...Weiss has that program headed in the right direction.......

I could see Pat Fitzgerald ending up there. He's probably what that program needs. Bright, energetic, young guy with an obvious passion for football. Ara Parseghian is another guy who went from Northwestern to Notre Dame and did a marvelous job with the Irish (of course, it was the 1960s through the early 1970s), so the precedent is there.

Pat Fitzgerald would be a great hire by ND, but I can't see him taking the job. The guy seems like he bleeds NU purple. Maybe money or fame would help him get over that, but I have a hard time picturing him leaving NU.

True MplsHawk. I'm just thinking that it may wear on Fitzgerald that Northwestern's ceiling is probably going to remain that of consistent mid-level Big 10 team with a once-in-a-decade shot at the title. He seems too competitive to accept that. No question the guy will be able to move up to another program if he truly wanted to. Sharp guy.

The apple cart has been tipped. What once was isn't. Barriers that were once real are fading. ND is a coaches graveyard with little upside with the exception of a nice fat paycheck.

Any school with size and academic credibility can succeed. It only takes time, commitment and vision.

Ferentz has a fat paycheck, has a decent program, and isn't a fool. Well maybe a little, he is in Iowa afterall.

Top Bottom