Ferentz/N.D. ?

Duluthguy

Reaction score
College Football Live reported today that "sources" say that Iowa's Ferentz will be considered to replace Charlie Cheeseburger at ND. Hope the rumor doesn't distract the players this week.

It happens every time Iowa has a good season. Just mere talk.

Very unlikely.

Ferentz' mentor was Joe Moore - a coach that ended up suing Notre Dame for age discrimination. Notre Dame is the only program I've heard Ferentz be directly critical of in the press. I get the impression he does not have a lot of respect for how that program is run.

I would be very surprised if Ferentz ever left Iowa for a different college position. He seems to be set in very nice there and is one of the highest paid coaches in all of college football, no real reason to shake up a cozy lifestyle he has down there.

Now, he came from the NFL so it really wouldn't surprise me if he left for an NFL HC position??? But who knows, maybe some of the Iowa fans and post on here can give us the real scoop.

I'm sure Notre Dame would consider it....unfortunately, both sides need to want it to happen, and I doubt that's the case here.

Ferentz is not leaving Iowa for another college job. Maybe for the NFL, but even that is unlikely at this point (he had a chance to take the Jags job a few years back and turned it down). He's already well paid and extremely comfortable where he is.

The conventional wisdom is that he would not consider any job - college or NFL - until his youngest kid graduates high school. (I think he's a sophomore currently). Ferentz has been on the record saying he is looking forward to having three kids graduate from City High, after traveling and changing schools so much early in his coaching career.

After that, who knows if the NFL comes calling again.

However, what many people forget is that Ferentz was at Iowa for a pretty long stretch under Hayden Fry as well. He's spent close to 20 years as a coach in Iowa City all told - and I think he could be Iowa's Paterno/Bowden/Fry type figure.

Very unlikely.

Ferentz' mentor was Joe Moore - a coach that ended up suing Notre Dame for age discrimination. Notre Dame is the only program I've heard Ferentz be directly critical of in the press. I get the impression he does not have a lot of respect for how that program is run.

uhh, he would be the one running the program.

and no matter how down to earth he tries to seem, he WOULD leave for the right $ amount.

Ferentz is not leaving Iowa for another college job. Maybe for the NFL, but even that is unlikely at this point (he had a chance to take the Jags job a few years back and turned it down). He's already well paid and extremely comfortable where he is.

But if they lose to Minnesota on Saturday a big chunk of your fan base may be screaming for his head; just like they did in 2007 after the Purdue game.:eek: Some were still saying it after the Michigan State game last year, though most of the venom then was directed at the Offensive Coordinator.

We've got a number of fans who would rather see the Gophers lose just so they can say "I told you so" about Brewster. The juries still out on Brewster, so even a lot of supporters of the program have no real idea how he'll end -up doing. Neither do the actual trolls from Iowa or Wisconsin by the way.

But Ferentz?

He had a hell-of-a track record by 2007. I just will never get how quick fans were to forget that because of a bad streak.

I hope this year's streak goes to three before the Hawkeyes break it in a Bowl Game. :clap:

Ferentz does not seem to crave attention. To consider ND you have to love attention. It is no longer a great job.

The Notre Dame job has Brian Kelly or Jon Gruden written all over it.

I highly doubt Ferentz would leave for either another college job or the pros. I believe he's already had chances to leave for the pros and said no. Part of that is probably his kids, but he's got a really good gig and he does a really good job.

It was fun watching the Irish lose again the other night. Talk about a team with a ton of talent that has trouble playing to its talent level. Weis is a decent "X and O" guy, but he may be one of those awesome assistants who isn't a head guy, especially a head guy in a fish bowl like Notre Dame. My guess is he'll get another year and his recruiting has been among the best in the nation. Probably just a matter of time until things come together.

On the other hand, Wandstadt seems to be making it click at Pitt.
I doubt Notre Dame would ever consider hiring Gruden.

I have no idea what it says or why, but a post on the ND board says "Gruden IS OUT." I agree with everyone else that Ferentz is highly unlikely to go to ND, but I like the rumor - Gophs need all the help they can get. (I believe it was a reporter at the Chicago Sun Times who covers at ND that said on ESPN that a very close ND source said Ferentz was one of four possiblities.)

Gruden will not be the coach at Notre Dame because he just signed a multi-year deal with ESPN with expanded duties like college bowl games.

The latest rumor today from Colin Cowherd is that Bob Stoops and Ferentz are on ND's short list. Stoops actually is quoted as saying he is "interested in Notre Dame." Plus he is from Ohio and coached at Iowa, He feels he knows the midwest well for recruiting. Stoops to ND would be huge news

uhh, he would be the one running the program.

and no matter how down to earth he tries to seem, he WOULD leave for the right $ amount.

