FCS Championship Game

Big ten 6-4 in bowls (including Rutgers getting put in at the last minute) and SEC 5-7. Not gonna rehash the same arguments from the last week but SEC amazing at the top, very average below that. BIG Ten has more depth.
But oh what a top it is and will continue to be. Depth schmepth

So, I went to Minnesota State University Moorhead and lived for a while in the Fargo area. Bison sure have a good thing going there at NDSU and I kind of get why fans are the way they are. I think the question is what do they want to do next.

I think there's discussion about a move to the FBS, but there are a few things in that case. What conference would they be in? Both the MAC and MWC would have a lot of travel involved. Also, would they want to leave? That program will likely continue getting trophies, do they want to trade that for a low level bowl?
Same here, and Fargo is a pretty nice and fun city, believe it or not. (the city of Moorhead is an absolute dump except for the two college campuses).

The problem with going FBS is geography, plain and simple. Fargo is just so isolated from any FBS conference. The MWC would be the best fit, but the nearest school would be Colorado State. I suspect they'd be required to become a full member, which makes travel expensive for non-revenue sports. Of course they'd have to get an invite to a conference as well, and I've not heard of anyone even considering it.

UND (the hockey school in Grand Forks) struggled financially the few years they were in the Big Sky and a big part of that was travel costs, which is why they moved to the MVFC and Summit League. NDSU would have the same issues, and if the state didn't help UND financially in that respect, they aren't going to help NDSU.

Most of the other big football programs at that level have now moved up, or are in process of doing it. That will leave NDSU to continue to win titles because their real competition has left them behind.

Much of Fargo doesn't care anymore either. Bison did not even sellout the 19k Fargodome for most of the season.
It becomes pretty boring when your team is beating up on the S. Illinois of the world every week 49-3.

And the Fargodome is a terrible place to watch a game. It's dark and dismal and like watching football in a warehouse. And for some reason, they don't sell beer at Bison games, even though the stadium is city-owned and technically not part of the campus. And even though the infrastructure is there, since they sell beer at concerts and other events.

Same here, and Fargo is a pretty nice and fun city, believe it or not. (the city of Moorhead is an absolute dump except for the two college campuses).

The problem with going FBS is geography, plain and simple. Fargo is just so isolated from any FBS conference. The MWC would be the best fit, but the nearest school would be Colorado State. I suspect they'd be required to become a full member, which makes travel expensive for non-revenue sports. Of course they'd have to get an invite to a conference as well, and I've not heard of anyone even considering it.

UND (the hockey school in Grand Forks) struggled financially the few years they were in the Big Sky and a big part of that was travel costs, which is why they moved to the MVFC and Summit League. NDSU would have the same issues, and if the state didn't help UND financially in that respect, they aren't going to help NDSU.

Most of the other big football programs at that level have now moved up, or are in process of doing it. That will leave NDSU to continue to win titles because their real competition has left them behind.
I've been to Fargo a few times and I can't say I've been impressed. Rhombus Guys Pizza is solid though.

As Urban Meyer and Nick Saban have discovered it's harder when the other team pays their players too

I've been to Fargo a few times and I can't say I've been impressed. Rhombus Guys Pizza is solid though.
I've always described Fargo as a flat version of Duluth
  • Duluth has the Miller Hill Mall. Fargo has the West Acres Mall.
  • Fargo and Duluth both have most of the same types of chain restaurants, hotels, etc.
  • Fargo has NDSU, Duluth has UMD.
  • Fargo has Moorhead, Duluth has Superior.
  • The Fargo-Moorhead area has Concordia College, the Duluth-Superior area has College of St. Scholastica.
  • Moorhead has MSUM, Superior has University of Wisconsin-Superior.
  • Fargo sports is dominated by Bison football, Duluth sports is dominated by Bulldogs hockey.
  • Fargo has West Fargo, Duluth has Hermantown.
  • Fargo has their downtown area with a lot of local attractions. Duluth has their downtown and canal park.
  • Both are regional health hubs. Fargo has Sanford, Duluth has Essentia.
  • Fargo has agriculture as a surrounding industry. Duluth has shipping.

I've always described Fargo as a flat version of Duluth
  • Duluth has the Miller Hill Mall. Fargo has the West Acres Mall.
  • Fargo and Duluth both have most of the same types of chain restaurants, hotels, etc.
  • Fargo has NDSU, Duluth has UMD.
  • Fargo has Moorhead, Duluth has Superior.
  • The Fargo-Moorhead area has Concordia College, the Duluth-Superior area has College of St. Scholastica.
  • Moorhead has MSUM, Superior has University of Wisconsin-Superior.
  • Fargo sports is dominated by Bison football, Duluth sports is dominated by Bulldogs hockey.
  • Fargo has West Fargo, Duluth has Hermantown.
  • Fargo has their downtown area with a lot of local attractions. Duluth has their downtown and canal park.
  • Both are regional health hubs. Fargo has Sanford, Duluth has Essentia.
  • Fargo has agriculture as a surrounding industry. Duluth has shipping.
Duluth has the big lake and tourism (and many good restaurants and breweries).

Minor correction. The city of Moorhead does have the best Dairy Queen in the world. Grandfathered in before corporate DQ was a thing they make their own rules. They make their own creations and do whatever they want. Opened in 1949. The dilly bar was invented there. Matt Cullen brought the Stanley Cup there. Its amazing.

Being walking distance to two colleges, its owners must be printing money.

Minor correction. The city of Moorhead does have the best Dairy Queen in the world. Grandfathered in before corporate DQ was a thing they make their own rules. They make their own creations and do whatever they want. Opened in 1949. The dilly bar was invented there. Matt Cullen brought the Stanley Cup there. Its amazing.

Being walking distance to two colleges, its owners must be printing money.
This is true. The DQ is legendary.

I went to this, great time 23,000 loud fans standing cheering entire game. NDSU just out on an absolute Clinic. NDSU belongs FBS

1.3 million

25 GAMES IN 1 YEAR

I went to this, great time 23,000 loud fans standing cheering entire game. NDSU just out on an absolute Clinic. NDSU belongs FBS
So attendance about the same as a Wild game? Or lower than a Gopher game against a bad opponent in horrible weather?

Minnesota needs another Division I program that is legit, STU does not offer scholarships to its players, yet it does for the rest of their sports. If there was another program, you would see many of the NDSU players stay in Minnesota.

Minnesota needs another Division I program that is legit, STU does not offer scholarships to its players, yet it does for the rest of their sports. If there was another program, you would see many of the NDSU players stay in Minnesota.
I think NDSU would still be fine even with UST offering scholarships

Top Bottom