What I meant was the people who REALLY run the program - administrators, boosters, etc. No mere "coach" ever is in control in South Bend.

Moore was Ferentz' mentor. As I said, the only school I've ever heard Ferentz publicly disparage is Notre Dame - and most believe it is directly due to their shameful treatment of Moore (who won his discrimination lawsuit, FWIW).

But if they lose to Minnesota on Saturday a big chunk of your fan base may be screaming for his head; just like they did in 2007 after the Purdue game.:eek: Some were still saying it after the Michigan State game last year, though most of the venom then was directed at the Offensive Coordinator.

We've got a number of fans who would rather see the Gophers lose just so they can say "I told you so" about Brewster. The juries still out on Brewster, so even a lot of supporters of the program have no real idea how he'll end -up doing. Neither do the actual trolls from Iowa or Wisconsin by the way.

But Ferentz?

He had a hell-of-a track record by 2007. I just will never get how quick fans were to forget that because of a bad streak.

I hope this year's streak goes to three before the Hawkeyes break it in a Bowl Game. :clap:

There has never been a BIG chunk of our fan base that screamed for Ferentz to be fired. Its more like a small chunk who are loud and whiny. A vast majority of Iowa fans supported Kirk Ferentz in the down years of 2006 and 2007. The Offensive Coordinator, well that may be a different story.

There has never been a BIG chunk of our fan base that screamed for Ferentz to be fired. Its more like a small chunk who are loud and whiny. A vast majority of Iowa fans supported Kirk Ferentz in the down years of 2006 and 2007. The Offensive Coordinator, well that may be a different story.

Fair enough; looks like we've even seen of them around here!:D

Good Luck in your, hopefully Non- BCS Bowl Game MplsHawk!

The only way I see Ferentz leaving IC if for NFL for control

He would want an NFL team that would give him player personel control and big bank money guaranteed contract. He has already truned down other college programs and some bad NFL teams from media reports. The dude already
makes big money in IC and really does not have a lot of inticements to go anywhere else in college.

If you are the ND AD the first thing you do is fly down to Gainesville and personally give Urban Meyer a blank check and say fill it out and what else do you need. If he fills it out problem sloved if not Plan B. What plan B is I don't know but I would guess it isn't Ferentz simply because it isn't a sexy enough name. I also doubt that it would be Stoops simply because Colin Cowherd said/reported it and that guy doesn't know his head from the hole in ground. Kelly is as good as guess as I have. Being ND the name has to have sexy and big and Ferentz isn't that.

Captain Pudding Pants is definitely out after the season. But why would anyone want to leave Iowa? I'm sure that is what Iowa's delusional fan base is thinking, anyway.

If you are the ND AD the first thing you do is fly down to Gainesville and personally give Urban Meyer a blank check and say fill it out and what else do you need. If he fills it out problem sloved if not Plan B. What plan B is I don't know but I would guess it isn't Ferentz simply because it isn't a sexy enough name. I also doubt that it would be Stoops simply because Colin Cowherd said/reported it and that guy doesn't know his head from the hole in ground. Kelly is as good as guess as I have. Being ND the name has to have sexy and big and Ferentz isn't that.

It was reported everywhere, it wasn't Cowherd's story. Sun Times, South Bend's newspaper, etc. Another name that was mentioned on espn was Pat Fitzgerald. I know he is an NU alum, but he is also from the South Side of Chicago so the ND job might intrigue him. Great coach too, I think he'd do really well at a big program.

There is no way in hell Ferentz is going to Notre Dame. Why the hell would he ever even consider that.

I don't know if Weis is going anywhere. Times are tough and he's got an 18 million dollar buyout clause (plus they'd need to sign his replacement to a hefty contract).

I don't know if Weis is going anywhere. Times are tough and he's got an 18 million dollar buyout clause (plus they'd need to sign his replacement to a hefty contract).

Ha....hefty.

I hate to say anything even remotely positive about our neighbors to the south but why the hell would Ferentz ever leave Iowa for ND? ND is not what it used to be, it's a sliding program.

Gruden will not be the coach at Notre Dame because he just signed a multi-year deal with ESPN with expanded duties like college bowl games.

The latest rumor today from Colin Cowherd is that Bob Stoops and Ferentz are on ND's short list. Stoops actually is quoted as saying he is "interested in Notre Dame." Plus he is from Ohio and coached at Iowa, He feels he knows the midwest well for recruiting. Stoops to ND would be huge news

Gruden may not end up being the coach but this is what you are using as your logic, ESPN is not going to pay him anywhere in the vicinity of what ND could pay.

Top Bottom